Personal View site logo
GH1: 100Mbps Max Latitude Settings V2
  • 73 Replies sorted by
  • i have a Samsung Class 10 card, the write speed is around 19-20mbits/sec.

why does the MJPEG mode have a much higher bitrate at 720p?

• tried the GOP 3 patch today, i'm staisfied! where i got 18mbps with the max latitude hack, now i get around 28-30mbps and the quality is good. thanks!

• The Max Lat patch 720p 30 3GOP mode is ultra reliable and produces very sharp, detailed, colourful images and great motion. I've been using this now for all my land based shots and interviews. I think this 3 GOP patch is the must underrated and under utilised patch ever made for the GH1. It looks superb on a large LCD tv screen, almost too sharp. I still have no need for 1080 when you have this much detail and IQ.

I would dearly love to have this available for GF2

• now i need a faster card, not sure what to get for the GOP 3 highest quality hack. 45MB/sec Sandisk, or 95MB/sec UHS-I sandisk? what does the UHS-I means, does it work in the GH1?

• @HollyBoni use Sandisk 95MB/s SDHC for any of the GOP3 patches on the GH1

• but the Sandisk 95MB/sec is UHS-I, does the GH1 supports that thing?

• @HollyBoni
    Exactly, this is the one. I am using 32GB version of this card on my GH1s and they work just great. I think I could never have achieved the stability and spanning in "Varigop" patch without this ultra fast card. I even think LPowell could boost his GH1 patches still a bit with this card.

SDHC.jpg
    162 x 200 - 29K
  • As you probably know Lpowell, this patch is more stable and pretty much indestructible with an Extreme Pro card without checking the 24p wrapper box in AVCHD mode. You can even raise the overall rate to 120MBps AND raise the audio quality to atlest 32,000,000 without any worry of 'MOTION CANCEL DURING RECORDING'--because of the inherent flaws of 24p in this cameras codec. For some reason the wrapper is the evil DEMON to defeat higherr quality in the GH1 not the other settings...

If anyone wants this patch without ever worrying about Motion Cancel, just uncheck the 24p wrapper and be done with it. You still get the high bitrates and you will get better audio (unplayable in camera, of course because of the audio) without any worries of motion cancel...

I use an odd MJPEG patch of my own construction--a sort of Silent Film 18FPS version at 1728X972, but otherwise its a combination of two or three patches in AVCHD. Its usually around 25Mbps for Soft Focus Narrative work, but can reach 50-60Mbps depending on how much is in focus for my camera. I'm curious if this holds for others. Standard Film Mode or Nostalgic yield a little more dynamic range I've found (sometimes they are even a full F-stop brighter than Dynamic, Nature, Vivid...). Anyways, happy hunting everyone.

It probably is 100% reliable with both Extreme and Extreme Pro cards BTW... I only own the Pro version, though it seems smarter to buy the former, because of the GH1's write speed limits.

seta.ini
  • I'm using it on GH1 and I don`t get how maximum 100 bitrate works - it's producing same average 10-18 Mbps files on different speed cards. How can I really boost bitrate to see real results and effect on slower cards (when it's chokes and stop recording) because at this moment they acting the same (class 10, 10MB/s and 40MB/s)

• As I understand the GH1 menu had default option for 2 video modes AVCHD and MJpeg with 3-4 subcatecories in them that is responsible for aspect ratio, frame size and etc. Now with patches those options are been replaced with hacked ones but major properties (aspect ratio, frame size and etc) are kept the same? Is this correct? Some patches are best for AVCHD, some for Mjpeg, how can I combine best of them into one patch? (like 100mbps AVCHD and Anamorphic Mjeg into one) Can I combine patches in that way - FHD from one patch, SH from second and H from third? Or I patches only set whole AVCHD or Mjpeg modes?

• @Bubel Combining of AVCHD and MJPEG from different settings is no problem at all. However, FHD, SH and H are in ceirtain dependence of each other so you should be careful with that.

Bitrate is variable and strongly dependent on amount of recorded details. In general, GH1 can't handle 100 Mbps for longer than 3 seconds as the buffer will extend camera's memory capacity before all the data get through GH1's bottle-neck and weakest point: its SD card slot.

• @tetakpatak, thank you for reply! What is maximum MB/s speed GH1 can record? Is there a hints how to combine hacks? (I want 100Mbps Max Latitude in AVCHD and Anamorphic version for MJPEG)

• @Bubel sorry, I was one week without internet, LOL

The peaks of GH1's AVCHD stream can reach 100Mbps. It is however freezing easily then. About 50Mbps constantly is about the limit, I would say.

GH1's encoding quality is good by 50Mbps by good day lighting, for my own taste GH1 has very cinematic look, but I must add that I am quite a big fan of vintage look.

• Thanks for the great work to all contributors, I used this setting a lot, but had some failures some times saying the SD card is too slow (sandisk extreme pro 32GB, class 10, 95MB/s).

for example I got with the gh1 100Mbps hack (manually pushed the audio to 448 kbps as well) the following mediainfo output:

Format : BDAV Format/Info : Blu-ray Video File size : 2.51 GiB Duration : 26mn 58s Overall bit rate mode : Variable Overall bit rate : 13.3 Mbps Maximum Overall bit rate : 108 Mbps

Video ID : 4113 (0x1011) Menu ID : 1 (0x1) Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : High@L4.0 Format settings, CABAC : No Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15 Codec ID : 27 Duration : 26mn 58s Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 12.4 Mbps Maximum bit rate : 16.6 Mbps Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 25.000 fps Standard : NTSC Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.238 Stream size : 2.33 GiB (93%) Color range : Limited

Audio ID : 4352 (0x1100) Menu ID : 1 (0x1) Format : AC-3 Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 Mode extension : CM (complete main) Format settings, Endianness : Big Codec ID : 129 Duration : 26mn 58s Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 448 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : Front: L R Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Bit depth : 16 bits Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 86.5 MiB (3%)

• Is it possible to get the 100mbps in 1920x1080 24p?

• Just install the patch into your GH1 and find out the answer by your self!

• Is it possible to get this 1080p w/ 50mbps 24p non-interlaced?

• Hi again, I just browsed trough some records and noticed a strange doubling of street lights in one shot, any idea how this may have happened? It's shot using the 100mbps max latitude setting, but I guess this hack doesn't have to do with it?? I'm asking because I would like to prevent this kind of effect in the future.. Thanks in advance!

• Don't think that's anything to do with the hack

• O.K. where else to post it to get a suggestion what it could cause?

may it be some lense-flare like effect?

• Whats the best patch for studio (controlled lighting) using anamorphic (2x) lens ? I have not used the GH1 in a while, but have something in couple days that would be nice for it.Do we have a 4:3 anamorphic patch for 2x lenses on gh1?

• @kolinko My guess would be that you had a filter on the camera? I get this some times when using an ND filter and it is the light passing through the filter, reflecting off the lens and onto the back of the filter, which the camera then sees. Maybe a certain type of adapter would cause this, but I'm betting on a UV filter.