Personal View site logo
JVC 4K cameras, including GY-LS300 - 4K for $2995, GY-HM200 and GY-HM170
  • 298 Replies sorted by
  • Stronz is mistaken, there is no "noise reduction" in the LS300. In J-Log1 mode, the LS300's Sharpness control is automatically turned OFF (as are all other Camera Process settings except White Balance and exposure). As a result, you will ALWAYS need to increase sharpness in post, in addition to applying a LUT (and noise reduction if needed). You can confirm this by putting the LS300 in ITU709 mode, and manually turn the Sharpness setting to OFF. Of course, sharpness has nothing to do with the selected gamma profile, and it would REALLY help if JVC enabled the Sharpness control in J-Log1 mode as well.

Unlike the LS300, the Panasonic GH4 and its predecessors do not allow you to turn off the camera's Sharpness control. Even when set at minimum sharpness, these cameras will enhance the sharpness of both JPEG and H.264 images. Although the GH4 is blessedly free of moire, its Optical Low Pass Filter is designed for 16 megapixel still photography rather than 1080p or 4K video. As a result, a significant amount of the crisp detail you see in GH4 video is due to sharpness-enhanced aliasing artifacts. The LS300 looks soft by comparison, primarily because its OLPF is designed for 4K video rather than still photos.

• Wouldn't the GH4's AA filter being designed/sized for 16MP be perfect for its 4K modes, which are 1:1 pixel-to-pixel, just like photos?

And wouldn't the LS300's AA filter cause problems in any of the crop modes where it's downscaling to get to output resolution? I.E. anything above 1:1?

• Although the GH4 is blessedly free of moire, its Optical Low Pass Filter is designed for 16 megapixel still photography rather than 1080p or 4K video. As a result, a significant amount of the crisp detail you see in GH4 video is due to sharpness-enhanced aliasing artifacts. The LS300 looks soft by comparison, primarily because its OLPF is designed for 4K video rather than still photos.

If scaling is properly implemented OLPF must be designed as it is in GH4.

• @aldolega There's no such thing as "one-to-one" pixel scaling with a Bayer array image sensor. The sensor isn't made of RGB pixels, it's a matrix of individual mono- colored sensels. To demosaic the sensor, multiple sensels are weighted to produce each individual RGB pixel. The OLPF minimizes alaising artifacts by filtering out details that are too fine to be resolved by the effective resolution of the sensor.

• I built a LUT for J-Log1 using a specification provided by JVC. I tested a little myself using sample footage, and it looked pretty good to me. Maybe some of you guys with the camera want to test it yourselves and let me know what you think.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16259/logarist-color-correction-for-davinci-resolve-vegas-pro-and-final-cut-pro-x/p1

• NEW FIRMWARE FOR JVC GY-LS300CH CAMERA ADDS 4K 4:2:2 RECORDING AND 60P OUTPUT

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2017/nab/gyls300_inferno.html

• Full PR

JVC Professional Video, a division of JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation, today announced the Version 4.0 firmware upgrade for its popular GY-LS300CH 4KCAM Super 35 handheld camcorder that increases color resolution to 4:2:2 in 4K mode recording and expands Ultra HD (3840x2160) output to include 60/50p. JVC will demonstrate the new capabilities during the 2017 NAB Show (Booth C4315), which runs April 24-27 in Las Vegas, Nev.

Version 4.0 provides 4:2:2 (8-bit) 4K recording at 24/25/30p onboard to SDXC media cards. In addition, IP remote function will now allow remote control and image viewing in 4K. When using 4K 4:2:2 recording mode, the video output from the HDMI/SDI terminals is HD. The Version 4.0 firmware upgrade is free of charge for all current GY-LS300CH owners and will be available in late May.

The GY-LS300CH will also now have the capability to output Ultra HD at 60/50p via its HDMI 2.0b port. Through JVC’s partnership with Atomos, the GY-LS300CH will operate seamlessly with the new Ninja Inferno and Shogun Inferno monitor recorders, triggering recording from the camera’s start/stop operation. Plus, when the camera is set to J-Log1 gamma recording mode, the Atomos units will record the HDR footage and display it on their integrated, seven-inch monitors.

“The upgrades included in our Version 4.0 firmware provide performance enhancements for high raster recording and IP remote capability in 4K, adding even more content creation flexibility to the GY-LS300CH,” said Craig Yanagi, product marketing manager, JVCKENWOOD. “Seamless integration with the new Ninja Inferno will help deliver 60p to our customers and allow them to produce outstanding footage for a variety of 4K and UHD productions.”

JVC and Atomos will also collaborate on a special promotion when the GY-LS300CH and Ninja Inferno are purchased together at participating resellers.

Designed for cinematographers, documentarians, and broadcast production departments, the GY-LS300CH features JVC's 4K Super 35 CMOS sensor and an industry standard Micro Four Thirds (MFT) lens mount. With its unique Variable Scan Mapping technology, the GY-LS300CH adjusts the sensor to provide native support of MFT, PL, EF, and other lenses, which connect to the camera via third-party adapters. Other features include Prime Zoom, which allows shooters using fixed-focal (prime) lenses to zoom in and out without loss of resolution or depth, and a built-in HD streaming engine with Wi-Fi and 4G LTE connectivity for live HD transmission directly to hardware decoders as well as JVCVIDEOCLOUD, Facebook Live, and other CDNs.

• Great news @vitaly, thanks you !

• Very nice to see constant improvements.

• v4.0 firmware available

• 4K 60P/50P HDMI Output
    • 4:2:2 REC in 4K 30p/25p/24p
    • IP View Remote in 4K 30p/25p/24p mode

http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareupgrade/versionentry.jsp?modelId=62

• v4.0 firmware available

• 4K 60P/50P HDMI Output
    • 4:2:2 REC in 4K 30p/25p/24p
    • IP View Remote in 4K 30p/25p/24p mode

http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareupgrade/versionentry.jsp?modelId=62

• is there any 60p 4k inferno footage available or anyone can share plz.

• i can see lot of camera shakes i guess owners must be missing some sort of in Camera Stabilization?

• This camera has the best mid term upgrades ive ever witness. If it was not for its 8 bit...

Maybe they could pull up a 10 bit 4:2:2 on 1080p 24p that should be grate. Well i dont know what LSI this camera has, either way if its that flexible it well could make that 10 bit solution.

I really wish they bring up a LS-300 MKII. With all the 10 bit 60p 4k and this kind of suppport i would no doubt on get one.

Its really sad they are not that well known.

• @waqarch The LS300 is compatible with the OIS feature on some of Panasonic's more recent lenses. These include the 12-35mm & 35-100mm f2.8 zooms, the 30mm f2.8 and 42.5 OIS primes. Here's a link to JVC's lens compatibility chart:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachments/jvc-4k-pro-handheld-camcorders/37060d1485272205-ls300-lensprotocols-jvcjyls300_tested_lens_info.pdf

• how is high ISO noise on this? there is a concern that some sort of noise reduction going on in camera affecting overall sharpness of image. how bad is that? and upto what ISO its really usable? Also does JLOG a real diffrence in Dynamic range or its just a lower value of sat,contrast, color etc?

• damn, for half a second I thought that was the LS300 for $1.3K! :-o

So excited... then I calmed down when I realised that it was not the LS300, but the small sensor little brother :-/

• I still love the LS300, another actor's showreel scene, with LS300 and samyang primes...

• hi all, will be getting a ls300 next week. am now in the mkt for a nice std lens. i have various m43 primes + zooms already, but am looking for a lens that can really show off the picture quality of this new cam. any suggestion? tkx. cindy.

• @cindy6 - Some sharp primes that look great in 4K on the LS300: 30mm - 50mm Rokinon, Tamron SP, and Sigma Art lenses. These are readily available in either Nikon or Canon mounts. Full-frame primes can be used with both adapters and speedboosters without vignetting. APS-C lenses will work fine with adapters, but may vignette with speedboosters.

• heres my first use on a wedding. bit of sharpening in post. 1080p recorded in cam. used atomos inferno for monitoring. 1. is there any speedbooster that works on this camera for nikkor glass? Metabones did'nt work bcos of closeness to sensor. 2. i have latest firmware 4.0 but cannot see JLOG option. I used cinema vivid for this. Can someone plz guide what am i missing?

• @waqarch - I use the Metabones adapter and 0.7X speedbooster with the LS300. Just remove the tripod mount from the speedbooster and it fits fine. the J-Log1 mode is found under the Gamma setting in the Camera Process menu. It is not just a gamma profile, it presets all options except White Balance and exposure. In-camera sharpening is turned completely OFF, so plan on using Unsharp Mask in post, typically 50-100%. I much prefer J-Log1, particularly when shooting with LED stage lighting.

• @LPowell tkx:) I've decided on a 35mmish lens. The Sigma Art is an obvious choice. But I found that I'm in love w/ Voigtlander 35/1.2. just love its painterly look. on 2nd hand here it's not much more expensive than the Sigma. or I can go cheap with Sigma's DN 30/1.4. not only it is cheap, it comes in native MFT mount. do you have any insight into these lenses? is there any other odd ball lens that I should check out b4 making a decision?