Personal View site logo
Panasonic Varicam LT official topic
  • 95 Replies sorted by
  • Three reasons I hate Canon lens.

1. Don't like white lens.
    2. Real bad luck with them on my 5D2. Sigma worked better for less money.
    3. Really like my Pro Nikkors.
  • @RRRoger haha. I'm totally with you on the white lenses.

• I wonder if my free NAB pass has expired? Might be worth going just to get "Hands On" the VariCam LT.

• I see it is ungraded. No wonder it is so flat!

I will have to get "Hands On" at NAB. I want to check out all the newest cameras including Nikon and Lieca + review the "old" FS7 and JVC LS300

• I got my free NAB exhibits pass but cannot find Nikon on the list.

They were there last year. I cannot fathom why they would not showcase the D5, D500, and new action cam there?

• There was a Panasonic Vericam LT event at a rental place in Boston and I decided to go and get some quick shots.

• Prices :-)

• $16,500 for VariCam LT Base. Includes Canon EF Mount, Control Panel, Top Handle
    • $21,600 for VariCam LT-VF. Includes Canon EF Mount, Control Panel, Top Handle, and OLED Viewfinder
    • $25,100 for VariCam LT-PRO. Includes Canon EF & PL Mount, Control Panel, Top Handle, OLED Viewfinder, Shoulder Mount, and Grip.
    • $27,600 for VariCam LT-PROEX. Includes Canon EF & PL Mount, Control Panel, Top Handle, OLED Viewfinder, Shoulder Mount, Grip, 2 X 256GB Cards and Reader.
  • So comparing to the base model...

An OLED viewfinder costs $5,100.
    A PL mount option, shoulder mount, and a hand grip costs $3,500.
    2x256GB cards + reader costs $2,500.

Are you f***ing kidding me?

• Are you f***ing kidding me?

Well, I have one word for you - "margins". Plus very low production volume.

If you knew factory build cost for Sony A7rII, for example, you can say same thing.

• The only way they are going to increase the production volume is to lower the price.

I would snap one up in a heartbeat at half the price.

• Forget the OLED viewfinder. Just hook up a Shogun and record to it. In so doing, you will also knock out the need for their overpriced cards. Simple.

• I like this camera a lot. Considering that cameras are now like "film stock" of the old days, you can get a different look that isn't everywhere (Canon, RED, Arri). Not saying it's better or worse, just different.

• @Ralph_B SDI-OUT is 3G, so 1080p debayered to Rec.709. HDMI out is likely 2.0 so 4K but certainly not RGB444. The only reasonable recording option outside internal cards will be Odyssey 7Q+ with RAW.

• Does the Varicam LT have an HDMI port? I don't see any mention of it.

• @Ralph_B Good point. I looked it up and it doesn't. RAW will go out on dual SDI-3G, individual SDIs are Rec.709 (I assume, since Rec.2020 is 4K) and that is it. Connectors: - 3G-SDI OUT x3 (SDI OUT 1/ SDI OUT2/VF SDI) - Genlock IN - TC IN/OUT - LAN - USB HOST (for Network Connect) - USB DEVICE (miniB) - XLR 5 pin x1, XLR 3 pin x2 - DC OUT 4 pin Hirose x2 - Lens/Grip Connector 12 pin - 12 V DC-IN 4 pin - Head Phone x1 3.5 mm Stereo Mini Jack

• Where did you get the info about RAW and the dual 3G SDI?

• Convergent Design Product Manager talking about Odyssey 7Q+ RAW option in development, also press release