Personal View site logo
Star Wars: Imperialism Awakens
  • 60 Replies sorted by
  • Well, here's my review:

• Is there any confirmation of the digital intermediate format of this film? 2k, I would assume.

• I frankly enjoyed parts of this movie tremendously - particularly all the early parts before the old actors came on screen. We got a glimpse of an original Star Wars there, and that was a blast. But in my opinion, the villains and the ANH similarities were onerous. And John Williams did 'mail in' the score, as brilliant as he is. The Phantom Menace score was great...

• And John Williams did 'mail in' the score, as brilliant as he is. The Phantom Menace score was great...

All new trilogy sound tracks are very good.

• Just saw it again, and I think I enjoyed it more the 2nd time. The flaws were more apparent, but it was just fun. It still genuinely made me smile and laugh with excitement in a few spots, not many movies have that effect on me.

• Same here. On the second pass I was able to really appreciate the set designs and flow of the action more. The Falcon and X-wing sequences had a strange mystical feeling to them that were really enjoyable to watch in the unique vantages they were presented. Harrison Ford's performance was really impressive, even better the second time around I think. It has me wondering if Mark Hamill will also "bring it" in episode 8.

The only thing that felt a little off was the Kylo-Rey match-up toward the end. Unless she was somehow channeling Luke, there's no way she'd be able to match Ren's skill, even with his injuries. If she came out of it more beat up I would've been more convinced and it would've seemed much less tacky. That being said, I think she's got the grit to be a great hero character, hopefully on a similar level to Sigourney Weaver's portrayal of Ripley in Alien(s).

• Feb issue of American Cinematographer Magazine will cover the cinematography of Force Awakens. Feb. Cinefex Issue 145 VFX of Star Wars : The Force Awakens.

http://www.cinefex.com/next_issue.htm

https://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/December2015/current.php

zebra599.jpg
    632 x 625 - 56K
  • Watched the movie. It was awesome! My list: 5, 4, 6, 7, 3, 2, 1

• While talking to Rose about how much he loved the films he created and four of which he directed — even calling them his "kids" — Lucas said "sold them to the white slavers that take these things, and ... "

They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different — different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

Before the deal came about, Lucas said he planned on writing and directing the sequels to his original trilogy. Then the sale occurred. Disney was not interested in his ideas for the follow-ups, so he stayed away from the production of Force Awakens, he said.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-quips-he-sold-851545

Btw first few pages of reviews on IMDB really deliver and this is worse few pages of any more or less good rated film I saw.

• Eventhough I love SW, I am not a star wars "die hard fan", but I grew up watching the original trilogy as a kid, that gave me dreams and interest in science fiction. I was more excited about possibilities than the films themselves. For TFA I wasn't expecting much... I really disliked the prequels for obvious reasons. There was the original take on the story which was interesting but only in small amount, because in my opinion telling the story of young Vader was a huge mistake. You don't take a mysterious myth and try to explain it later if you don't have something extraordinary to tell, which obviously wasn't the case at all.

I watched again all 6 films before going to theatres for TFA. The prequels were atrocious to watch again (now I know I will NEVER see them again) and the original trilogy was fun but deeply flawed. It had so much potential but already ruined back in the days (hello ewoks), so even if i love star wars I can't say objectively they were "perfect" movies... far from it. They just succeedeed to bring dreams and a vast universe to explore and dream of.

Now for TFA I would say I was almost pleasantly suprised. I knew it was a remix of IV so no disapointment story-wise (that was a very coward move from them but I understand the fear they had to go original). It was funny at some points, I loved the spaceships battles (x-wings, ties, etc) even if there wasn't enough. The characters were ok, not very deep that's right but at least the "stupid decisions" you see in most movies nowadays seemed very light so that is a good point. Kylo Ren was a good concept but not necessarily well executed. Once he removes his helmet, aside from the disapointment in seeing a teenager looking like a Harry Potter mate, the character itself becomes weak from that point. He looked like a badass first half then he's a crybaby for the 2nd half... that seemed weird. They should have put more emphasys on the madness of the character to make it feel coherent and interesting.

Snoke rhymes with joke. The design is ugly, the concept is dusty, Phasma was more interesting in the marketing department than in the film itself.

All in all, it was a brainless entertainment, it was fun, it could have been much worse, but clearly lacked any ambition besides making money. Let's see what they do with the other films... but i guess it'll be the same feeling.

well... to summarize my feeling: it was emotionally satisfying but failed at making me dream. It is a comercial rollercoaster success but a creative a failure. Now what were your expectations regarding this movie? I think that question sums up all post reactions for this new film.

• "clearly lacked any ambition besides making money": this. IMO Revenge of the Sith has set the bar very high (even if uneven), and this TFA thing doesn't connect with it in any meaningful manner; I'm talking about artistic continuity, not in-movie time period... I find it disrespectful even, not just lacking ambition.

However, as of Jan 1st the film has grossed $1.2 Billion worldwide...so in the end we should simply commend the Disney corporation for knowing their customers well and increasing value to their shareholders. A cleverer movie would've had less mass appeal. A story has to work on three levels to appeal to all types of viewers, but 90%+ of the public never sees past the first (popcorn) level. For me it failed even on the first level - weak acting, nonsensical props (lightsaber guard etc) - but the popcorn public sees them otherwise.

• How Disney Bought Lucasfilm—and Its Plans for 'Star Wars'

Iger understood Lucas’s concerns. “George said to me once that when he dies, it’s going to say ‘Star Wars creator George Lucas,’ ” he says. Still, Iger wanted to make sure that Lucas, who was used to controlling every aspect of Star Wars, from set design to lunchboxes, understood that Disney, not Lucasfilm, would have final say over any future movies. “We needed to have an understanding that if we acquire the company, despite tons of collegial conversations and collaboration, at the end of the day, we have to be the ones who sign off on whatever the plans are,” says Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-03-07/how-disney-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars#p5

• Remember this? Star Wars kit bashed, "A series of clips mashing up George Lucas’ sources of inspiration with the first Star Wars movie. He plans on publishing a book about his research."

• Nice movie in my view. A good match for Spaceballs, not as amusing but still laughable...

• I actually heard the advertising budget for this movie was a lot less than most blockbusters as Disney was mostly advertising on their own networks and relying on synergy with abc, Disney XD, ESPN, and the like.

• @Chaos123x "I actually heard" is an invalid statement. I don't know about anywhere on the globe but in France, It was everywhere from street adverts to the internet. We even saw weird product placement such as La Poste (letter & package/parcel company) having star wars goodies for their products. Even some Banks had advertisement. I'm pretty sure they didn't "PAY" anything to them though since having "STAR WARS" written somewhere is a source of income. It's likely they worked it out for a mutual benefit if not the company actually paid Disney (which make it far worse).

• I wish Chewie would have had a bigger rage reaction after "The big surprise". I wanted to see him rage tearing apart storm troopers and just going nuts. He just walked past Leia too towards the end. No emotional response.

• Oh I didn't know this was some kind of official debate.

I do know the hype, marketing, and product tie-ins don't hold a candle to the Phantom Menace. That was insane I doubt we will see anything even close to that again. TFA was rather tame, compared to Episode I's marketing.

• He continues, "I can understand that someone might say, 'Oh, it's a complete rip-off!' We inherited Star Wars. The story of history repeating itself was, I believe, an obvious and intentional thing, and the structure of meeting a character who comes from a nowhere desert and discovers that she has a power within her, where the bad guys have a weapon that is destructive but that ends up being destroyed — those simple tenets are by far the least important aspects of this movie, and they provide bones that were well-proven long before they were used in Star Wars."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/awards-chatter-podcast-jj-abrams-853171

It is like stating that as other piece of music used same basic notes you just copied it and resold.

• Few bits about sound

The team was a mix of JJ’s regular guys from [his production company] Bad Robot, along with people who were veterans from working in the Star Wars film universe. I think it was important to him and Lucasfilm to keep some of the threads continuing from the previous films, and that meant working with people who had a history with them.

http://www.avidblogs.com/sounds-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

It is fun how big money can cover even quite bad work.