Personal View site logo
Use 4x TRS inputs on Zoom h4n
  • If I want to use 4x wireless mics I end up with 4x TRS outputs on receivers. Is there a way I can connect the TRS to the XLR input on the Zoom H4N ?

I can use a splitter to use the TRRS input on the H4n to connect two TRS. But its the two TRS into two XLR inputs that has me stumped.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • From what I read about the Zoom H4n, it has two combo XLR/phone inputs. Each will accept 3-pin balanced XLR mic-level, or 2-conductor (TR) mono phone plug line-level.

Do your receivers have unbalanced outputs? If so, you just need a cable terminated in a 1/4" mono phone plug.

• No, you don't want XLR plugs into the H4n. You want mono phone plugs.

But why do your receivers have TRS connectors if they're unbalanced? What receiver do you have?

• Azden PRO-XD 2.4 GHz Digital Wireless Lavalier System

Mic Output: 1/8" (3.5 mm) dual-mono/stereo Headphone Output: 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo

I want this to be recorded into the inputs on the Zoom H4N. The problem relates to the 2x XLR inputs on Zoom H4N

H4N has a single stereo 3.5mm input and 2x mono XLR inputs for a total of 4x inputs.

• Those XLR inputs aren't just XLR inputs. They're dual XLR/phone plug inputs. You can plug an XLR plug into them, or a phone plug into them. When you plug an XLR in, the H4n expects a mic-level balanced signal. When you plug a phone plug in, the H4n expects an unbalanced line-level signal.

RECEIVER (PRO-XDR) Max Output Level: -14dBV

I guess that's mic level. And it says dual mono. So you need a 3.5 mm TRS dual-mono to XLR cable wired for stereo to mono, unbalanced to balanced. That means tip and ring to pin 2, and sleeve to pins 3 and 1.

• All good, I think the headphone output is line level. So a stereo 3.5mm to mono 1/4" would work.