Personal View site logo
Samyang/Rokinon cine lenses
  • 197 Replies sorted by
  • Responding to the increasing demand for high-quality cine optics for cameras and camcorders, Samyang has prepared a special offer aimed at professional filmmakers, enthusiasts and film schools. Four kits of cine lenses with dedicated "hard" cases will be released on the market at the beginning of November.

Samyang Cinema Kits include selected V-DSLR lenses and cases to protect them against accidental mechanical damages and unfavourable atmospheric conditions, such as dampness or dusting. Depending on the contents of a selected kit, the cases will be offered in two sizes. Smaller (330×310×148 cm) which weighs 1.65 kg and houses up to three lenses, and larger M case (400×320×180 cm) which weighs 3.2 kg and houses up to six lenses.

Samyang Cinema Kit 1

Wide-angle kit for 35mm and Super 35mm cameras and camcorders, e.g., Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, Cinema EOS, RED Digital Cinema, Sony Professional Cameras S35.

• Samyang V-DSLR 14mm T3.1 ED AS IF UMC
    • Samyang V-DSLR 24mm T1.5 ED AS IF UMC
    • Samyang V-DSLR 35mm T1.5 AS AS UMC
    • Samyang S Case

Samyang Cinema Kit 2

Standard kit for 35mm and Super 35mm cameras and camcorders, e.g., Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, Cinema EOS, RED Digital Cinema, Sony Professional Cameras S35.

• Samyang V-DSLR 85mm T1.5 AS IF UMC
    • Samyang S Case

Samyang Cinema Kit 3

Kit for APS-C or for smaller sensor size cameras and camcorders, e.g., Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

• Samyang V-DSLR 8mm T3.8 UMC Fish-eye CS II
    • Samyang V-DSLR 16mm T2.2 AS UMC
    • Samyang V-DSLR 35mm T1.5 AS UMC
    • Samyang S Case

Samyang Cinema Kit 4

Wide-angle kit for 35mm and Super 35mm cameras and camcorders, e.g., Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, Cinema EOS, RED Digital Cinema, Sony Professional Cameras S35.

• Samyang V-DSLR 24mm T1.5 ED AS IF UMC
    • Samyang V-DSLR 85mm T1.5 AS IF UMC
    • Samyang 500mm F6.3 DX Mirror
    • Samyang M Case

http://samyang-europe.com/index.php/new-products/79-nowe-obiektywy-samyang-3

• why not 8 14 16 24 35 85 ?????

• I agree these sets don't make sense. The 16mm is such a better lens than the 14mm. I guess they need to unload that thing. Also that Kit 3 is wrong. Why put that 8mm in there instead of the 24mm? That makes no sense. Even with the crop the 8mm is a specialty lens. I would suggest that nobody here purchases these kits but that's just my opinion. I have shot with Rokinon Primes for over a year now so I know what works better with what by now and these just don't make sense.

• Yes. All the existing lenses with have X Mount in future.

Good for Fujifilm owners.

• This lens performs way and above how you might expect for such optic to. Sharpness is already very good in the centre of the frame at maximum aperture, and good towards the edges of the frame. Stopping down improves sharpness across the frame with peak performance being realised between f/5.6 and f/8.

With a price that's around the same as hiring the Canon, Nikon or Sony equivalent for a couple of weeks, this lens represents outstanding value for money.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-85mm-t1-5-as-if-umc-lens-review-23494

nex_5t20.jpg
    654 x 485 - 72K
    nex_5t19.jpg
    800 x 537 - 169K
  • A Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine that I ordered on eBay just arrived, and it appears to have a problem in the aperture. It doesn't open all the way. I've attached a picture looking through the lens at the aperture blades, of how it appears when opened as far as possible. It says its set to T1.5, but it isn't as bright as it should be, and the aperture blades clearly aren't all the way open. I'm guessing it's somewhere between f/2.0 and 2.8. The aperture does open smoothly all the way up to the marking that says T1.5, so I don't think the blades are stuck. I think the ring isn't properly "calibrated" with the aperture mechanism, if that makes sense.

The eBay description didn't mention this problem and the seller has a 30-day return policy, but I got a very good deal on this lens, and it's otherwise in great condition. I'm wondering whether anyone knows of any easy fix that would allow me to get the full T1.5 aperture, without exchanging it and probably spending a bit more $$ ?

photo.JPG
    640 x 480 - 89K
  • I'm wondering whether anyone knows of any easy fix that would allow me to get the full T1.5 aperture, without exchanging it and probably spending a bit more $$ ?

You can try to dismount aperture ring and check. But it can still be aperture problem and this one is tricky.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - I removed the aperture ring, and confirmed that it was a problem with the ring itself, not with the blades. The blades can be opened all the way by moving the internal pin. Now I just need to figure out how to reseat the aperture ring (it doesn't want to go back on...). Thanks!

Edit - OK, I put it back together. The lens now opens all the way using the mechanical aperture control on the mount (Nikon), but the aperture ring itself doesn't work. This doesn't really matter to me, since I'm using it exclusively with a Speedbooster (which has its own aperture ring), but I'm wondering whether anyone knows of a tutorial video for reassembling the back element of Nikon type lenses?

Edit #2 - After some more tinkering, the aperture ring and the rear mechanical aperture control both work. However, it turning the ring down to the T22-T8 (any lower than T8 doesn't close it further) only stops the actual aperture down to about T5.6. By the T2.8 mark, the lens is all the way open (T1.5). Clearly there is something wrong with this lens. I don't expect to shoot lower than T5.6 often so I'll probably hang onto this lens since I only paid $220 for it, but it'd be nice if it worked. I'll probably tinker with it some more tomorrow.

• Samyang company announces the release of new V-DSLR cine lenses fitted with Pentax K bayonet mount. The producer's decision was triggered by the growing demand among users of Pentax reflex cameras who are more and more willing to use their cameras for video shooting purposes.

http://samyang-europe.com/index.php/new-products/85-samyang-cine-lenses-with-pentax-k-mount-available-now

• New lenses presented in cinema variant

7.5mm T3.8

10mm T3.1

sales15.jpg
    582 x 450 - 36K
    sales16.jpg
    587 x 451 - 39K
  • Happy with my 25mm Samyang Nikon-Mount cine with its RJ Lens Turbo, I jumped at a 35mm as well, but this one's a Pentax-mount.

Now, it seems to me that another RJ Lens Turbo in Pentax version would gain me some speed but the .71 crop factor would only give me about the same FOV as the Nikon 25mm I've already got when used with a standard m4/3 adapter.

Has anybody seen much difference between the 35mm with Turbo and a 25mm without?

• samyang-compare.jpg
    800 x 417 - 58K
  • Getting ready to buy one or two of these, but I keep seeing multiple listings for similar lenses at differing prices. For example, the Rokinon Cine 35mm lens is listed as CV35M-MFT ($520) and DS35M-MFT ($599). Same thing for the 25mm and 85mm lenses. Same manufacturer, even sold by the same company... but price differences. Are there actual physical differences between these?

(At Amazon, the 50mm is sold under Rokinon and Samyang, with a HUGE price difference.)

ADDENDUM: I had to do a lot of checking, but apparently, the price difference is due some Rokinon cine lenses being part of a new "DS" line designed for greater uniformity. You know-- uniform focus, quality, color value, and the like, similar to the Veydra line that got Kickstartered recently.

• Yup, DS is the new range. All of mine (except the 8mm fisheye) are DS.

• I came close to buying these lens for my A7s. I do not think that would have been a mistake but.... I am really enjoying the AF and power zoom on my Sony 28-135 Cine. + I never have to change lens. The A7s does fine at f/4-11 in the near dark. I do not want/need shallow depth of field.

I would much more likely use these on a JVC LS300 or Sony FS7.

• I have a question about Rokinon MFT lenses. I have two Rokinon MFT cine lenses, a 25mm lens and a 50mm. But they appear to be MFT lenses because Roki put an adapter on them.

What kind of mount do these lenses have under the adapter? Canon? Nikon? I'm wondering if I'd get better results by taking the MFT adapter off, and using its native mount in an appropriate Metabones Speedbooster.

ADDENDUM: I took the adapter part off one of the Roki lenses. It doesn't have a mount underneath it: it's basically the back end of the lens, with no Canon or Nikon mount.