Personal View site logo
Buy nikon or canon version samyang cine ii set
  • Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a set of cine primes from samyang.

Anyone think nikon or canon mount is definite way to go? I have metabones nikon adaptors to m43, but canon seems like I can connect to blackmagic etc cameras in future...

• 25 Replies sorted by
  • It is manual lenses, so Nikon F is preferred mount. And you can always later mount it on Canon EF.

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/lenses-mounts-faq

• Having used some cheap ebay Nikon F to Canon EF mount adapters in 2010, I can say they all were focusing past infinity, and the minimum focus was reduced. One could cut shims from aluminum foil and try to get the inf. point to match, or one could buy the MTF version which should be near perfect for focus (as I have heard). YMMV

• Looking on B&H the comments seem to favour the expensive adaptors (what's new there). But knowing adaptors there is little room for error- I don't want a wiggling lens!

When I decided to go nikon mount it was due to using nikon still cameras. And I had a few lenses in that mount.

However going with a samyang lens kit negates the "interoperability" with nikon still cameras anyway (no af).

So regardless of mount this will be a video lens set only.

I don't know if nikon will ever regain traction with the f-mount. Blackmagic only offer PL or EF.

There seems like much more future convergence around the canon EF mount.

• There seems like much more future convergence around the canon EF mount.

May be invest in E mount in such case? :-) Even more future.

• Yeah, call me strange but I don't like how flimsy pocket cameras are when they are attached to rigs-even with armour. I really love how much more solid everything is with an adaptor, (especially large solid ones). Unless camera is large and well made there can be play.

I don't know if Sony as a track history of keeping with lens mounts though. The way I see it the current choice right now for stability of platform in chronological order:

• F-Mount (released 1959)
    • EF (released 2003)
    • M43 (released 2008)
    • E-Mount (released 2010)

(Maybe F-Mount is next to change considering its the oldest of the list?)

Cinema industry usage:

• PL
    • EF

Photo industry usage:

• EF
    • F-Mount
    • M43
    • E-Mount

(I don't know many people that use E-Mount on their a7s for video)

Companies with lens mounts that care about video (most to least):

• Sony (very excited about video and low light)
    • Canon (has lots of C300 style pro-video DSLR killer style bodies)
    • Panasonic (has LOTS of expensive pro ENG cameras and cinema cameras- but for some reason isn't making lots of noise right now)
    • Nikon (Isn't 4k rumoured on the D5? That has to count for something)
  • I've gone with Nikon F mount, that way no matter what happens in the future I can feel confident I'll be able to easily keep on using them :-)

http://ironfilm.co.nz/rokinon-cine-lenses/

• Same for me...the large distance between lense and sensor makes them future proof, plus my Nikon AF-S 2.8 zooms are my favorite lenses...bought a Samyang EF mount which I've regretted ever since...

• Regarding the choice between Nikkor F mount and Canon EF mount for your manual lenses, I am with Vitaliy_Kiselev, IronFilm and PierreB -- get the Nikkor F mount.

I have a set of Nikkors that I have used on various film, video and still cameras since the mid 1970s. Most of those cameras have come and gone, but the Nikkors are still going strong due to their future-proof mount with the long flange focal distance.

I also have a couple of the Photodiox Nikkor-F-to-Canon-EF adapters. I think Photodiox has three versions of these adapters, and I got the cheapest one. There is no problem with infinity focus, and there is a slight amount of play. The play has never been a problem. If the slight play bothers you, get one of the higher-quality more expensive versions of the adapter, or use rails and a lens support (with a cable tie, if you are really particular).

In some cases, the Nikkor F mount is also "present-proof" compared to the Canon EF mount, due to the electronic dependency of Canon EF lenses. For example, there exist tilt/shift, tilt/swing adapters for the Canon EOSM camera, and there is also a focal reducer for the EOSM (that essentially makes it a full frame camera!). However, all of these adapters only have Nikkor F mounts, and these adapters have been available for about a year and a half. Evidently, the manufacturers of these adapters are afraid or unwilling to commit to tooling-up for non-electronic versions with a Canon EF mount.

By the way, your short list of mounts under the heading "Cinema industry usage" excludes every cinema industry mount that appeared in the nine decades before the Arri PL mount (1982), two of which are still in active use/manufacture.

In addition to the two mounts that you list under "Cinema industry usage," I can think of six more mounts that are currently in active manufacture/use for cinematography:

1. The Panavision PV mount;
    2. The B4 mount;
    3. The Sony FZ-mount (included on some of the Sony Cine Alta line);
    4. The C-mount (currently the default on Digital Bolex);
    5. The Sony E-mount (Sony FS7, FS700);
    6. Micro 4/3s (Blackmagic, JVC).
  • @tupp

I was just looking at current cinema camera mounts. Red is EF or PL - Blackmagic is the same (apart from BMCC & BMPCC).

If I want to rent lens kit I really thought EF is way to go now.

Just realised how much I hate all these mounts! Maybe Nikon should stop making cameras and just license mount! ;-)

• I was just looking at current cinema camera mounts. Red is EF or PL - Blackmagic is the same (apart from BMCC & BMPCC).

... Apart from the BMCC and the BMCC? Aren't those the two cameras that MADE the Blackmagic camera division? Perhaps we shouldn't so readily dismiss those two cameras which are still in wide use and still sought after.

Furthermore, a more accurate way to convey how prevalent the micro 4/3s mount is with Blackmagic cameras would be to say that all of the Blackmagic cameras offer micro 4/3s mounts, apart from the BMPC, the Ursa Major and the Ursa Minor. (The BMCC, the BMPCC, the BMSC, the BMMSC and the BMMCC all offer micro 4/3s mounts, but not the BMPC and the two Ursas.) That's five out of eight Blackmagic cameras that offer micro 4/3s.

If I want to rent lens kit I really thought EF is way to go now. Just realised how much I hate all these mounts!

As some folks here have suggested, if one wants to buy manual lenses, one is probably better off in the long run getting Nikkor F mounts rather than Canon EF. That advice is for one to take or leave, but it might be good to learn the simple concepts behind those suggestions, before making a buying decision.

Do you understand flange focal distance and how it affects a lens' capability to adapt to different cameras?

Maybe Nikon should stop making cameras and just license mount! ;-)

Not sure what this means, but the Nikon still shooters would probably not be too crazy about Nikon ceasing to make cameras.

• Most F-mount lenses focus in the wrong direction. That would be reason enough for me to choose Canon.

• Most F-mount lenses focus in the wrong direction. That would be reason enough for me to choose Canon.

Not sure if this comment is relevant to the thread, as it is doubtful that Samyang would change the direction of the focus ring depending on which lens mount one chooses.

However, I have seen this sentiment parroted numerous times in camera forums in recent years, and I never really understood the problem.

In the first place, there is no "wrong" nor "right" way for a focus ring to turn -- the connection between lens ring rotation and "near/far" is completely arbitrary.

Of course, there may be a more prevalent direction of focus rotation, but I honestly have never noticed, and I have been racking focus for a few years. For the most part, I just rack from "mark 1" to "mark 2" or from the starting, "loose" mark to the tape stop (if I can't watch marks while focusing). Very simple.

If I can't use marks nor stops, I rehearse the rack a few times.

The look of a lens is much more important to me than in which direction the focus ring turns.

Canon lenses certainly have a great look, but so do Nikkor lenses. If it comes down to a choice between buying Canon lenses and Nikkor lenses, I would choose Nikkor. The main reason for this choice is not that the Nikkors have a more adaptable flange-focal-distance -- it is that Canon EF lenses depend on separate electronics to merely control their aperture. That dependency is a significant burden that limits which cameras will readily accept one's lenses, and that burden could become a serious adaptability problem as cameras progress and move forward.

• The Samyangs in F-Mount do turn in the Nikon direction. (at least the few I checked do)

Sure, there's no right or wrong way. There's the Nikon & Asahi way, and then there's the way practically everyone else does it, including all TV & cine lenses. Rack focusing is one thing. Run & gun is another. You develop muscle memory that can't be easily retrained. So anyone who has experience with one direction is going to have a lot of frustration and false starts if they ever switch.

We're talking about all-manual lenses, so an argument about the electronic iris control doesn't apply. And sure, F-mount lenses are more adaptable. But what camera are you going to adapt them to? There's virtually no mount in between Nikon and Canon that has any significance for video, and there's not likely to be in the future. The trend is for shorter flange focal distances. There hasn't been a new mount in that range in more than 20 years.

• @tupp

Thanks for your input. It's really helpful.

I completely understand the flange distance etc. This is actually why I own only nikon mount lenses and lots of adaptors.

I thought it would be good to have an open discussion as canon EF seams to be everywhere! ;-). Wanted to make sure I wasn't falling behind the 8 ball.

Just love the 35mm- use it every shoot!

Only bad thing is I really want the VDSLR version!!

:-/

As for the nikon selling thing- I shoot nikon only, so I would be one of the disappointed ones! But if you read this forum you would know dslr camera sales are in negative territory, and it's all looking bleak! And nikon have decided to outsource their sensors anyway! (I think that the sensors are Sony????)

• The Samyangs in F-Mount do turn in the Nikon direction. (at least the few I checked do)

Really? It's difficult to believe that a lens manufacturer would spend the money for the extra tooling and inventory requried merely to provide a choice of focus ring directions, depending on the lens mount chosen.

Furthermore, I just did a quick web search and found this article and this thread, and both claim that Samyang lenses with Nikkor F mounts focus in the opposite direction from Nikon, with no exceptions mentioned.

There's the Nikon & Asahi way, and then there's the way practically everyone else does it, including all TV & cine lenses.

I agree that there is one prevalent way, but I am not sure how long it has been so prevalent -- film and video lens manufacture goes back for many decades.

Rack focusing is one thing. Run & gun is another. You develop muscle memory that can't be easily retrained. So anyone who has experience with one direction is going to have a lot of frustration and false starts if they ever switch.

I have done my share of "run & gun," and I admit that I am not the greatest at pulling focus in those situations, but I have never had a huge problem switching between focusing directions as I never seemed to get fully "conditioned" to one way or the other.

Furthermore, as I mentioned, I always try rehearse racks (racking) with a lens if I have to shoot "run & gun." After about 15 to 20 practice racks, you get a feel for the focus direction.

We're talking about all-manual lenses, so an argument about the electronic iris control doesn't apply.

Actually, the Canon EF dependency on electronic iris control is extremely relevant to which mount one chooses for manual lenses.

I explained in my earlier posts why having manual lenses with EF mounts limits the cameras/adapters that one can use. I even gave a current, real life example of two special adapters that might never accept EF lenses (but that do accept Nikkor F). Manufacturers avoid creating passive EF adapters, as they would have to deal with complaints from Canon EF lens owners.

And sure, F-mount lenses are more adaptable.

Agreed. And there are two important reasons why manual Nikkor F mount lenses are more adaptable than manual lenses with Canon EF mounts:

1. The Nikkor F mount involves absolutely no dependency on electronic aperture control (inexpensive, passive adapters abound);
    2. The Nikkor F mount has a longer flange-focal distance.

There's virtually no mount in between Nikon and Canon that has any significance for video, and there's not likely to be in the future.

Huh? Are you kidding? Go here and look at how many lens mounts have flange focal distances between Canon EF and Nikkor F -- I count 12 different "base" mounts which doesn't include more recent revisions!

There are a lot of these "in between" lenses that are used for video. Most have experienced a recent upswing in demand. A few brands (Contax, Olympus, Minolta) have such excellent optics that they get "rehoused" in cinema barrels.

In addition, the current Sony A mount and the current Pentax K mount fall within this range of flange-focal distances.

The trend is for shorter flange focal distances.

One would certainly hope so. It would be great if the camera manufacturers could agree on a wide-throated, non-proprietary mount with a flange-focal distance of about 18mm.

With such a mount as a standard, almost any lens could be mounted to any future camera with a full-frame sensor (or smaller).

There hasn't been a new mount in that range in more than 20 years.

Ahem... Sony A mount (2006) and Pentax K-AF2 mount (2007?).

• If really bothered by the direction Nikons focus rings turn, (1) Lanparte makes a $60.00 reverse gear for their FF (2) an Slr Magic rangefinder makes all lenses focus in the same direction, with the added benefit of a 240 degree focus throw and (3) I would expect my AC to use a focus puller and it would be his job to prep himself for working with whichever lenses will be used on the set for the day...again @tupp is right about the joy of hard stops on a decent FF and the puller watching the actor hit their marks as they move through the shot and pulls focus...almost impossible to mess it up, and if he/she did, it would probably be their last job for a while...IMHO...the look from Nikons far outweigh these obstacles, though I can understand on a 1 person run and gun situation things can get confusing...

• "The Sony FZ-mount (included on some of the Sony Cine Alta line)"

Yup, I've got a Sony FZ mount camera as it is a fantastic camera for your buck. Truly amazing.

But if I'd gone with a Canon EF collection I'd be screwed and unable to leap for this bargain, because while a Nikon F to FZ mount is cheap (hundred bucks), an active Canon EF to FZ mount will be a thousands bucks or even much more!

• @tupp, you said you didn't understand why anyone would care about the focus direction, so I explained it to you. That article of Alister's explains it too. You don't need to try so hard to discredit what I say. You can prioritize adaptability. I would prioritize the focus direction. I'm just laying out the facts, so that any person can make his or her own decision.

That article of Alister's that you linked doesn't say Samyangs focus the right way. He specifically said he sold a reverse-focusing Nikon-mount Samyang 14/2.8 and replaced it with a Canon-mount Samyang. He said Sigmas all focus the right way.

I checked the F-mount VDSLR Samyang 85/T1.5, the 50/T1.5 and the 35/T1.5, and they all focus in the Nikon direction.

Huh? Are you kidding? Go here and look at how many lens mounts have flange focal distances between Canon EF and Nikkor F -- I count 12 different "base" mounts which doesn't include more recent revisions! There are a lot of these "in between" lenses that are used for video.

It's not a question of whether the lenses in that range can be used for video. It's a question of whether any cameras in that range are used for video. Between Canon EF mount and Nikon F-mount, you've got a bunch of old SLR mounts, Sigma SA mount, Pentax K mount, Sony A-mount and the Nikon mount itself. I've barely heard of anyone using Sigma, Pentax, Sony A-mount, or Nikon cameras to shoot video. Sure, it's possible, but not so common.

And it's not hard at all to find all-mechanical adapters for Canon EF lenses to lots of different camera mounts, so I don't know what you're talking about. If you actually wanted Canon lenses with their electronic iris control, then you are more constrained about which adapters you can use. But that's not what we're talking about here. The Samyangs are all mechanical.

Ahem... Sony A mount (2006) and Pentax K-AF2 mount (2007?).

Sony A-mount is the same as Minolta A-mount, from 1985. Bit of a stretch to call K-AF2 a new mount, since it's an evolution of K-mount with no mechanical differences.

• you said you didn't understand why anyone would care about the focus direction, so I explained it to you. That article of Alister's explains it too.

Thank you for your explanation. However, neither you nor the article that I cited gave an explanation that I haven't heard before. As I mentioned, I have seen the sentiment many times in the past -- I just don't understand how folks get so conditioned to a focus direction, as I have been racking focus for a while without getting conditioned. Plus, a lot of racking is merely from one mark to another, so conditioning has no bearing in many cases.

You don't need to try so hard to discredit what I say.

I am sorry if I came across as trying to discredit you, but it is very difficult to believe that a manufacturer would change the tooling for a focus ring on a manual lens merely for a different choice of lens mount. However, I admit that you are right and I am wrong regarding Samyang offering the two focus ring versions.

That article of Alister's that you linked doesn't say Samyangs focus the right way. He specifically said he sold a reverse-focusing Nikon-mount Samyang 14/2.8 and replaced it with a Canon-mount Samyang.

Again, you are correct in that regard. I misread the article that I linked.

Just to make sure of the facts, I checked photos of the Samyang 14mm f2.8, and it appears the Nikon version indeed has a different focus direction than the Canon version, the Sony E version and the micro 4/3s version (look at one of the alternate photos).

I checked the F-mount VDSLR Samyang 85/T1.5, the 50/T1.5 and the 35/T1.5, and they all focus in the Nikon direction.

I wouldn't doubt it, now that I have seen it with my own eyes on the 14mm, 2.8.

It's not a question of whether the lenses in that range can be used for video. It's a question of whether any cameras in that range are used for video.

You said "There's virtually no mount in between Nikon and Canon that has any significance for video, and there's not likely to be in the future."

I simply replied that a lot of people are using the lenses in that range for video (which is why such lenses are selling so high on Ebay), and I pointed out two mounts that are used in current, active manufactured camera lines.

Additionally, there are many adapters that accept the lenses in this range.

Between Canon EF mount and Nikon F-mount, you've got a bunch of old SLR mounts, Sigma SA mount, Pentax K mount, Sony A-mount and the Nikon mount itself. I've barely heard of anyone using Sigma, Pentax, Sony A-mount, or Nikon cameras to shoot video. Sure, it's possible, but not so common.

It's a lot more common than you probably think. You also left out Contax, Minolta and Olympus, which are additionally getting rehoused in cinema barrels.

What you might be missing is that these "old" lenses are (were) an incredible value that cover full frame sensors. A lot of them are sharp as a tack, while some of the really old ones are sought after for their vintage character.

Such "old" lenses started to increase in popularity after 35mm DOF adapters came into vogue. Unfortunately, that demand boosted their prices.

I would also like to also point out that new cameras that shoot full HD video have been announced as recently as 3 weeks ago featuring the A-mount and as recently as 7 months ago featuring the K-mount.

And it's not hard at all to find all-mechanical adapters for Canon EF lenses to lots of different camera mounts, so I don't know what you're talking about. If you actually wanted Canon lenses with their electronic iris control, then you are more constrained about which adapters you can use. But that's not what we're talking about here. The Samyangs are all mechanical.

Actually, in quite a few instances, it is difficult, expensive or impossible to find certain adapters that accept lenses with Canon EF mounts (manual or passive). Both I and @IronFilm have given two real life examples.

Sony A-mount is the same as Minolta A-mount, from 1985. Bit of a stretch to call K-AF2 a new mount, since it's an evolution of K-mount with no mechanical differences.

You are correct. The Sony A-mount is derived from the Minolta A-mount. Nevertheless it is a current, very active mount (a camera using it was announced just three weeks ago) -- you can't dismiss it as "old."

Furthermore, there is no stretch in calling the K-AF2 a new mount, as it is actually different mechanically -- there are two new, physical (mechanical) electronic contacts in the mount's spec. And again, a camera shooting full HD was released with this mount earlier this year, so please don't try to portray the mount as inactive nor "old."

In addition, there are many adapters (with an optical element or for macro) available to attach Nikkor F lenses to Sony A-mount cameras and to Pentax K-mount cameras. Try to find one adapter that attaches a lens with a Canon EF mount to those two types of current cameras.

• @tupp

Check topic title from time to time :-) Also, no need to use so many citations and reply/compete on each and every point.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thank you for your suggestion about checking the topic title.

As you seem to notice, I tend to cite a point made by someone else and then respond directly to that point (made by someone else). So, perhaps checking the topic title should also be suggested to someone else (as I merely respond directly to their points). :-)

• Question: anyone know if I can use a VDSLR II for photography on nikon? I know it's manual manual. But I am concerned about aperture feeler ring. Normally functions with clicks- not free- and nikon has the spring.

• (Ps: for landscape photography- not sport)

Maybe if anyone has a vdslr nikon mount they can let me know if it has an aperture connection ring.

• Interesting conversation point: new Red Raven has canon EF lens support.