Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH1 firmware research, testing
  • 277 Replies sorted by
  • I agree with @zcream. Despite its weak high ISO performance, there is always something that I missed about video quality of the hacked GH1. It might be the slightly wider 16:9 sensor crop. It might be the soft image that I perceived more cinematic. I do not know.

I have sold my two GH1, but might be I should get another GH1 again. I hope @humpman patch can be perfected for 1024p24 in 60i and 720p60.
  • Do you remember the native iso for gh1? Is it 400?

> Answered my questions..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3114897

Base ISO 100

>

• I suggest that rain in the 60i mode it's just a skipped frames, which got stress in pulldown process due to high bitrate, frame sizes.

@zcream did you try the last settings in different scenes? I did for myself and it looks very good on low ISO's.

00_60i.jpg
    1299 x 687 - 245K
  • I have a GH1 on the way. I could help to test @humpman patch. About the GH1 60i mode diagonal rain. Does it means to overcome the problem is to go native 24p and sacrifice reliability or stay with a QPmin=19 like what @apefos found and sacrifice detailization?

Last time I mixed your QP setting to @Lpowel peak reliability patch in i60. I perceived no diagonal rain even with QPmin=0 on Death Chart. I will retest.
  • @yskunto seems like i solved it, i just turned it to 48i mode and rain is gone, so my theories was right it was just the 3:2 pulldown problem.

• Here is the settings for NTSC. 68 Mbps. 24.000 fps after deinterlace. I changed a P-scale matrix here to get better image quality on high ISO's. I'm not sure on stability of it, so can't recommend it for day by day usage yet. Also, there is two new patches, "2997i to 2400" and "2997i to 2397". Download third one setb.ini please.

setb.ini
    706B
    user.ini
    setb.ini
    711B
  • Still waiting for my GH1. I will test your NTSC setting and report after.

• Sad, no more GH1 users =(

• I have install your NTSC/PAL hybrid setting that you post before to my just arrived GH1. At a glance, I would say the quality is very good. As usual, when switch between NTSC/PAL, one should turn off the camera after and better to format the SD card once the camera is turned on.

Will see if it is spanning later on. Thank you for your hard work!
  • I have a GH1 as well. I'm on the vacation, but I will try you patch at the end of the week. Thanks for your efforts! Now if I can just remember how to hack the firmware... ; )

• I use humpman's PAL/NTSC setting from 8 of June posting for my GH1 + 20mm f1.7 in NTSC mode. So far no crash even on cheap non brand class 10 card.

I will test if it spans reliably
  • @yskunto thanks for testing, actually 8 june thettings is only for NTSC. By now i'm in work of designing of new tables, just trying to improve quality on high ISO's. Also i find some constants that help stabilize size coefficients between p and i frames.

• I thought it was a mix setting since I saw gop setting for PAL and gop setting for NTSC. So is it not possible to have hybrid PAL/NTSC?

I respected your hard work to keep the old monster alive!
  • @humpman. Following our previous conversation.

You are right about the fact that the first numbers of the scaling table determine how detailed the picture is.

Furthermore they are concerned with other parameters and are important for the efficiency of the codec.

Using low numbers will produce a very sharp image. Sharp images are difficult to be managed, because every little problem of the camera appears to be magnified through the detailed scene of the shot.

It is like having a good hifi amplifier. If the whole musical system is not well balanced, every single problem will be clearly audible.

The real problem with low numbers in GOP 1 patches is flickering. If we use GOP 2 or GOP 3, with their P and B frames, then the P frames overall will be critical, because the codec hardly support that level of detail. P and B frames in our GH codec are not conceived for that.

• @humpman

Of course, I'm talking about the GH2 codec. But the main concept is not far from what we should consider about GH1 camera.

• @frullaccia yes, i just wanted find good balane, but i can't seat two extremes on one chair. If i get nice 3200 iso, then i get bad low ISO's and so vice versa. So i will stay with previous table style. @yskunto there is 91000000 max bitrate number for PAL, and 98000000 for NTSC(24.000), so i would like to separate them.

• Hi there humpman!! I just installed your 8 of June patch and VERY impressed with the quality! :-) I´ve made a few night tests only so far but the bit rate, even in low light conditions, overpasses 60 Mbps!! WOW Tomorrow I´ll be testing this NICE patch of yours in daylight conditions, and report what happens! Cheers and THANKS for you GREAT effort! Asier.

• Thanks guys, the table from june 4 settings gives more quality on low ISO's in low light scenes and higher bitrate. I think you'll not see differences visually on daylight shots, but i didn't tested it specially.

• I am using the patch from June 4 in PAL mode and I am really pleased.

Thanks humpman.

• This is a good excuse to break out my GH1! Thanks @humpman

• Hello humpman! I´ve been doing some test in both NTSC and PAL with your 68Mbps patch and its VERY nice!! Never the less, I´ve found some distorsion when I record a scene with ALOT of detail and it´s lit by the sun. I´ve to add that I´m not using a VERY fast SDHC card (It´s a SANDISK 16GB class 4 15MB/s... ). I´m uploading a sample clip with some distorsion in it to let you analize it and see what happened, if you don´t mind! ;-) Anyways, I´ve oppened in Streamparser and, as far as I can see, It looks like the program thinks and says it´s OK!! THANKS FOR YOUR HARD WORK FELLOW!!! Cheers... Asier.

• Wow, I haven't seen that issue before… it looks like part of the frame is broken off from the rest, or part of the frame is being written from another frame (all the frames are so similar), every so often (ca. 1x per second)

• @Asiertxu Can you retest it using faster SDHC card class 10 like Sandisk Extreme? Is the problem is still occur? You zoom in in the video, how if you did not zoom? Does it still occur? I am curious. At least we could know, is it triggered by certain action.

• Relax guys :) I known about this problem, it occurs on high detailed scenes or death chart, also it can start to collapse not immediately but after several sec or minutes. This is why i noted "Not for day by day using". I just wanted to know how fast and on what type of scene you'll get those distortion. Cause of this distortion is coefficients between i and p scaling table numbers. I just set those tables on edge of the top, so if there little wind will blow, it fall.

Use this tables below, and tell me if you can see difference in quality, and distortion.

tables.txt
    674B