Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Recording to Atomos Shogun

• Been to Jessops today, where they had the GH5 for demo, could hold it, shot with it etc, obviously no take away of photos allowed.

Some real nice improvements. Some thing I couldn't get working, but for a 0.5 FW its looking good!

Finally they have exposure onscreen, while changing ISO.

• @yiannis_zack yep the test doesn't seem entirely serious, he used 4K 60p 8bit ISO 400 with a 25mm 0.95 Mitakon Zhongy speedmaster lens.

I added this here as I think it's interesting to see the sensor being starved of light, would have liked a wider ISO range testing in it, but found it interesting despite some 8bit banding.

• @matthere
    ISO 400 & he calls this "low light test"?? we're kidding right? lot's of banding in the image...

• @Eno

With GH4 and especially now with GH5 it is partially (or even mostly) marketing decision.
    Plus all team who makes core decision is almost exactly same, so, all same issues.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

The same thing happened at the GH4 the launch (as you said).

After 3 years of of market evaluation, pour Panasonic coud not anticipate the high demand of the new GH5. :))

• Panasonic Japan issued a note about the GH5 availability. Because of higher than expected preorders they expect a delay in the GH5 delivery. There is no detailed info about when we can expect to get our hands on the GH5.

Partially it is marketing, like Olympus.

But partially it is GH series fate. It is always like such.

• Here's the thread to post your GH5 test requests and I will do my best to do as many as possible in the time that I have the camera.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16411/panasonic-lumix-gh5-testing-requests

• @caveport look here:

In the end, when the woman passes the darker wall

Funny enough, Driftwood has this video also on his own Vimeo, but there it's much shorter and this section not included

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I know, unfortunately that's what I could find only. :(

• @Eno

Need some full resolution photos :-(

• More Gh5 internals.

GH5 internals.jpg
    738 x 493 - 270K
    pana08.jpg
    800 x 533 - 143K
    GH5 motherbord.jpg
    640 x 480 - 153K
    GH5 sensor.jpg
    640 x 480 - 68K
    GH5 sensor 2.jpg
    480 x 360 - 17K
  • @CameraRick Can you post a link the Driftwood "weird ghosting" clip? I have seen all his demos and have not seen ghosting.

• So I just received word that I will get a pre-production GH5 and 12-60mm Leica lens to test for the month of February! I want to put this thing through its paces and test as much as possible. @Vitaliy_Kiselev is there a good way to get a list of test requests that doesn't clog up this thread?

Yes, of course. Best is to make separate topic and post here link to it.

• @tylerknight It seems you already plan that, but I'd be really interested in high-ISO scenarios in lowlight. So far, we saw high ISO in areas which had still enough light, so hard to judge how bad or good it really performs. Driftwood did test on a street, but had those weird settings in; so maybe a street scene in the dark, 10bit 422 at 180°/360° shutter would be nice? :) maybe with a bit of passing people (to rule out the weird ghosting we saw in Driftwoods video). Preferrably in CineD or vLog (if you get vLog)

Aside of that, some DR stuff would be interesting, real life scenes

• Hi @tylerknight, If you have worked with Gimbals before, I would be interested how the Double Stabilization system compares to handheld when you walk or shoot in a car driving over a bumpy road. Also focus with a dog running towards you, if the AF keeps the dog in focus. Thanks.

• Hi Tyler, great news, thank you for the testing! From the list of things you plan on testing and your experience with the GH line up I'm exited. I hope you can provide some raw samples like NF has done. I'm also looking forward to how the camera compares to the G85, EM1-II, A6500. Love see also a report on the 12-60 Leica. Exploring settings will be important too. I don't know how far the GH5's autofocus is, but that needs to be tested too. Maybe you can do a weekly Youtube report, and announce a specific focus area for the next week so people can serve you relevant questions. Thank you!

• So I just received word that I will get a pre-production GH5 and 12-60mm Leica lens to test for the month of February! I want to put this thing through its paces and test as much as possible. @Vitaliy_Kiselev is there a good way to get a list of test requests that doesn't clog up this thread?

I will be testing it myself in real-world shoots such as real estate, live event/concert, action sports (snowboarding/skateboarding) and many more things. I also want to be able to do technical tests such as noise levels, audio with and without XLR input, and properly test the 180fps variable framerates indoors and outdoors.

I will be devoting a lot of time to testing this camera so please let me know the best way to get your requests!

Thanks and I can't wait to get my hands on this camera!

I am a Canadian Panasonic Lumix Ambassador and part of the Lumix Stories website www.lumixstories.ca I have been shooting with Lumix cameras since the GH1, and like to think I know these cameras front to back!