Personal View site logo
Neway CT710HO, 1920 x 1200 monitor
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • @scotchtape, you can adjust the zoom level. After assigning zoom to a function button, hold down that function button for 2 seconds to open a zoom menu. See AKED's function test video.

It's also possible to have multiple functions enabled at the same time, even though there are only two function buttons. Maybe not all functions can be used simultaneously, but many of them can. See AKED's video. Pixel-to-pixel and zoom cannot be used at the same time. They are mutually exclusive, by definition. They both render plenty sharp if you feed the monitor a 4k signal. If you feed it a 1080p signal and then zoom, of course it's not going to be as sharp.

• Moved @AKED video to PV channel

• Moved final @AKED video to PV channel, with brief overview of all monitor functions

• My review of the Neway CT710HO:

The Neway CT710HO is the least expensive 7" on-camera monitor with 1080p or higher resolution, so my expectations weren't very high. But the image looks quite nice, with pleasing and accurate color. A lot of things are highly configurable, like guides, aspect ratio, flipping, zoom ratio, and peaking sensitivity. The monitor accepts a 2160/30p signal, which is great for focusing combined with the 1:1 pixel mode or zoom mode. The monitor is very light for its size, which I really appreciate. The monitor has four quarter-inch screw holes, one on each side, but I don't trust their strength. I recommend using an aluminum L-bracket, or a pair of them to make a yoke, to mount the monitor via two or more of its holes. The backlight on my unit has a hot spot near the edge that's obvious when the image is very dark. It's not terrible, but a little disappointing for a monitor this expensive. A couple of times the display inexplicably started flickering when powered on, the flicker gradually subsided after a few minutes. I recommend the Sony L-type batteries over the Canons, because you get a choice of capacities, and your batteries will work in other things like portable LED lights. My 4900 mAh Wasabi battery lasts hours and is probably overkill. Having used a similar Neway 5" 1080p monitor before, the size of the 7" is very nice. 1080p is wasted on a 5" monitor.

Older versions of the Neway CT710HO monitor had buggy firmware that would make 30-fps and 60-fps signals jerky. It was as if the frame rate was being reduced internally. The problem was fixed in later versions of the firmware, but I don't know if any of the monitors shipping now might have that buggy firmware or if Neway actually provides firmware updates. I don't see any firmware updates listed on their web site. Assuming you get a monitor without the buggy firmware, this monitor is well worth the price and I recommend it.

• I don't see any firmware updates listed on their web site. Assuming you get a monitor without the buggy firmware, this monitor is well worth the price and I recommend it.

They do provide update upon request.

• PV Lab Report, Part 1, Panel measurements

Neway CT710HO panel gamut measurement, gray triangle - sRGB/Rec709 primaries

Luminance color curves (after slight user adjustment of RGB)

img2901.jpg
    687 x 554 - 66K
    img2903.jpg
    800 x 369 - 35K
  • PV Lab report, Part 2, Monitor induced delay

You need to compare only camera monitor and 7" monitor and check difference.

Camera in preview mode (delay around 100-120ms)

Default state

False color mode

Peaking mode

Camera in recording mode - 1080p60 (115-130ms)

Note - camera monitor numbers harder to see due to reduced refresh rate.

Default state

False color mode

Peaking mode

img2952.jpg
    800 x 512 - 56K
    img2953.jpg
    800 x 532 - 59K
    img2954.jpg
    800 x 511 - 52K
    img2955.jpg
    800 x 503 - 54K
    img2956.jpg
    800 x 519 - 57K
    img2957.jpg
    800 x 526 - 55K
  • PV Lab report, Part 3, Monitor panel brightness and contrast.

We get 300cd/m2 Brightness, 1800:1 Contrast specs from panel manufacturer and check the reality.

100% backlight

• White field - 252,67 cd/m2
    • Dark field - 0,323 cd/m2
    • Contrast - 766,13

75% backlight

• White field - 182 cd/m2
    • Dark field - 0,259 cd/m2
    • Contrast - 702,3

50% backlight

• White field - 122 cd/m2
    • Dark field - 0,183 cd/m2
    • Contrast - 668,2

25% backlight

• White field - 62,1 cd/m2
    • Dark field - 0,095 cd/m2
    • Contrast - 651,4
  • Just got my CT710HO monitor. Shipping was ridiculously fast (a few days from China to Korea). I've been using the Ikan V7Ki, and I just needed a higher res monitor that could accept 4k inputs to do pixel to pixel. Basically, I just needed 7" full hd monitor to focus accurately without stuff like prores recording and touchscreens. This keeps the weight, size, and price pretty low. 5" is too small for me now :).

Since I don't need to use a lot of features, I actually prefer having fewer buttons. I'm also happy to see they included guides for different aspect ratios. Not a super advanced feature, but you'd be surprised how many monitors in this price range don't have that.

I like how the hood attaches with thumb screws. I don't like using velcro too much, so it's a nice touch. Just for everyone's information, the big hood has velcro flaps used to connect the bottom piece. Took me awhile to figure that out, but it's nice to have all sides covered to maximize visibility in sunlight.

The screen lag is noticeable, but not a deal breaker. This might be a problem if you do a lot of tracking shots of quickly moving subjects, but it's fine for 95% of my cases.

Overall, this perfectly suits my needs because it doesn't have a bunch of features I don't need. With the GH5 recording high bitrate 10-bit video, I don't think I'll need external recording anyways.