Personal View site logo
BlackMagic Micro Cinema Camera for drone, $995
  • 205 Replies sorted by
  • It seems to be a BMPCC with a faster sensor readout, essentially...so it has less noise, less rolling shutter and better movements..however we have to wait for the first real technical tests, I think we will see several scientific and user tests in the next week...

• https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/video/93298de7281044cf990b1f8783ef7827

This Micro is in the shots, but zero info about it, goes to show how little they care about it now.

In a forum post Grant explains that the Micro suffered "random bad pixels" in GS mode: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45691

I wonder if the sensor was overheating, ie. the cooling isn't good enough for GS.

• wow £1k on amazon....cvp.com £762, think i'll wait a bit longer

• any news or rumors about future discounts or price drops for this camera?

• any serious reviews out there?

• @Maxwell

What you mean under serious reviews?

• On youtube you just find samples. On eoshd they talk about fpn and a work around in Davinci Resolve. That doesn't sound usable for me. As far I do remember Philip Bloom did 3 reviews(answering updates in firmware) on the bmpcc to be finaly happy. What I'm missing is someone trying to use this beauty and sharing it's failures.

• Review

Anywhere is exactly where the Micro fits. By shaping the camera body a certain way, Blackmagic made certain this camera can fit into any corner. This single feature opens up the creative options when placing the camera for a shot. What the small size also means, to me, is the Micro Cinema Camera becomes the Point Of View camera for productions ranging from super low-budget to a Hollywood feature. Hey, if the Blackmagic Pocket Camera can be used on the film “Furious 7” then the Micro Cinema Camera can be used as well.

http://www.provideocoalition.com/MicroCinemaCameraReview

• ordered the dji inspire 2 just dont see the point of the blackmagic micro camera now ,for drone use that is, with the x5s its so light and compact its crazy..

• @woobirdy - what is the "x5s"..?

Edit: All right - it is a fancy DJI gimbal/camera.

• @woobirdy - you're comparing a camera that's been out in the field earning money for nearly year to a camera that isn't available yet? I too have an I2 on order. But the comparison makes no sense. The X5s is only light and compact because half of it is in the copter now. The micro offered 1080 60p RAW and Prores to SD cards 10-12 months ago for $1000 bucks. The X5s will cost over $3500 to capture RAW and Prores. And that doesn't even factor in the cost of the copter. Apples and oranges I think.

• @filthy - you are spot on, I can't say it better.

• As of today, whats the cheapest drone w gimbal solution that can fly the micro cinema camera?

• That what it was advertised for? and really dont see it being used with a drone ...

• Cheapest and flying cameras that can shoot RAW/Prores probably don't belong in the same sentence. Reality is that if your clients truly need footage shot in these formats, then you're primary concern isn't the cheapest way to fly the camera. There really isn't an off the shelf solution for it. At the time, most pilots flying this cam were mounting it up on custom built rigs they already had (myself included). I only had it for a couple of months. Between the cumbersome adapter and more expensive workflow, it turned out to be not a good solution for my business. If you want cheap, look into the new Phantom 4 Pro. Complete solution can be had under $2k once you factor in extra lipos, tablet, case, etc. I've been using one on smaller gigs and it's an amazing piece of kit for the money. This doesn't of course included the cost and time involved in getting certified and insured. It's pretty insane to think about how far the tech has come in just a couple of years.

• Filthy not understanding your logic, the question was clearly regarding the micro cinema camera..thanks bro!

• Just trying to point out that this cam was a great concept, but fell short with no global shutter as promised, cumbersome adapter cabling and late delivery. I flew this on a custom built X8 that was really designed for heavier loads. And while the SBUS setup allows to control and map nearly all camera control. That's instantly makes it a 2 man setup up. You need a separate cam op with a separate radio to actually control everything (i.e. exposure adjustments) since nearly all radios top out at 14-16 channels. For me personally, it wasn't viable to run this in a 1 man setup effectively. So while you're question isn't easy to answer in just a simple dollar amount due to all the variables to consider (and there are a ton). I'd guesstimate you're looking at $3-4k min to get this up in the air safely and effectively. And that's going the 2nd hand copter route. New would probably be north of $6-8k. The main reason you don't see it being used more in commercial work is that there are many other options with the bulk being either lower end or much higher end both in equipment and day rates. This one kind of got lost in the middle. Plus DJI is pretty much dominating the RTF market at the moment.