Personal View site logo
Stringbike
  • Very unusual stuff, uses strings, has 19 gears and is custom made, hence the price.

But I find it amazing.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Unusual. Looks cool.

• I like that bike vandals can't easily cut chains (having had a number of bikes vandalized and stolen over the years). Interesting concept though. It sounds as if you'd have to ride one to feel the difference.

• @CFreak

Reports I checked tell that ride is usual and ok.

Bike industry is so good example as capitalism does not allow many ideas to go mainstream. And sometime it is just greed, patents and idiotic design licenses. For example most Strida and Brompton manufacturers licenses expired, but this guys have registered designs and remove any competition based on too similar looks (design).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

In the video above, he states the ride is "easier". That would be an advantage; test riding needed to feel that.

• "And sometime it is just greed, patents and idiotic design licenses" -Yup, Kodak had the patent on focal reducers (used in one of their early attempts of producing a digital camera) and sold it to raise capital. We got Speed Boosters as a result.

• What a funny contraption. But probably nothing we'll see in mass production ;-)