Personal View site logo
Xiaomi Xiaoyi YI-M1 m43 camera, 4K video, $213 only now for kit
  • 303 Replies sorted by
  • New firmware 3.0 beta 2 (actual number 2.6.4-int)

• Support Olympus lenses MF clutch
    • C-AF speeds improved two times
    • Video C-AF also improved, now matches Panasonic G80
    • Video AE improvemens
    • The screen flicker problem solved during continuous shooting;

Plus lot of small fixes.

get at http://www.personal-view.com/downloads/firmware.zip

• I'm interested in buying this camera but would really need live HDMI out. Didn't see it mentioned in either of the recent beta firmware notes. Would anyone know if it's been silently patched in, or if not, what the company's plans are for this feature?

• @Ryvaeus

It is absent still.

I do not know about all plans, but ones I know do not have it, can be hardware.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @Ryvaeus Weird, isn't?

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.01.12 AM.png
    891 x 524 - 382K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.00.47 AM.png
    953 x 527 - 367K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.00.30 AM.png
    957 x 532 - 298K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev firmware link is broken. Could you make it available, please?

• @samuelcabral

Check now, just two letters messed up.

• New firmware 3.0 beta 3 (internal is 1.37 now, from 1.35atm)

• Histogram must now work in manual video work properly
    • Other manual modes fixes

Plus lot of small fixes.

get at http://www.personal-view.com/downloads/firmware.zip

• Weird... I can't update with this file. I've already tried with 2 sdcards but the camera couldn't go thru

• @samuelcabral

We updated our both M1s, so all good for certain.

• If you did the previous firmware, this new one should be just as easy.

Make sure to extract the firmware. The file you put in the memory card should say firmware.bin.

Then when you put it in the memory card, it should be in the root. Basically it should not be in any folders. Just copy it into the memory card.

Make sure battery have enough charge.

Swipe from left to right to get into the menu. Scroll all the way to the bottom and hit "Firmware" Then press the 2 external buttons on the right side of the screen at the same time. Circle and Triangle button. Choose "Upgrade Camera Firmware".

• Thanks, guys! It worked! I'm already testing the new firmware.

• New firmware 3.0 final (internal is 1.39 now, from 1.37)

• Various fixed of bugs

Get at http://www.personal-view.com/downloads/firmware.zip

• Do they have any interest in 24p? I'm looking for a set of road cameras that are not going to break the bank if they are lost or damages.

• @DrDave

For now it has some quite severe bugs they can't fix.

24p and more is far away, I think.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev what are those bugs, thinking of getting this as a cheap walkaround

• @pureaxis

Need to first test last firmware.

Previous versions liked to randomly switch from manual mode to AF and such.

• One of the issues with the camera is that you cannot see your adjustments live (View how the video will truly look) in full manual mode unless you hit the record button. You could see your adjustments if you choose other modes such as Aperture or Shutter priority for example. The good news is that you can still adjust the aperture, shutter and ISO after you hit record in full manual mode. Would be way better if you were able to see your settings live before you hit record like you could on a Panasonic M43 camera when you set the dial to movie mode. I'm hoping in a future firmware update, you'd be able to do that on the M1.

Except for the latest firmware, if you were to set up a shot in manual focus mode, about several seconds later, it would automatically switch to auto focusing mode. As if the manual adjustment issue wasn't bad enough as is. As mentioned, it seams like the latest firmware have fixed this problem because I'm not noticing it now. I really wish it was fixed earlier because it was truly a pain having to deal with this issue. It's still not perfect. If you shut the camera off and put it back on, it'll go back to auto focus. I'll need to test this more.

In 4K mode, it'll only shoot until it reaches to around 7 and a half minutes. Basically stopping at around 4GB. If you want to shoot longer without the camera stopping, you'll need to shoot in 1080p. Another negative about the 4K mode is that it's not as wide as HD. Basically you'll have more in the shot shooting in HD than you would with 4K at the same focal length. This is actually how it is with the Panasonic UX90. You get a wider image with HD unlike the UX180 in which HD and 4K is about the same. While I'm at it, the Panasonic GH4 also gives you a wider image in HD.

The GH5 is definitely leagues better than the Yi M1 in many, many areas but it's definitely a very big price difference. The Yi M1 is still a good value for just $300 and that includes the 12-40mm lens. For a package that includes the 12-40mm and the 42.5mm f /1.8, it's only $380.

The competition for the Yi M1 would be the Panasonic GX850. for $548. It has a movable screen unlike the M1 which is fixed. It does not have a movie mode on the dial unlike some of the more expensive M43 cameras from Panasonic so I'm I don't know how the manual controls are on that for video.

• Video I shot of a pet parade and competition using this camera and the included zoom lens.

• The app for the phone got updated.

1. Added menu settings of continuous shooting and focus mode.
    2. Supported remote shooting for non-contact lens.
    3. Supported downloading RAW files.
    4. Supported downloading videos.
    5. Adapted to the firmware version 3.0
    6. Fixed minor known bugs.
  • Official v3.0 press release

New

• Added exposure control in the mode P/A/S/M for video capture
    • Added AF/MF control for video capture.
    • Added RAW+JPG format for still capture
    • Added still image option in Time Lapse
    • Added the option to shoot 1-3 images when using the self-timer function with an initial 2 second or 10 second timer settings
    • Added a histogram in live view mode for both still and video capture
    • Added new focus viewing modes with improved image quality including: 6x, 8x and 10x magnification in MF mode
    • Added 2 ways to show the Metering mode in the UI
    • Added the user guide (Restoring factory settings to view)
    • Added multiple selection of images for deletion.
    • Added 2 new options for the display grid
    • AE algorithm optimization
    • Master Guide template display logic optimized
    • Improved AF speed

Fixed

Fixed some known bugs, and improved the overall stability of the system.

Changed

Change the thumbnails in each screen from 9 to 12 images.

http://www.personal-view.com/downloads/firmware.zip

• More detailed version of changes

Functionality:

• Added exposure control in the mode P/A/S/M for video capture
    • Added AF/MF control for video capture
    • Added RAW+JPG format for still capture
    • Added a quick control panel on main shooting screen, which greatly improves access to frequently used settings:
      • Focus Mode (S-AF, C-AF, MF, MF+Peak Focus)
      • ISO (Auto, 100-25600)
      • White Balance
      • Metering Mode
      • File Format (JPEG, RAW, RAW+JPEG)
      • Drive Mode (Single, Continuous, 2s and 10s Self-Timer)
    • Added a histogram in live view mode for both still and video capture
    • Added the option to shoot 1-3 images when using the self-timer function with an initial 2 second or 10 second timer setting
    • Supports remote shooting using the YI M1 App
    • Added still image option to Time Lapse
    • Raised Auto ISO maximum limit from 3200 to 25600

Focus stuff:

• Improved AF speed by approximately 300%
    • Improved AF speed and accuracy in low light
    • Added new focus viewing modes with improved image quality including: 6x, 8x and 10x magnification in MF mode
    • Supports AF upon selecting a focal point manually

Image Quality:

• Greatly improved 4K video quality.
    • Greatly improved still image quality, especially in high ISO and low light environment in JPEG and RAW
    • AE algorithm optimization greatly improved
    • UI/ Display:

Improved Touch Screen Control experience.

• Added 2 ways to show the Metering mode in the UI
    • Added the user guide (Restoring factory settings to view)
    • Added 2 new options for the display grid
    • Master Guide template display logic optimized
    • Change the thumbnails in each screen from 9 to 12 images.
    • Improved the display for f-stop (F), shutter speed (S) and exposure compensation (EV) on the Live view interface, especially if that function cannot be selected
    • Added a prompt message when switching Macro and Normal modes for the f/1.8 42.5mm prime lens

Other:

• Added multiple selection of images for deletion.
    • Improved the overall stability of the system
    • Added sleep mode
    • Supports ISO AUTO in M mode
    • Added French, Italian and Spanish languages
    • Greatly improved the compatibility with M 4/3 lenses
    • Improved SD card compatibility
    • Improved Auto power off function
    • Improved the audio quality when recording video
  • Wow! Some progress finally.

• Still crossing my fingers for clean HDMI out~

• Alternate way to install firmware instead of using the SD card. If your cell phone is a Apple or an Android phone you can install the YI app. With that app you connect to the camera with Bluetooth. Then you can install firmware updates to the camera or the lens using your cell phone.