Personal View site logo
PIX-E 4K recorder from Sound Devices
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks RRRoger! Can you explain why the A7s is better for your work? I would think that OIS in the II would be worth upgrading for if nothing else.. And finally, sorry if off topic but after A7s is recorded externally, do you prefer it to the GH4? Of course for low light and full frame stills but otherwise?

• I will explain why the A7sII is not better.

I only shoot on a TriPod. I don't need or want IBIS. There is speculation that the in camera stabilization contributes to overheating, it also makes it bigger & heavier. When I shot 4k internally my A7sII overheated and shut down after 4 minutes repeatedly in a room that was under 70 degrees. Charging the Wimpy battery while shooting is not viable. The solution was to use a dummy battery, external power, and record external only. The clincher for returning the camera was when I tried shooting 1080P120 in low light. The Video quality was poor and full of moire, evidently due to the 2.2 crop.

At ISO 6400-8000 the A7s with 4k DownRes to 1080P30 is very clean. Outside in the Sunlight I almost always use my GH4 instead. You get 3 hours of uninterrupted (1080P60) Video internally on one battery and card. My complete outfit with 3 lens goes in my smallest bag. I can use a small, lightweight carbon fiber TriPod if needed.

Back on topic: When the Pix recorders came out they were the best for price. Now that the Ninja Assassin has been announced, every one is rushing firmware upgrades. Great time to wait and to shop smart for a 4k recorder.

• http://www.videodevices.com/news/video-devices-news/video-devices-previews-h-264-at-nab-2016

LAS VEGAS, APRIL 13, 2016 — Video Devices will preview a new recording capability for the popular PIX-E Series of 4K-compatible recording monitors at the 2016 NAB Show – Booth C6040. The PIX-E Series will showcase two new features—the addition of the H.264 codec and the capability of simultaneously recording a high-quality, edit-ready Apple® ProRes file and a much smaller size H.264 MP4 file.

These new features will be available to PIX-E owners at no cost in a future firmware update.

• Looks like Pix is our low cost leader and plans on staying there. I already have an 7Q+ or I would get one just for the superior monitor that I saw at last years NAB.

• I love the PIX-E 5. So great to get regular upgrades without having to pay extra for new features.

• @DouglasHorn, what's your take on the Pix in outdoor situations. The specs are at the edge of what is generally considered usable outdoors. I'm guessing it's no good in truly bright direct sunlight, but how about other outdoor scenarios? Also, how's the glossy screen with reflections.

The idea of a pix-e 5 combined with sound devices preamps in the Pixlr is VERY tempting to say the least!