Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Tommyboy Well my current stash is only around $1500... so I guess I mean take it all, if that's gonna be enough :)

• @Scot Yes, if your lens vignettes, IBIS could exacerbate the vignetting a small amount when moving the sensor, but bear in mind that it's not moving in large amounts and image circles tend not to have hard cut-offs. In practice, I've never had noticeable vignetting (or center sharpness for that matter) changes in any videos that I've shot.

• @lmackreath I have a Beholder DS1 and a GX85 feet planted on the ground IBIS is great but once your walking around the Gimbal is just so much better. They do seem to work together well also. You might want to look into the wifi app it works great to control camera when on a gimbal to change settings and control focus not as good as holding camera but functional.

• 6K according to the usual leaks.

• 20mp
    • 4k 4:2:2 10bit…
    • Dual SD slots…
    • no crop 4k….
    • 4k photo stills 60fps,
    • 6k 30fps…
    • ISO 1 stop better…

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-images-new-panasonic-gh5-full-specs/

• still no ibis being mentioned....

• Wait and see if the G80 has IBIS, if it has it then we can be 95% sure the GH5 will as well.

• Those specs + IBIS and price (at some point) below $1500 and I'm sold.

• 6k photo mode at 30fps

• I removed @paglez post as it was double post directly above.

• well....I'll be interested in how they miraculously create 6k from a 20mp sensor !

• @kurth

This can be either inaccurate, or it is wider multi aspect sensor.

• ...then the 6k wouldn't be 16:9 .....well even if.....if the 4k specs are accurate ....it's a big step

• ...then the 6k wouldn't be 16:9

Why? I just want to understand logic.

As multi aspect sensor is wider than 4:3.

• gotcha ya....my mistake....didn't read the full specs. Well I'll be surprised if this is a full 6k multi aspect camera !

• Well, I suppose it's useless to speculate, but 6K could be MJPEG to take the load off the processor. Or it could just be the 4K photo mode with an upgrade. We will know soon. I hope it is the multi sensor.

• @DrDave

It can be also interpolated even, some marketing stuff to allow GH5 to hold against upcoming 4k 60-100fps cameras with 10-12bits HEVC encoding.

• Sure, it could easily be interpolated. MJPEG would be really big file sizes, but I'm assuming it could also be very good quality. Not sure if Panasonic needs to find processor pverheat or heat related solutions since they always have been ahead of the game. I expect this to be a "warm" camera but not a patio heater like the a6300.

• @DrDave

Do not worry, at worst it can be H.264 I frames only. They won't be making it MJPEG.

• Well, tell that to Canon and the 5d Mark IV.

• Some explanations about 6k photo mode in GH5: The camera has 4k 60p in video (10bit 4:2:2) and 4K photo mode. The 6K30p is a Photo Mode feature only! It does not 6K at 16:9 because the sensor isn’t width enough. It works just like the current 4K mode on the GH4. ON the GH5 the 6K Photo mode will do 18MP in 4:3 ratio at 30fps. http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-gh5-6k-photo-mode-works/

• Sept 19 is 10 days away so, if gh5 is coming out, there should already be some pre production models around for first impressions, hands on and previews...

• I am sure Panasonic made contracts with those who have one, that nothing leaks before the official date of release.

• With gx85'ish IBIS, I'm on board. Just waiting patiently.

• I am having an interview for personal view at the Panasonic stand with a Production-Trainer on Tuedsay regarding: "News from the Lumix System". I assume that he will repeat everything from the press conference on Monday, but any questions you want me to ask?

• @AKED I'd like to know which, if any of the announced cameras will have 4096 x 2160 DCI Cinema 4k, and if it will still be locked as 24 fps only.