Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH1 firmware research, testing
  • 277 Replies sorted by
  • @yskunto Hi fellow! I´ll try to make my tests with a faster SDHD one hehehebut anyways , this patch from humpman was holding up ALOT more than any other patch that haven,t seen before!! even with a "theorically" so slow SDHC card!! :) Next time, I´ll do some test on a tripod to see what happens.

@humpman Hello! One question only, Must we to overwrite the existing tables in the original patch? I mean [Patch6] and [Patch7] whith the new ones? Both tables at the same time? Thanks!! Asier.

• @Asiertxu yes just overwrite it both, and distortion will leave you :) "Very" fast card will not change anything.

• THANKS humpman!! I´ll do so!! Cheers. :) Asier.

• Hi humpman! I must to tell you that it is working PERFECTLY right now I think!! =) As far as some of the new tests I did this morning can tell, your new tables I put in your last PAL 68Mbps patch made the job I think!! so THANKS ALOT humpman!! And I can´t appreciate any difference between the old and the new version, so it´s GREAT!! I´ll upload some of the clips I did soon, to let you annalyze them and if you can see any differences. Cheers an again THANKS!! Asier.

• Here is one of the tests I did!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz3JTW-9ErvleWxIWkxjempnajA

I used the same scene in this case to see if the are many differences between the two. Looks OK!! :-)

Cheers, Asier.

• @humpman - I am doing this after many years so please be patient. I used wine to launch ptool - clicked on A and loaded seta.ini I cannot see the User Patches options that you have. Do I need to load user.ini separately ? It could very well be a problem when using it in wine though..

• Works now.. Mac folks do not make an app with wine bottler...

There are seven options under User Patches. Do I check all of them ?

• Wow - the noise is greatly reduced. Here is a screen grab from an underexposed video..

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 4.54.06 AM.png
    1680 x 1050 - 2M
  • This helps even more to reduce fpn - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?243995-GH-1-GH-13-Fixed-Pattern-Noise-Breakthrough

> The settings can be stored as one of the three custom settings, so they only need to be done once:

• Set mode dial on camera top to P.

• Set ISO to AUTO.

• Menu / record / aspect ratio: 16:9

• Menu / motion picture / rec mode / avchd

• Menu / motion picture / rec quality / FHD

• Menu / motion picture / metering mode / 1st

• Menu / custom / af/ae lock / af/ae

• Menu / custom / af/ae lock hold / on

• Menu / custom / movie button / ON !!!!

NOW:

• Menu / custom / cust.set mem. Select C1 C2 or C3 and SAVE these settings.

NOW set mode dial on camera top to CUST (I rarely change this, because I have C1 for photos, C2 for movies in manual mode and c3 for this "automatic" mode. Select the custom mode you have just created.

Now, it takes a while to become accustomed to this work flow, but after a while it becomes fairly intuitive.

Exposure is controlled by the wheel at the front of the camera. Press in on it so that the exposure compensation (-3 to +3) turns orange. Lightly press on the shutter release to focus (if using a Panasonic lens) and evaluate exposure. Turn the front wheel until the scene looks right. Tip: Panning slightly to a darker area makes the entire scene brighter and visa-versa. This is often quicker than turning the front wheel. When satisfied with the scene, press AF/AE lock on back of camera.

Now press DEDICATED MOVIE BUTTON on back of camera to begin recording. In many cases (especially dark scenes) you should see far less FPN than you normally would.

Observations and down-sides:

• Often what you see before you hit the movie button is not what you'll get when recording starts. Just stop recording, tweak briefly, restart.

• Occasionally the optimum settings for recording will look strange in preview (greyed-out whites, etc.)

• If you want to use a particular f-stop, you can: press the front wheel so f-stop and shutter speed turn orange, then turn the dial so the desired f-stop appears. (In dark scenes, the shutter speed indicated might be 1/2 second, but I think once you hit the movie button the camera records at the minimum 30th of a second for AVCHD.)

• If you lightly press the shutter release, you'll see the ISO the camera selects, but I doubt that this is a true indication, just a rough idea.

• I am still waiting if the research finally able to reliably accommodate 24p(warp in 48i/60i)/60p. @humpman, does the table from July 6 are also for NTSC setting? Thanks

• @yskunto i didn't any research for this time and will not, i think, sorry. Yes, please use the tables from July 6, it's reliable for PAL and NTSC (but remember, it stable only in 2397i or 2400i, so please make sure that it's checked in the ptool).

@zcream High quality in low light was main intention in those settings. GH1 in daylight was fine even in stock.

• @humpman, thanks man! I think with GH1 patches including yours, it is enough for me to keep my GH1s until the new Lumix G8 price went down like a crazy. Thanks for the info about check 2397i or 2400i option.

• @humpman your screen grab from June 4 did not even have the color noise. Could you check the screen grab I posted above ? Just wondering how you were getting better low light..Cheers!

• It's simple ) Low ISO. That shot, if i remember, was on 100 ISO. These last tables work like this: low ISO=low flickering so low compression, nice texture details and noise. And high ISO=more flickering(noise flickering) so high comression, low details and more parasite noise. I did tables for nice 3200 ISO with big size i-frames and small p-frames but it's unstable, and moody in low ISO's.

So what we get comparing stock firmware and these settings? Simple, we have better quality in: low ISO, low detailed, fast movement, low light shots. Then, when this criteries comes higher, higher ISO, more detailed etc... we have quality that close to stock firmware.

In another word, when encoder is unstressed we have better quality than stock, and stock going bad even when it unstressed cause it have limitations. And, when encoder got stress we have almost similar quality, on both, modificated and stock firmwares.

Ok, you can note me "But we have much more bitrate than stock, why it doesn't helps?" Because when encoder is stressed, there is much more unneeded data in P-frames than it should to be, also there is bad coefficients between I and P frames. Shortly, GH1 encoder sucks.

Sorry guys, it's hard to explain in english, even russian is not my native language.

• Interesting. Thats why ia mode seems to lower the iso. Ill keep the exposure lower by two pips. That may help too

• @Humpman than you for your work! I just tested two patches for spanning in Pal and very pleased it works on fast card with patch from 4 June. But when I review resilts it appear like this. Is it patch or me doing something wrong? pass 787878

• @konjow that's known problem, @Asiertxu showed this problem above at previous page, it appears after several minutes or even seconds, depends on what tables you use, tables from June 4 doesn't work, you should try tables from July 6, but i didn't test it on long shots too.

• yeah with July 6 Table works well. It spanns even. the only downside so far is "motion error" then card over half recorded even fast one. Well done @Humpman! thats a keeper for me Thanks!

• @konjow what do you mean with "motion error"? can you elaborate more on that? thanks

• @yskunto Stop recording with big info on your screen "" formating the same card or other one and works fine

• I filmed with no issues using June4 patch. I will post the bin and others using July6 patch

• Here we go - all files for Humpman July6 patch - user.ini and seta.ini

user.ini
    seta.ini
    669B
  • Following @zcream, user.ini and seta.ini for NTSC 24p(60i)/60p of @humpman's patches

user.ini
    seta.ini
    696B
  • Check it out, the new tables. Try it on high ISO's.

tables.txt
    670B