Personal View site logo
Olympus E-M1 Mk II topic
  • 289 Replies sorted by
  • @DrDave - The Olympus looks slightly sharper, but probably not enough to matter with video. The difference in white balance is a big deal, so the reviewers should fix this.

I'm interested in how it produces 4K with no crop, IQ right out of the camera, and focus tracking. Olympus already has stabilization down cold. Focus tracking brings us one step closer to filming without a crew.

Of the two very desirable cameras now hitting the market, this and the Fujifilm XT-2, this one looks more useful because of no crop factor in 4K, a wide range of available lenses, and image stabilization. I might end up owning the Olympus, and renting the Fujifilm when I have to have that Astia look. Avoiding an expensive and tedious grade in post is a big deal.

• @DrDave

For normal real use sites must fully ignore JPEG engine and also include detailed research on raw noise reduction to take this into account.

Samples must be done with full light check first and processed from raw using batch setting.

To be short - progress of sensors is tiny.

• Looking at Imaging Resource samples, first off there's no real difference in IQ between the MK II and the Panasonic GX 85, although the white balance is for sure different. So this is not a game changer camera as far as stills. GX 85 is the right side. All the BS about the difference in IQ is just BS. And all the BS about the Mk II being as good as larger sensor cameras is also just BS, the older a6300 is better, for starters.

wb mk ii left gx85 r.jpg
    1640 x 798 - 237K
  • The M1 Mark II applies color noise reduction filtration on the sensor data before it is written to a Raw or JPEG file.

http://mikepasini.com/corners/2016/11/02-first-impression-M1II/index.htm

More and more cheaters.

• @labalbi

If you though the $1,999 price tag could kill the E-MII “enthusiams”…well it looks we were all wrong: At the moment the E-M1II is the best seller at Amazon mirrorless ranking (Click here). And it’s almost on top of the overall DSLR+Mirrorless camera ranking (Click here).

Specially for you http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/15981/on-bestsellers#Item_1

• @labalbi Not surprised it is a mysterious ranking that Amazon have not divulged how it works so it is relatively meaningless. Also it is a new product and yes some people will want it and pay what ever so new release boost time will tell.

• If you though the $1,999 price tag could kill the E-MII “enthusiams”…well it looks we were all wrong: At the moment the E-M1II is the best seller at Amazon mirrorless ranking (Click here). And it’s almost on top of the overall DSLR+Mirrorless camera ranking (Click here).

From 43rumors. Are you guys surprised ? I am .

• More of same Iceland

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/1195756017/olympus-e-m1-mark-ii-iceland-sample-gallery

Btw, if you are curious why such tone of all this writings - it is because Olympus organized the trip and paid for it, plus good work of PR department who provided detailed points to push in writings.

img2807.jpg
    800 x 585 - 54K
  • http://www.steves-digicams.com/blog/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review/

Review reads like manufacturer advertisement, and it looks like it.

• Have there been any videocentric reviews? I'm curious about the low light performance as compared to the Panasonic 4k line.

• Today is also next NDA lift day

• Price is open and official now - $1999 for body

Preorders

So, first leaks were fully accurate. We also can conclude that GH5 price will be at $2499-$2799 ballpark.

This is chart of average price for FF bodies (new) now, 7 of them are cheaper:

• img2806.jpg
    800 x 565 - 103K
  • Now, I hope Panny won't get any stupid ideas from Oly and price the GH5 more reasonably.

They will.

For all top models companies planning next margins increase and next decrease in sales.

Japanese companies want to more or less keep same number of workers and hope to compensate falling sales with rising margins on best models.

• Now, I hope Panny won't get any stupid ideas from Oly and price the GH5 more reasonably.

They will.

For all top models companies planning next margins increase and next decrease in sales.

Japanese companies want to more or less keep same number of workers and hope to compensate falling sales with rising margins on best models.

• Well if that ends up being the US price I guess I'll have to pass. I don't see a $1350 advantage over the Lumix G85. Of course with the sticky stabilization issue being reported on g85 I won't be buying anything soon.

• They must be out of their fckng minds if they think it will sell for that price... Now, I hope Panny won't get any stupid ideas from Oly and price the GH5 more reasonably.

• Japanese body price is $2250

• @nicksoti I do stills work as well and the Olympus is superior IMO for stills. As I do product photography and have moved away from strobes the high rez mode is also unique and interesting to me. Which is why for me if the EM1 II does video on par with G85 I'm very interested.

• As i watch video again and particularly at 0:30, i remember i double checked there was no software stabilization. Did not change color profile so it must have been "Natural". I changed curves to +shadows - highlights, i think +2 -2. And 30p mode 102mbps. I remember no option for more bitrate. You can google what computer rgb to studio rgb levels option does in Sony Vegas. In practice, Sony vegas renders video with a tiny bit more contrast than source files, plus i think same happens a bit with youtube/vimeo conversion. This option slightly lifts shadows and i check it just before rendering so that final video is bit closer to what i see in my timeline. No color correction was made other than this.

I put the files in Davinci Resolve and i can say there is much more highlight recovery headroom than mark1's files. This is no surprise as mark1's 1080 files are just 24mbps, no room for much color grading, and resolution is not top for 1080. No big difference from a good 720p. So it is so nice we can have mark1's pros like 5axis, handling, natural colors, weather sealed body etc but with better files.

However, mark II's price will be higher and new Lumix G80/G85 seems more logical option IF stabilization is on par or even slightly worse.

Oh, i forgot. new battery is huge. At least twice the size of old one. Grip is deeper and whole camera is wider and taller than mark I. Articulated screen mechanism seems robust, more solid than Canon's 70D one i own. Mzuiko 12-100 f4 is smaller than i expected, about the size os the Zuiko 14-54 II as you can see in video. Zoom and focus rings are bit stiff. Never liked those mzuikos with metal feel for video work. My good old zuiko 14-54 is smooth and precise in comparison.