Personal View site logo
Canon Cinema EOS C300 topic
  • 267 Replies sorted by
  • you have Scorcese be a guest speaker but churn out crap like this? If this was supposed to be history making, why not get a fucking ultra talented director to create an indelible vision here?

I couldn't agree more.
  • If I am not mistaken they have only showed small sensor cam. If this thing is smaller than 4/3 even if it is 4k it won't be of any interest to me, and I think to many.
  • JVC is smart, they waited....
    Dont no when they come with there 4k. (in 60 fps...
    The new cinema camera entry level price of the FS-100 (6-7k €).
    http://pro.jvc.com/pro/events/4Kforums/index.html
  • I have been thinking about the C300. So Canon put some video in the 5d mark2 as an afterthought, just for some news gathering and it is resounding success. For what it was, a photo camera that shoot video, it gave access to the large sensor cinema look to everyone. Now they have 3 years, decide and plan some dedicated video camera for this market they have created and they deliver a 8 bit 50 mbit, 60fps in 720p only, for an astounding $ 20 000. Apart from its sensor this camera has more or less the same processing than its XF line starting at $ 3 500.

Now I do understand that it was effectively an accident the Canon 5D mark 2, because if they had anticipated it video success they would have sold it at a much higher price.
  • @ mpgxsvcd
    it'll even be more unaffordable then.
  • 50 mb/sec 1080p MPEG2? Shouldn’t this announcement have been made in 2006?
  • I am confused. I have seen reports that the Canon records 1080p MJPEG and other reports that say that it is 4K but that it actually records 1080p 4:2:2 MPEG2? So which is it? Is this truly a 4K camera? Does this record MPEG2 or MJPEG? Is there a difference between those two?

It also says that in 4K mode it actually records less than true 35mm. Really this press release was not very clear.

Honestly, the camera itself doesn’t look that exciting. What I want are lenses with the same specs in m4/3s mounts(ie: smaller).

Edit: Never-mind, I see now that I was confusing the future 4K press release with the 1080p one.
  • Vitaliy whats about your updated hack which kicks the Red and the Canon away?
  • Yeah I think the EOS rocks more than the Red, and if the market price gets on the same heights like the Red then it will be a better choise. Yes no 50/60p sucks and the 8bit too but unfortunately the Canon offers more user friendly workflow
  • @Vitaliy I have watched the Vincent Laforet short and I find the imagery very very good. I am sure that such a camera in good hands is going to output some very very good image. In fact everything is a question of threshold. Once you reach it, you can do some nice to very good imagery. A true 1080p HD resolution, with about 12 stop of DR is already very very good (The 8 bit is a let down). Everything that comes above is just icing on the cake. For example, until now I did not see any video from the Sony F3 that is better than the Canons one. This tells you all about production value because on paper the s-log F3 is superior.

But I have seen a lot of people on many forum or even here that have already committed money to the scarlet-X. Not one I have seen that has said that they are going to buy the Canon in January. This camera could have been a hit for $ 5000 to $ 8000 price range. It would have constituted a natural upgrade for much of Canon DSLR video crowd, but now even the scarlet-X seems more of an upgrade as it can autofocus with the EOS lens while the Canon camera cannot.
  • @danyyyel

Good thing is not to be extreme.
    It is just another tool.
    Someone will choose to use it and some like Scarlet more.
  • More so that they have the Scarlet-X to compete with now. Somebody should tell me what did they drank before choosing the pricing of this camera. For me it is just company greed, they just surfed on their dslr success and thought that they could put anything at any price and everybody would applaud them and buy it because they could slap a Canon logo on it.
  • Sure! Who would buy it if there is a F3 with uncompressed dual SDI out?
  • Mmm, prices are already going down?

Canon Cinema EOS C300 EF
    Our Price: £10,000.00 + VAT
    |
    £12,000.00 inc VAT
    €11,959.54 + VAT
    $16,434.68 No VAT
    http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/canon_eos_c300

Canon Cinema EOS C300 PL
    Our Price: £13,500.00 + VAT
    |
    £16,200.00 inc VAT
    €16,145.37 + VAT
    $22,186.82 No VAT
  • I liked Sword. Almost no use of the external lighting was pretty impressive. Most of the videoish scenes are prolly deep DOF. They need anamorphic lens to blur the corners :)
  • Was it just me or did the motion on those sample videos seem somewhat videoish, especially XXIT. The Desert video looked the best in my opinion.
  • Ok, so I just downloaded and watched ' Mobius' OK - I know all this is corporate fodder to showcase the capabilities of the camera - but fuck what a piece of shit. I love Laforet, I think he's a nice guy but damn you have Scorcese be a guest speaker but churn out crap like this? If this was supposed to be history making, why not get a fucking ultra talented director to create an indelible vision here? Where was the engaging storytelling? A kick ass short film would do much better in marketing this camera than producing crap like this. Was there anything shot that couldn't have been shot with less expensive, existing cameras? Or was it just because Vince was held back with no 1080/60p? :-p
  • (someone should make a Nikon to m34 adapter with a ND filter feed mechanism- either insert style (from outside) or as a round spinning disk)
  • Built-in glass ND filters 2/4/6. Nice. This should become a standard feature.
  • My technical analysis based on Canon info so far and interviews http://www.eoshd.com/content/5157/technical-analysis-of-the-new-canon-eos-c300
  • Canon EOS C300: way overpriced, not competitive, no AF, no interchangeable mount, no RAW, 8-bit? -- fail if you ask me
    Scarlet X: competitively priced, Epic Lite, good specs, shipping soon, RAW
    but
    Scarlet doesn't deliver the original promise: 3K for $3k (which is what I want to pay max) and basically is an Epic lite. A full kit will cost you around $16,000, like original RED One pricing.

So both camera's are not for me. I will happily stick with my hacked GH2.
  • value wise, the Scarlet sounds better. Even use the same Canon lenses, and autofocus. How funny. Video GIANTS, and no video coverage. Its like the turn of the 19th century. Waiting for teletype news. Silly.
  • At lease Canon are honest about resolving 1000lines (as in correct 1k definition).