Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • The best is the Ultimate 176 mbs Gop 1 or The latest " re aquanted" ?
  • Going to silkscreen this on my Anamorphic rig ~ (click to see the whole logo)
    Driftwood-1.gif
    1257 x 360 - 25K
  • @driftwood
    Congratulations on the development. Currently, what are the best settings of 24p and 25?
  • Great work @driftwood

Patch is very stable for me (graphs). However, it does not survive Stray's Dense Death Chart for very long (digital version on iMac screen). It does survive Pappa's Death Chart at AQ3. At AQ2, it survives both Pappa's and Stray's Dense Death Charts. I am going to test it out with some real world stuff later today.

The good news: the stream is extremely stable. It if stops, it is because of a cardwrite error which is clearly displayed on the screen. So not much risk here (if you are not shooting live events). Many other extreme patches record fine but show strange behaviour (dropped frames) in graphs. I prefer this.

Great work.

(BTW I tested on both Transcend Ultimate Class 10 32GB and Sandisk Extreme Pro Class 10 8GB)
  • @disneytoy that is hilarious. I want one! :-)
    @randolfo & @Braamokiev They're all good, but I'm leaning towards reAQuainted patch now :-)
    @sohus Yeah AQ2 is rock solid for all cards, but AQ3 should be fine most of the time.
  • DOC MAKERS -- just a note that the @driftwood 100 mb patch held up great on a full day of filming interviews. We'd get about 45 minutes on an 32 gig card (transcend & sandisk extreme both worked fine), with no issues in spanning. Gonna play with it an see if I can get the bitrate up any while keeping spanning alive -- but for now, it is a great solution for GOP1 motion.

Also kept ReAQuainted on a 1 gig sd card and loaded it for B-roll -- the quality is noticeable. That said, if you told me 4 months ago I'd get 100 mb gop1 on this camera I would have laughed. Thanks driftwood! Thanks Vitaliy!

Attempting to post screengrabs but getting "uploaded file type is not allowed" -- anyone run into this before? Strange.
  • @JDN

re: 100 mb patch - Do you mean the "Aquamotion" patch from Oct. 16?
  • Philip Bloom tweets he will be trying out the GH2 Driftwood INTRA 'reAQuainted' patch soon. :-)
    His site can be found at http://philipbloom.net/
    Nothing up yet, but give it a few days...
  • Lets hope the the next version of ptool bring some picture profile that can maximize the dynamic range, decrease banding and perhaps use an always on I-dynamic mode for perhaps better dynamic range. We are just so close of perfection until some affordable 10 bit camera comes out.
  • @bdegazio yes, sorry, should have mentioned it by name. That's the aquamotion patch. If I recall correctly, it is in or around page 15 of this thread.
  • @driftwood
    I'm starting to get confused with all these patches you put out :D
    So the "reAQuainted" one... does it include the 720p GOP3 modifications also or I do have to merge the settings by hand? Currently I'm still using your first 176mb patch and it is working like a charm. Really, if those pictures were humpable I would totally do them xD
  • @Driftwood
    Your Aquamotion patch crashes after 1 min, in my Sandisk 45 MB/s card. All the others GOP1 patch works fine with this SD.
  • @paglez at 30fps tele mode? or normal?
  • @starstuff merge by hand your fav stuff.
  • AQuamotion can be made more reliable if you like (with the loss of a bit more quality) but it was designed for 80% mode 1080p after all. I know some of you want lower bitrates for spanning but I dont wanna take it down much lower on the frame limits.
  • I'm using 80% mode. H settings. Pal output
  • AQuamotion has 460k iFrames (and the first one is bigger). Ok-ish. Of course this is great for the darker parts of the scene but you lose some detail in bright scenes. It does span on a extreme death chart though! @driftwood can you get it higher to see what iFrame size spans reliable? I hope around 600k.

• I havent time at moment. Im on FCP doing a huge edit for next week - Nuit Blanc Brighton :-)
  • thanks driftwoods
  • Check http://vimeo.com/ 30956281

Not bad Philip! ;-)
  • Looks good
  • @driftwood
    mmm from that sample, i can see an overall improvement on the blacks, but i also can see something strange going on on the grays, specially with motion in a highly detailed scene, on the video you linked, it is more obvious at 2:27 looking at the wheels of the yellow car that appears at the left of the black one, seems like there is, on the wheel itself, and on the trail of movement, like a less bitrate portion of image than in others parts of the shoot

i don´t know if that is actually fixable, or hahahahh if it is only me, and my monitor

and of course, thank you for making with your time and knowledge something that i know for sure i can´t do, not in a million years i could understand what is it exactly what you do, to me is magic, i´m mean you an vitaliy, (and other members of the community) can speak the language of the machines! :)
    greetings!
  • @driftwood
    The link is dead vimeo reports:

Page Not Found
  • There's just an extra space in the middle, delete it and try again.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions