Personal View site logo
The perfect 10
  • What's the best way to get a perfect 10mm on m4/3? Is there an ideal lens that can be used with a speed booster? Is the old Panasonic zoom the best there is?

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • I use Tokina 11-16 f2.8 Nikon mount for 3-4 years now with and without the Speed booster. By old zoom, you mean 7-14 f4? I think that after the speed booster introduction is a bit pointless. 2 stops slower and practically same FOV on wide end as Tokina (*with speed booster), and Tokina is a cinema-like zoom lens with internal focusing, people frequently cine-mod it and get a cheap fast workhorse of a zoom that works on many mounts, canon EF, nikon, mirrorless, (it even covers "full frame" nikon sensor at 16mm, I have tested it). So if you are not desperate about autofocus, and other electronic goodies, still seems like the best choice. For video of course.

• @inqb8tr Thanks, that looks interesting. How are the corners? I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Samyang 14mm with a speedbooster.

• I don't shoot resolution charts etc, in real life situations no problems in the corners, but I've also heard people complaining. Mine is ok.

• Tx. Looks like a plan.

• I've put my money on the Voigtlander 10.5mm and at the moment is my favourite lens. Very well built, fast, sharp, takes filters and clickless aperture (if you need it). If you specifically need lens/speed booster combo, @inqb8tr is right on the money with the Tokina.

• Thanks @silverfox, the Voigtländer 10.5 is not the best fit for me even though I like their lenses :)

• I have the 17.5 mm Voigtlander and the Olympus 7-14mm. Yet I am considering the 10.5mm Voigtlander because I want the faster lense with the great depth of field control. Why is the Voigtlander 10mm not a good fit for you. Lack of IS , autofocus, or other considerations? Appreciate your input. Thanks.

• Hey @DrDave I've used the Samyang 14mm with the Mitakon Lens Turbo Mk II speedbooster on GH4 and it's great for my purposes (astrophotography, sample attached) wide-open and equivalebt to f2.0

_1420793proc2.jpg
    1000 x 1182 - 1M
  • @DrLu I guess if I was going to buy a Voigtländer I would get one of the other sizes like the 25mm, but I don't need anything so fast, but I do need decent corners. I'm sure it's sharp stopped down,; Voigtländer makes amazing lenses. Also at this point to zoom is looking to add some flexibility although the Sammy 14 is kind of intriguing.
    @Mickos thanks--and that is a gorgeous photo, by the way--did you try it on street scenes or landscapes?

• I think the best wide angle lens, even I've never used it, is Canon EF 14mm 2.8, it's like it's been corrected for no distortion, at 2k dollars. With 0.64 speedbooster and crop factor of gh4 you get 10.7, I believe the result would be amazing