Personal View site logo
Apple iPhone 7 and 7 Plus - meet last widely used iPhones before Apple fall

IPhone 7 specs

• 4.7" wide-color gamut screen with very low resolution of 1334x750, say hello to normal sRGB photos
    • Optical Image Stabilization
    • F1.8 aperture, 6 element lens
    • 12mp BSI CMOS Sony sensor of previous generation with phase-detection AF, 28mm on iPhone 7
    • Wide-colour gamut, CINE quality photographs, beyond sRGB (read AdobeRGB :-))
    • New True Tone Flash (4 LEDs) with flicker sensor
    • 4K video recording at 30fps with OIS, matched with Samsung S6
    • Raw image capture, nothing new here
    • 7mp F2.2 FaceTime HD (Selfie) BSI CMOS sensor with wide colour capture and no image stabilization (electronic), one of the worst front cameras
    • Aluminium body - Black, Gold, Silver, Rose Gold or Gloss Black
    • Water and dust resistant (IP67)
    • Around 210% margins with price of $649, with 32GB or more

iPhone 7 Plus added specs

• 5.5" wide-colour gamut screen with old 1920x1080 resolution, say hello to normal sRGB photos
    • Two 12mp BSI CMOS sensors, 28mm F1.8 and 56mm F2.8 equivalent lenses, very closely located
    • Background blur / Bokeh portrait feature with depth mapping, does not work now, will be in future
    • Longer battery life than the iPhone 7
    • Around 270% margins with $769 price with 32GB or more

• 31 Replies sorted by
  • I only owned 3 iPhones in my carrier with apple. Starting from iPhone 3GS then 5 and currently 6P. I must say that year 2016 is a special year for me when I break the habit of investment loyalty with these major companies Apple, Canon etc....

• I have owned iPhones for many years and this year changed to Android. I like the Apple OS and tight integration with mobile devices but I think Apple are losing their focus and point-of-difference while keeping the prices high. If they don't have any advantage over their competitors products they will slip in the market and become boring, which is what nearly killed Apple in the 1990's.

• interesting that any new video features were not mentioned at all, both at the conference and in the official specs, all geared towards photo..

• They want the Instagram market.

• yeap that's what consumer photo industry will be all mobile "all in one" solution.

• @Tommyboy

It won't be mobile.

Actually all you see now is not because smartphones. It is because smartphone industry does not resist progress - and it means standardization and unification, only two OS now left, and if not Apple it had been only one. Look at cameras - this guys continue to make incompatible mounts, protected and encrypted communication protocols, develop their own home made interfaces and OSes.

• I have purchased iphones since they first came out and have been pretty happy with iphones overall. I will probably end up purchasing the iphone 7 plus becuase of the ecosystem (itunes, apps, etc). I am finding that it is very difficult for me to switch over to a PC/Android setup. I still prefer OSX & IOS over Windows 10 & Android.

The other concern that I have is security. I read someplace that the Android phones are not as secure as iphones? Is this really true?

Currently my whole family uses iphones. However my son who is 17 at the moment wants an Android phone. But again what about the security of the Android platform?

• There have been plenty of vulnerabilities for both platforms. I wouldn't go iOS thinking that it will magically save you from hackers.

• Didn't this camera (dual sensor) technology first appear on the Huawei P9. Ok, so maybe they hacked them and got the technology to market faster, but still nothing special here. I imagine the implementation, though, will be very good. I cracked my iPhone 5s, (those things explode when you drop them) replaced the screen but still had problems, so went back to my Sony Z1. Loved the Sony camera but the phone was plagued by battery issues and I couldn't resolve them. Out of frustration, I went to the store and got the cheapest phone I could buy, an Asus Zen Phone 2. I found it was pretty much the match of my iPhone, and in some ways due to the more open Android platform, much better. After ten plus years, for me, the bloom is off Apple products. Too much proprietary bullshit. I use bluetooth headphones 90% of the time, but the truth is the phone battery lasts longer, and if you are out and about, then you are screwed. This is not to mention if you get a bitchy flight attendant who forces you to shut down your blue tooth device while flying. Part of the problem for Apple is Android has caught up, and despite the bling factor, all smartphones are pretty much the same. A commodity. So why do I need the frustration of having to buy a second blue tooth headset for my phone when I can buy an equally good more practical one, or a third battery charger for my Macbook (a melting master class in planned obsolescence), when I can just buy a more powerful laptop with a 1060, or 1070 from Msi or Asus, without freaky proprietary parts, or even wait a bit for other more premium vendors. I think Vitaly has finally called this one correctly, the bloom is off the Apple tree.

• First time ever Apple Inc will not release first-weekend sales of its new iPhone 7, company said on Thursday.

• "First time ever Apple Inc will not release first-weekend sales of its new iPhone 7, company said on Thursday."
    I'm sure it's just a careless oversight, like removing the headphone jack. Hey, how will I swipe credit cards with no haedphone jack :)

• Credit cards are past tense. To pay in coming year you will need wireless iWallet, only $499.

• A lot of small business owners and nonprofits use Square, Paypal etc., card readers that are free and swipe cards--they jack into the analog headphone jack, like a modem.
    Although there are Bluetooth consoles, NFC, and so on, it's a shame that the small guys are getting squished by the new technology.
    @maxdvz interesting to see if some of the new features which are digital cannot be used in airplane mode or during take-off and landing.

• It's a shame that the small guys are getting squished by the new technology.

No one cares for small guys. If you open statistic for retail you will see that big guys rise, some fast, but small and medium guys fall.

• About photo sensor used

The iSight camera chip was sourced from Sony and fabricated using its Exmor RS technology platform. The 12 MP chip features a Bayer RGB color filter array (CFA) and embedded phase detection autofocus (PDAF) pixels. The die size is 5.16 mm x 6.25 mm (32.3 mm2) as measured from the edges of the die stack. We expect our planned analysis will show the CMOS image sensor (CIS) die to be fabricated by Sony in its 90 nm technology generation. The through silicon via (TSV) patterning tells us it’s a 2nd generation Exmor RS sensor and not 3rd generation Exmor RS with direct bond interconnect (DBI). The TSVs are used to connect the CIS chip to an underlying image signal processor (ISP), which is not to be confused with the complementary ISP functions embedded within the A10 chip.

img2257.jpg
    500 x 409 - 32K

ExoLens®, accessory brand dedicated to elevating the mobile photography category, announces the launch of the ExoLens PRO and PRIME ranges. Each line is designed for a specific consumer, which allows everyone from the novice to the professional to join the mobile photography movement. Leading the collection, is the ExoLens® PRO line for the iPhone 7, which feature Optics by market leading brand, ZEISS, to offer truly professional-grade mobile lenses to photographers, artists and journalists to seriously step up your mobile photography game.

“We are very excited to launch the high-performance ranges of PRO and PRIME iPhone lenses,” says John Fellowes, Chief Executive Officer of Fellowes Brands, which acquired ExoLens in 2014. “The new product lines signify an expanded brand strategy for ExoLens, which will now reach mobile photographers of all levels.”

First to market will be the ExoLens PRO Wide-Angle and Telephoto Kits for iPhone 7. These kits will bring the aspherical lens technology previously reserved for high-end DSLR lenses, straight to your iPhone as a compact mobile accessory lens. With more than 170 years of experience engineering professional optics, ZEISS has gained unrivaled trust among professional photographers and cinematographers in the industry. The series of high-performance lenses is a new breed of mobile photography optics that will allow the massive community of iPhone photographers and videographers to tell a deeper story with gold-standard gear. All PRO Kits come with the new machined aluminum ExoLens Edge mount, which features an integrated cold shoe accessory mount (compatible with accessories such as external video light) and key ring loop.

The ExoLens PRO Wide-Angle Kit with Optics by ZEISS features a ZEISS Mutar™ 0.6x Asph T* Wide-Angle lens, which provides virtually no distortion and exceptional edge-to-edge contrast, resulting in an image quality that is unmatched by any other iPhone accessory lens. This Kit helps professionals capture expansive scenery and immerse viewers with frame filling detail, while expanding the frame of the iPhone to see the world in a beautiful new perspective. The ExoLens PRO Wide-Angle Kit with Optics by ZEISS will be available for iPhone 6/6s, iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus, and iPhone 7 in December for $199.99.

The ExoLens PRO Telephoto Kit with Optics by ZEISS features a ZEISS Mutar™ 2.0x Asph T* Telephoto lens. The Kit offers photographers a narrow depth of field to add a beautiful bokeh to the background while focusing attention on the subject. The focal length of the telephoto allows the contours of the face to appear more natural and closer to real life, and is ideal for street photography, portraits or capturing events. The Telephoto Kit will be available for iPhone 6/6s, iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus, and iPhone 7 in December for $249.99.

ExoLens PRO Macro-Zoom Kit with Optics by ZEISS features the ZEISS Vario-Proxar 40-80 T* macro-zoom lens. The ZEISS Vario-Proxar 40-80 T* macro-zoom lens has a variable focal length of 40 to 80 millimeters. "In combination with the optics of the smartphone camera, turning the ring does not result in an increase or reduction of the field of view," Product Developer Vladan Blahnik from ZEISS explains. "Instead, the ring functions much like a manual focus with which different planes can be set. If photographers want to shoot objects that are three to five centimeters away, they turn the ring to the right as far as it will go, and to the left for objects that are five to eight centimeters away." This allows users to capture objects measuring three to twelve centimeters filling the complete field of view and capture astonishing details beyond what is visible to the human eye to put you impossibly close to the subject. The PRO Macro-Zoom Kit will be available for iPhone 6/6s, iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus, and iPhone 7 in January for $199.99.

The ExoLens PRIME product line allows for artistic expression and non-technical social sharing to step up your iPhone photography and videography game. They are intended for the photographer looking to create unique, artistic and candid snapshots. The lenses offered for PRIME Kits are the Wide Angle 0.6X, the Telephoto 2X and the Super Wide-Angle/Macro Combo.. The PRIME product line will be available starting Q1 2017.

• Fuzzy price estimates

One thing that such authors do not like to do is go few steps below. Show not only top margins (even here they do everything to reduce it by offering normal wholesale price and not Apple special term prices) but the margins got by capitalist owners all along the line. If you do such calc you will see that cost will drop to around $100-120.

img2689.jpg
    793 x 741 - 82K