Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX80, GX85, or even GX7 Mark II in Japan
  • 417 Replies sorted by
  • On a recent visit to London. Shot with GX80 using PL 15mm.

• Another night video in London at Kew Gardens. Shot with GX80 and SLR Magic 12mm f1.6.

• Testing the poor man's Leica Nocticron (Lumix 42.5mm f1.7):

• Two days at the 2016 World Straight Pool Championships last September. Shot at 1080/60p in the Natural profile. Love this camera.

• Flowers! Flowers! More flowers!

• Great stuff, Mark.

• Firmware update! Firmware update!

Version 1.2: reduces noise while shooting video.

People did complain about IBIS noise, so this fixes that. However, I never really heard noise. Check out the Botanic Garden video above (has a real ambient soundtrack not covered over with elevator music), shot with the old firmware - notice camera noise?

• Really great footage, Mark. You are making me lust after a GX85! It has such nice, steady hand-held stuff. The IBIS does very well indeed. I hear a hum from 0:52-0:55 in the Botanic Garden clip. Is that the IBIS noise or some other ambient?

• Thanks. I hear that too, but that hum is something in the traffic. Notice in the next shot taken a few seconds later, still outdoors, there is no hum. Same lens, same settings, just less traffic noises. IBIS noise is not hum, more like white noise (when you can hear it).

The GX85 is a real pleasure - with those tiny, pocketable lenses (12-32, 35-100, 20mm) it is easy to travel with and video can be shot anywhere, for portraits, landscapes, night-time, small animals, etc.

• Never notice the humming in the camera's IBIS (the Olympus IBIS is much more audible, for instance). I hope that they did not decreased the efficiency of the stabilization.

Anyone knows an external grip for the GX85, besides the JB Design's one (which I think is too bulky, especially in the bottom plate)? Something like the E-M10's ones from Olympus (even without the quick release). A larger grip is much needed when using the camera with bigger manual focus lenses - hard to press the back dial to engage the peaking / focus magnification.

• Can someone recommend a suitable replacement battery and charger setup for this camera? Or am I better off just buying a genuine Panasonic original battery + charger...

Need to get a couple of extra batteries but need it to be reliable too.

TIA

• So, just FYI over on http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/24995-would-you-perhaps-be-interested-in-a-different-gx8085-colour-profile/ a chap has figured a way to use the remote control protocol to enable Cinelike-D on this fantastic little camera.

I've tried it. It works.

This is huge, at least to me. The new colours on this camera may well have solved the funky colour issue I was getting in rapidly changing lighting conditions (e.g. outdoors, cloudy/sunny day) with Cinelike-D before that made me shoot Prolost-style previously.

Thoughts?

• Its a great info! How can be activated a funtion that originally is not present in the camera? Panasonic put it in the firmware and in last hour they decided not to release it with that funcionallity? Can it be a hope for things like, vlog in G85? Or Vlog un GH5 for free, (like gh4 v2.3 roundabout)

• @Grimor

It is in camera, just not in the menus. It is normal practice.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev If so, probably new versions of the .html file will appear for other models with new features until panasonic fix it with next update

• @spectra, I use a Watson charger and a variety of off brand batteries. Wasabi off brands have been ok for me although not always with the same life as the originals. Reliable so far though. The Watson charger is excellent and they make plates for this battery style that clip into any of their chargers so all you need is one charger and a plate for each style of battery you have. I have a dual charger for the desk and a single for the road.

• Inserting Robbino´s code in BTM_Pix´s html file, and after several conections fails (update imgapp message), i get this options available from myG80:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> camrply> result>ok mainmenu> item value="vga" enable="yes" id="menu_item_id_liveview_quality"/> item enable="yes" id="menu_item_id_liveviewsize_vga"/> item enable="yes" id="menu_item_id_liveviewsize_qvga"/> /mainmenu> photosettings> item enable="no" id="menu_item_id_ph_sty_vlog_l" option="detail"/> item enable="no" id="menu_item_id_v_quality_mp4ed_c24p_200mbps"/> item enable="no" id="menu_item_id_v_quality_mp4ed_24p_200mbps"/> item enable="no" id="menu_item_id_v_quality_mov_c24p_200mbps"/>

Vlog and 200mbs mov seens very tempting, but im not brave enought to be the first trying.

• Here is a video I did on the GX85 indoors and out shot in 4K Natural setting delivered in 1080. Priority was to the still photographers so I grabbed shots where I could almost all hand held. Indoors there was a skylight and the lighting was changing by the minute so had to use auto WB and even out later. Simply an amazing little camera that being said I changed over to the G85 since to get Mic input and CineD.

• Camera + 12-32mm + 45-150mm for $698 at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFI2DK0/

Camera + 45-150mm for $597 at

www.adorama.com/ipcgx85b.html?sub=cpd060117gx85

• Added CineD to my GX85 and saved it as C1. Oink!

• Well, if someone can control the bitrate, I would certainly use it, but I have nothing to add to the web protocol.