Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Looks that GH5 is not holding its value. In few months its price has dropped about 400-500 dollars in Finland. Maybe it is not selling very well after many advanced users got their own. I think GH5 is too advanced camera for most users.

• Seems to be holding it's price in North America. I don't think it's a matter of being to advanced just having a overly advanced price tag. I want one but just can't justify it for my business when I can buy 2 G85's and have money left over. Perhaps it's a victim of there own success with the G85.

• Price in the UK hasn't really moved since launch. There has been a few offers here and there, but still at £1699 body only.

• Current Panasonic LSI problems with 400Mbit are serious

From EVA1 press release

On first release, available bit rates will range from as low as 8Mbps up to 150Mbps, depending on frame rate, resolution, and codec. In a future firmware update, 400Mbps recording will be added.

Developers for now are unable to make it work.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Any idea if the LSI in the EVA1 is same or similar to that of the GH5 and in your opinion do you think they will be able to deliver that 400Mbps update?

Wish canon had more info about their feature XF-AVC update on the C200. Would have made my decision a little easier. But then again, maybe they don't wanna promise something they can't deliver.

• @HillTop1

Today LSI design and masks cost so much that companies hardly can offer to make custom chips for such small scales as expected EVA1 sales.

Small guys like BM and Red use very inefficient FPGA to make it work for their scale.

Of course marketing and PR will fight for death that it is super duper custom thing.

• lol my translation, the LSI in the EVA1 is probably similar to that in the GH5 because Panasonic will not wanna take the cost to design a new LSI for the EVA1; a camera small custome camera that's probably not gonna sell well.

400Mbps is probably not gonna happen but PR and marketing is gonna try to safe face lol.

• @HillTop1

Also EVA1 is first time repeat of same PR hysteria we had with AF100. Even some faces are still same and not had been made responsible for losses Panasonic had with AF100.

• Hmmm, so they state that a 400Mbps firmware is coming and then pull it - I presume we can all send back our GH5 for a refund.... :)

• @thetrickster

You can't pull that does not exist.

They just delayed it a little. Plus formally summer ends in January :-)

• Seriously, though, what's the latest word on this patch? (And would using an external recorder enable higher bitrates without the patch?)

• Of course an external recorder "enables" higher bitrates. That is true for any camera that has a clean HDMI out. Indeed, many cameras output 4:2:2 color (all Sony's) through the HDMI port. So, with an external recorder (e.g. Atomos Inferno) you can record UHD at 400+ Mbps (Pro res) 4:2:2 from a Sony, and you don't have to shoot with a puny sensor.

• @Brian_Siano

Seriously, though, what's the latest word on this patch? (And would using an external recorder enable higher bitrates without the patch?)

Not patch. It is firmware update.
    We'll see how it goes. But this words are official and it make zero sense to delay it for camera they expect to ship in December at best if you have it working without issues, as it is good sale point.
    Management figured out that high bitrates are popular.

• I still don't understand why they don't just use H.265 to improve quality and not have to increase the bitrate. This does seem to be a market failure.

• @markr041

It is two part issue. One being good encoder being very complex. Another being very complex conflicting licenses.

• @markr041 "So, with an external recorder (e.g. Atomos Inferno) you can record UHD at 400+ Mbps (Pro res) 4:2:2 from a Sony, and you don't have to shoot with a puny sensor."

Let's not forget that's it's $1,000 extra for that A7SII plus the cost of the recorder and media. Not to mention the extra cost that is usually associated with FF lenses for that cam. The whole point of this FW update was to enable this ability in camera. Much different and much bigger deal IMHO. Plus the GH5 already shoots 422 10 bit internally with no need of recorder if that's all one is after.

• 400mbs will happen. So many pessimists here.