Personal View site logo
Low Contrast Filters/Ultra High Contrast Filters - what's the difference in real?!?
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • Fine with Intravenus, but haven't tried it with anything lower, it's something you'll have to experiment with. Might be worth renting/borrowing one before finding out the hard way after buying one.

But you can always sell it on ebay or craigslist... or whatever.

• Fast test: GH2 + 14-42 + Fader ND filter + Tiffen Low Contrast 5 filter:

• I can't recall the exact words but David Mullen ASC was firm about that soft con is not of much use for dynamic range purposes. At most, you can gain about 1/3 of a stop, and that comes with a much softer look.. not to mention other problems that arise with more glass in front of the lens.

Filters can be of good use to alter the look of the image, but you can also f.i. use nylon stocking over the lens for that purpose.. These days, it's really not worth the hassle IMO (unless you really need a particular filtered look) - as most of it can be easily obtained in the grade, but some prefer mist filters for shooting high key to soften highlight rolloff, which produces a kind of halo effect around the light sources..

• I think the filters are worth a look. It's another tool that could come in handy in certain situations and I would rather have more tools in tough lighting situations than not.

• I have the tiffen ultra con 2 or 3, cant remember. I find it a little hard to grade when its effect is really strong, and not really worth it unless you are going for that lifted smoky look. The less intense filter numbers may be easier to work with.

• I actually liked the Ultra Contrast 1 look in the video test above. I do wonder if this would be a great way to get some character out of a cam like the Sony RX10 which doesn't have interchangeable lens capability. I also will be trying one these filters with my 50D using Magic Lantern RAW. It may work better with RAW since it has so much more data to work with and you can really push it around in Post.

• Thanks for the video @Aria - looks like...

• If you can't capture the dynamic range of a szene (window with bright sunlight and shadow areas in frame), a ultra con filter can help a lot.

• If you don't need the ultra con filter (girl sitting), better don't use it.

• Guys looking to smooth out the ursa mini 4.6k ,and get a better roll off (getting closer to alexa image ).. I have a tiffen low contrast #2 (not ultra contrast ,not sure if they are same or not) and I also have tiffen black pro mist 1/4 ,which one would be best to use ,thanks in advance

• In my opinion, UltraCons do better at extending DR than Low Con filters. I used to use this to lift shadows for the GH2 and then crush them back down a little in post. The goal was to lift the exposure above where the GH2 mushed everything together, but I think most cameras have moved past the need to do this. I wouldn't do it anymore. Maybe it still offers a benefit with the Ursa mini, I don't know, but my guess is that it's just replicating the flatter look of a log colorspace without providing the additional dynamic range.

• I use promist mainly for how it produces halation