Personal View site logo
DJI OSMO Handheld System
  • 81 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone else got one of these having trouble recording in 4K? When I set it to 4K I get a scrambled picture on the phone then it turns itself off after 7 secs and resets at 1080, bit weird. The camera never seems to return to it's centre point when turned, almost makes it but not quiet and the fan noise is so loud external mics pick it up. Beginning to think mine must be a bit dodgy but maybe I am.

• Well I can tell myself that I needed to do another firmware update. Now it does return to it's centre point and will record 4K, miraculous, but more times than it seems to work the picture turns to black and white and freezes on the phone and then says the app is not responding. I bought this to save time with acting students, that's it's only real value without spending a bundle on the X5, but I am going to spend more time fucking around getting the connection to work than I would have done balancing the old nebula. Ho hum.

• This is sooooooooo annoying. Time after time after time you get the wifi going on the camera and when you enter camera view on the app on the phone it thinks you're using a drone. I've only just had chance to use it and even though I've spent £100 on extra bits and bobs it is going to have to go back, totally unreliable. Shame, in a year I'm sure it will be great, specially if they drop the price on the X5 massively.

• @belfryman I appreciate you posting about this. I was still contemplating a purchase, but not now. Between what has happened with your unit and other things I have seen online I believe I may be better off going in another direction.

• @Mackinise It's a real shame because it's v close to being brilliant, but even if the wifi/app whatever it is about it that's not working worked you'd still want the X5 for pro work. I only bought it because I couldn't afford to stand around balancing a gimbal for 10 mins with a bunch of students but the fact it's taking as long with the software - and sometimes longer because I try forever before uninstalling and reinstalling which seems to do the trick of making it realise I'm not flying a drone - makes it a waste of money for me. It is a real shame because in good light the image is pretty nice and if you did just turn it on and it did it's thing how it should then it would be a great thing just to have in the bag. It feels a bit of a black magic experience at the moment, not being able to shoot 4K for a while there was like what so they had to bring out an update to fix the update. I do think in 3 months or whatever it will be fine. It was also annoying that I bought 2 spare batteries as an early adopter and then they started giving away the second battery with it, thought thanks very much!

• @Mackinise I think it depends what you want it for really whether to get it, the problem with the app seems to have righted itself this time for a while, so fingers crossed. @Vitaliy have done a little video explanation of tings I've encountered but as I'm from the north of england there is little likelihood it will be of benefit to anyone!

• I'm coming to the conclusion it's the wifi connection that is the issue, this morning it kept saying on the phone it was connected but seemed to keep dropping, took several attempts to be able to get to the camera view.

• Software definitely settled down. If anyone wonders if buying the extension arm and putting a rode video mic pro will overcome that fan noise, this is what you get, password osmo

• Quite happy with the DJI osmo - it does it's thing really quite well. The tracking shots in the video below were all shot with the osmo (the rest with sony a7s & rx10mk2) - first time I brought it out for a shoot, and I was really happy with how easy it was to work with and how fast I could get the shots I needed. No hiccups at all. As a compliment to a run and gun set-up it's really quite awesome. Just be sure to bring extra batteries. This shoot was pretty kamikaze, very fast with no time to have proper control over light sources - still the d-log profile was ok even in those bad conditions. The video is for the Danish 'Dance of the Year' - an accesible dance created yearly with an eye that anybody in Denmark (or wherever) could learn it.

• Now they've updated firmware to turn the fan off during recording I think this will be a super bit of kit for corporates and anyone who can use it with just the wide angle lens it's born with. So do buy mine off me!

• OSMO maybe release update version soon.

• Z-Axis arm

• DJI OSMO Gimbal Test

• Osmo with Z-Axis

• DJI Osmo Plus

• 22-77mm zoom lens, 3.5× optical and 2× digital lossless zoom.
    • 4K video, 12 megapixel photos, silent recording.
    • Professional 3-axis stabilization.
    • Take sharper selfies with a 50cm minimum focus distance.
    • Support for motion timelapse, panorama, long exposure and more.
    • Compatible with a range of optional accessories. Shoot anytime, anywhere.
    • $649 at http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-plus
    img1239.jpg
    548 x 434 - 22K