Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone aware of any firm stock updates or release dates yet? I know the 20th of this month was listed, just wondered if anyone had heard earlier/later?

• Japan. Photo taken by Paul Leeming.

IMG_20170227_115610.jpg
    592 x 800 - 75K
  • @philiplipetz

I can't call it "lab results", as they call it. It is some unsystematic mumbling.

Considering dynamic range test, someone need to tell them that you don't need all this expensive backlight targets to determinate dynamic range of digital sensors. And someone else must tell them that dynamic range is different for different color channels and is dependent on sensor temperature. As far as I remember they constantly had issues with dynamic range measurements.

Charts are not properly balanced. Comparing details can be utterly misleading as you do not know algorithms underneath that can have different degree of sharpness applied.

Metabones pitching all around.

And again, new traders of LUTs, this time they ask for your emails as price.

• Using terms like 'filmic' and 'Colour harmony' in a technical test reveals a lot about the people doing the test. Concluding that 10 bit recording has no advantage over 8 bit is quite astounding. Using a LUT to assess v-log quality is not the only way to do it and can be seriously flawed if not doing a strictly controlled test. The skin tone comparison is laughable.

PS They used the Panasonic VARICAM Vlog LUT! What idiots!

• Having been using the GH4 externally (ninja Assassin Pro res) and internally, my one wish is for the GH5 to have an 8bit 422 mode. I think the really benefit using V-Log L externally seems to be the 422, not the 10 bit part. 10 bit is 'visually' the same as 422 8 bit. 10 bit benefit only comes when looking at extreme gradients. Internal 422 8 bit would be a nice compromise between size and colour info.

• The metabones selling is sickening.. hyperlinked all over the place.. and classed as a "pro" for buying the camera, that I works well with the GH5

• @nobbystylus it's more the other way around, LOG benefits more from bitdepth than colour subsampling. As you have a much flatter image, banding is a much bigger issue; 256 values are not enough, especially as no LOG format uses all values.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Cinema5d has very serious problems with many things in this so called review.

First they've disable the NR on the GH5 (at least that's what I understood) than complained they see noise in the shadows :)), so "the DR must be low". Heck I downloaded their test, brightened the shadows and applied a little bit of NR and whoops the DR is over 12 stops.

They complain about lack of detail but they've dialed the sharpness to a minimum cause it's to much...seriously?

@caveport , you make a very good point! They complain about bad color on Vlog but they edit the log profile with LUTS. :))

They see no advantage in 10 bits vs 8 bits but never show any example, like on a plain sky with a blue gradient + heavy grading.

They complain about soft 180 fps on the GH5 but never complain about the utterly crap Canon 1080p in DLSM's, which is nowhere near at 30fps compare the the GH5 180 fps.

Etc, etc.

I find cinema5d reviews very untrustworthy!

dynamic-range-panasonic-gh5.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 433K
  • Cant believe one of the pros of the camera is listed as:

"MFT sensor works very well with Metabones Speedbooster Ultra for nice shallow depth of field."

what the hell is that supposed to mean?..sensor works well??...for nice shallow depth of field? in doesnt even mention a lens in that statement so what is actually offering shallow dof?

• You can clearly see the GH5 is really 12 stops like the Fuji. Their 10 bit tests are pretty useless because they are seldom pushing where it is really needed. A good example would be a Chroma key edge between 8 and 10 bit to see where it breaks. Also you really cannot do a good comparison online on a JPG. You need at least PNG 24 and that is still not as good as uncompressed.

My bet is the 10bit 4:2:2 will trounce the 8bit 4:2:0 very easily. However I am still not ready to buy the GH5. The best thing it has going for it IMO if the IBIS which is a killer feature. However if Sony and the a7s III incorporate it I might just as well get that one. My GH4 is still fantastic and the GH5 doesn't seem a big step up in image quality to warrant an upgrade. I want more Dynamic Range and better low light and the GH5 is a very slight improvement in those areas compared to the GH4.

• "However if Sony and the a7s III incorporate it I might just as well get that one."

The Sony A7s ii has IBIS and better DR than the GH4 or 5 and is better in low light than the GH4 or GH5. Why wait for any A7s iii?

• My first post here so be nice. I took my nifty fifty (Canon FD 50mm 1.4) to a GH5 demo day today, because I know the images from that lens so well from the GH4, GH3 and GH2 (with Driftwood's awesome Moon T7 hack). Apart from all the talk about 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K 60p, there were 2 major things that made me pre-order the GH5, which are probably worth sharing here.

First, the 5-axis sensor stabilisation is jaw-droppingly good on the GH5. I dialled in the focal length of the lens in the stabiliser settings menu, and suddenly I could shoot handheld with my 100mm equivalent Canon FD lens from the 1970s for the first time ever. That sure put a smile on my face! I only use vintage manual lenses and the newer Voigtlander Noktons, so for me the new floating sensor in the GH5 is a total holy grail.

And second, the Panasonic rep said he'd been at a 2 hour-long Powerpoint talk about the GH5 recently, presented by none other than Nick Driftwood, in which Nick had said that the GH5 shadow detail is clean enough up to 6400 ISO. I pressed him on this point and he promised me that's what Nick had said. @driftwood Did he get it right?

The bad news is (here in the UK at least) that if you're wanting to get your paws on a GH5, Panasonic are telling their reps that there have been so many pre-orders the factory can't make them quick enough, so any orders placed now will effectively be on back-order with expected availability in May. So the smart thing to do is pre-order from the smallest local camera shop you can find, rather than the big guys like CVP or ProAV, as your local camera shop is more likely to be able to fulfil your pre-order from the first or second batch of deliveries towards the end of March and middle of April. And you're more likely to go to heaven if you support your local independent camera shop of course.

• @markr041 because I heard a rumor that the new FF RGBW 15MP sensor will not have IBIS. Something to do with heat dissipation. But as rumors go it could be incorrect so the camera will have it. Just waiting for the real specs to make a decision. The articulating vari-angle screen on the GH series however is hard to replace.

• I preordered mine on the jessops website the minute it became available after the official announcement from Panasonic on Jan 4th so would like to think would get one pretty early

• The A7s II also features a low coloursubsampling and bitdepth, alongside horrific rolling shutter. High DR in low bitdepth is no fun.

• GH4 vs GH5 in 1080P in DPREVIEW

3.jpg
    1772 x 813 - 324K
  • @Vesku The 4K also looks very good, not quite as detailed as the Sony A6500 but but very good nonetheless. Skin tones are very good IMO.

• "The A7s II also features a low coloursubsampling and bitdepth, alongside horrific rolling shutter. High DR in low bitdepth is no fun."

Low DR with 10bit 4:2:2 is visibly ugly (videoish) compared with high DR and 8bit 4:2:0, though it may be less "fun".

• @markr041 The GH5 has around 12+ stops of DR, quite good I'd say. Together with the 10 bits color depth and 4K from resizing it makes a wonderful image.

• @markr041 Depends a bit on what you do and what you want. I don't see the appeal of banding when material is slightly pushed, or all the wobble when you decide to pan a tripod a tad faster. When you need to work on footage a bit more, the benefits of higher quality material are more than helpful.

The first RED recorded 9-10 stops of DR and people went crazy how great it was for digital, and graded it to look great for cinema. But of course, anything under 13 stops is videoish and not cinematic... Hopefully one day we find words that are not as pedantic and generalized though :)

• Back in 2010, I saw this movie. Forgettable at best.

The interesting thing is that it was shot, in anamorphic, with the Arri D21. That camera had 10-11 stops of DR. Doesn't look too shabby to me. I know, arri color science and all that. But still. You don't need 16 stops of DR to make a good picture.

• Ok so what sd card speeds are we going to need? for both the 150mbs and looking forward to the 400mbs in the summer?