Personal View site logo
Trends in Opening Credits
  • Thought I'd get people's ideas and observations on trends with opening credits for movies. I've noticed that it's much less common to see actors and directors listed in opening credits. I still see studio, production companies, and film title listed in the beginning of movies. Is this trend something new in last few years? I know a few movies have done it in past, but seems that's the trend for most now. Also, what do you guys like seeing in opening credits in terms of who's listed, style and timing of credits, and whether animation and graphics is added or not?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I always like to at least see director credit in the opening sequence, it helps me to reflect on their style while I'm watching the film and remember them later (if it's memorable). Generally, I prefer subtle titling that doesn't detract from the establishing shots of the film but I think nice graphics and/or animation can still be OK if they are successful at drawing the audience into the setting and capturing their attention in a unique way.

In terms of style, I really like the opener for Sahara (2005), some impressive camera moves and setup memorabilia in there. Drive is a good example of simple and sexy... that pink is really punchy but somehow it just works with every frame they throw up.

• Yep, those two are good in my book as well.

• I have a thing for film title at the end, right after last shot. Recent example that I can think of is “Sicario“.

• Cool site - thanks @jazzroy

• I think there are many good options for opening credits, depending on how it can be combined with some opening scene.

But I can name a few common things that I really hate in opening credits:

• "Asian style": A dozen of colorful animated "pruduction company" logos introduced one after each other - and you've forgotten the first one already when the third one is shown - and you get annoyed no later than at the fifth.

• 3 minutes of slient "few white words on black background"-slideshow. Making you sleepy already before the movie has started. No, such an intro doesn't turn your work into an arthouse masterpiece ;-)

• "Happy family intro", presenting some main character as the perfect family man. In the action genre, that's the most stereotypical introduction where you already know after 1 minute: Some evil gangster will harm that family, and Mr. Family Guy is going on a bloody vendetta, killing off all the gangsters. The intro is just the lame standard excuse for all the hero's kills to follow promptly thereafter.

• @jazzroy thanks for the great link you posted! Cheers!