Personal View site logo
312A, 312AS, 312ASZ Lishuai LED Light
  • 79 Replies sorted by
  • I wonder if these lights will strobe when dimmed.
  • >I wonder if these lights will strobe when dimmed.

As I know they do not strobe.
    TheEditman used them on pro shots, including dimmed state, after this bough more of same lights :-)
  • Some rough measurements at 1m:
    F&V Z96 with diffuser - 450 lux
    312AS with diffuser at 5600K - 850 lux
    312AS with diffuser at 3200K - 650 lux
    300W halogen worklight - 2200 lux
    500W halogen worklight - 3600 lux

The latter is more or less equal to the luminance in the room near the window on an overcast day. While outside luminance is around 10000-15000 lux.
  • @zigizigi

How about without diffuser and at intermadiate temperature setting?
  • Slightly better:
    312AS w/o diffuser at 5600K - 980 lux
    312AS w/o diffuser at 3200K - 720 lux
    312AS w/o diffuser mixed color - 950 lux

While Z96 yields 530 lux without diffuser.
  • As ebay sellers claim 6580 lux @ 50cm I also measured this. My test rendered 3000 lux only. While that 6580 figure seems to be plausible for 312A (5600K only) model it's not the case with 312AS. Beware!
  • I ordered 2 sets of the bi-colour lights a couple of weeks ago. The whole process went really well, with the lights shipping on the Monday or Tuesday after I'd ordered them on the Saturday. They arrived a week later and so far seem to be great.

There was a slight issue with one of the lights, it wouldn't work consistently off of mains power. I reported it to the seller and considered a return, but the temptation was too great to try and see if I could fix it myself. Thankfully it wasn't too bad, hardly rocket science just like Vitaliy said it wouldn't be, although it could have been easier to get at the offending solder points. I've thrown together a cheesy video on my iPhone which may be interesting for anyone else wondering what lies inside them.

I've added a small description of the disassembly into the video description on vimeo.
  • Got my 312AS today - very nice light and handy extras in the box:-)

Only the power indicator (the 4 leds on the back) doesn't work. I wrote them an email... (waiting for reply)
  • @Psyco

You pressed the buton to the left of indicator? I mean T in circle.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

O.O I didn't realise that this is a button - oh oh, shame on me :-(
  • I'm thinking of shooting a test video to judge the power of these lights, and wondered if anyone had some suggestions on anything useful to shoot?

I was planning to just shoot with the light mounted on the camera at different distances from a subject to see how the light falls off with distance at all levels of dimming and colour temperature. Will shoot in the dark with my 25mm Nokton to see how far away I can get any useful illumination. Any other suggestions?
  • Here's my incredibly boring video showing the illumination from just a single 312 Bi-Colour LED light at different distances

• I paid for the 312AS light (via CatchIt deal) on October 6 afternoon and it arrived at my current domicile in the north of Spain on October 13 morning even though the 12 was a national holiday. That was pretty fast and with no custom bullshit problems whatsoever. Congrats to @Vitaliy_Kiselev on putting us in touch with trustworthy sellers like this one.

On another hand, as it's stated in the opening post, leds have a way of hurting your eyes that makes a proper softbox/diffuser almost compulsory. Any advice on a softbox/diffuser that will suit this little light?

Thanks a lot in advance.
  • Using Power Adapter With 312AS?

Bit confused! On the instructions of my 312As it mentions that : "The adapter is to be used for battery charging only, please do not use on the light directly".

I contacted the seller who contacted the manufacturer and they told him that the adapter does not supply enough power for long use of the light, and recommended to use batteries instead. So this begs the question why is there a DC 7.4 to 14.8v socket at the back of the light?

Any one else come across this information on their unit?

• >So this begs the question why is there a DC 7.4 to 14.8v socket at the back of the light?

Extremely strange question.
    Socket is for powering using big external bettery, for example.
    You can also use any other adapter.
    And can also use included one, if it works, without all this instructions reading.

• OK...
    Death to instruction reading.
    Hello DC adapter.. It works (even though not recommended in instructions)
    Thanks
  • Small reviews of latest 312AS

• ^ These videos seem to be for the 312 ASZ variant (magnet diffuser, better build quality). Does the current deal apply to this newer model or just the 312 AS?
  • @skiandbike

For quite long time already all 312 are as on this videos (AS or others).
    ASZ is just sellers fantazy, as I know.
    Factory just do not make old ones, so all are new. :-)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Understood. I don't need another friction arm.
  • Vitaliy,

Is the 312 5500K twice as bright as the 312 bi-colour when set to 5500K? What I mean is, when in 5500K mode, does the bi-colour have only half the LEDs lit?

Sorry if the answer has been mentioned already, and I've missed it.
  • @LucasAdamson
    Yes, of course.
    5500K is significantly brighter.
  • well.... fantastic light! I have just received bi color unit and its wonderful! i really love it! they sent it on Monday i got it already on Thursday..... so its kind of fast, it was dhl delivery, i got lucky and did not pay any custom taxes or vat.

did not find any issues so far, there is 1 little issue with its left(temperature) dimmer, it turns nice and smooth only on half, then its goes not so smooth like it touches something inside....and makes a little noise while u turning it. the good thing - it turns smooth right to the point where it goes too yellow if u turn more.
    i did not notice any noises while its working.

i really love the unit ! Its much much better than CN-160.
    some difference between these 2 :

- after i pointed that new light on a wall i noticed that there are no SPOTS in light, something that CN-160 has and u have to use a supplied filter/diffuser to get rid of it.
    - the new light is much more powerful! the new unit has less - 156 white leds and 156(yellow), but still....even 156 leds gives u much more of light, i would say twice as much. and if or when u add 156 yellow leds to it it gives u even more of light...
    - love the bi color thing so far. i really enjoyed changing the temperature to more warm light, and it really helps mixing with other light source!
    - having 2 batteries not just 1 - is a real pleasure!
    - lighting has a much wider angle!

so i would really recommend it as its cheap(considering the package), small and very useful
  • @ zcream and others who have asked if these lights are sufficient for 3 point lighting -- after receiving my order of 6 yesterday and finally having the chance to do a test today, yes, I'd say the 312s are more than capable of 3 point lighting. Was able to shoot at above f2.5 at iso 160 with one at full blast, another (fill) at 1/2 and the third at full power behind me, so would work fine with any of the primes, and most zooms (albeit some at higher iso).

Currently working on a rig to get them to work with my photoflex softboxes for the ultimate low power, low heat, small space travel setup for sitdown interviews.
  • @Jonathan_P yep, photoflex softboxes, XS S or M all work. Use their plastic speed ring, rivet (or screw) a steel plate (the kind with 2 or four holes drilled already) to the plastic speed ring, then screw the 312 light in with a seperate screw and use the black screw fasteners that come with the 312 light to tighten in place.

Probably doesn't make sense but is very easy. Will snap a photo and post when I got it setup and am shooting with it again on Wednesday. Apologies for delayed response -- on vacation for two weeks.

Screen grabs of the first test with this setup (sorry for cross posting but figure better than referencing the thread where these are already posted, only to end up reposting in the end).

Greg1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 346K
    greg3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 408K
    greg4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 379K