Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry markr041 but it's nowhere near as good as Oly's IBIS. Hell, even Sony's latest stabilisation looks better.

• @brudney

Well, it is not sensor based stab, so it is good for such stabilizers.

Sensor stabs have big flaw with cooling.

• Yes Vitaliy, for a software stabilizer it's pretty decent. I was referring to the 'best in-camera stabilizing for video of any camera' claim (I consider ibis to be in-cam). BTW, I hope Oly manage to keep their IBIS working in 4k for em-1 mk2.

• BTW, I hope Oly manage to keep their IBIS working in 4k for em-1 mk2.

Let me explain again. People who use such stabs do not make measurements of noise increase in quite hot temperature.

Good cinema cameras have really massive cooling systems for sensor, not only to cool it, but to keep it at same temperature, so you get consistent results. Sensor based stabilizers is thing going in opposite direction. Sensor with minimal cooling.

• The NX1 is amazingly capable in many, many ways that other cameras just are not. As a gimbal operator, my personal favorite is the autofocus which is best described as "it just freaking works. all the time." It's downright uncanny, but I almost NEVER see it hunt. Once it finds focus, (which it does very quickly especially with face tracking), it keeps focus, even when pushing in and out from the subject, spinning around it, above it, below it, or any other movement imaginable. I shoot all day long on my Ronin and never touch or even think about focus.

And should my arms get truly tired, or the gimbal run out of juice, the 16-50's OIS stabilization is very capable in its own right. You can do a lot with literally just the camera and this lens. Not many cameras can really say that.

The 4K is gorgeous, the 1080p is flawless, the slow-mo is inspiring. The colors are pleasing and the overall image rendering is very useable. The file sizes are obscenely small for their quality (I usually get a long day of shooting onto a 64GB card with room to spare, even in 4K.)

There are two things the NX1 is not:

It is not a raw cinema style camera.

And it is not a lowlight monster like some of the recent (Sony I'm looking at you) other mirror less options out there. That being said, it looks identical at ISO 800 as it does at ISO 100. I'm rarely scared to use the auto-ISO in relevant situations.

• And it is not a lowlight monster like some of the recent (Sony I'm looking at you) other mirror less options out there.

Many of this monsters made another round of dark crap content. I do not know why, but many people write reviews as if you do not need to set proper lighting.

• Many of this monsters made another round of dark crap content.

That's true. Somehow the capabilities of the A7s were interpreted as "Lighting no longer needed".

• Samsung Electronics recorded its highest-ever level of inventory assets as of the end of the third quarter of 2015, with estimations at around US$19.2 billion, according to Korea-based Digital Times.

• NX1 is only a grand at all retailers for the holiday season. Can't get a better deal in video :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081854-REG/samsung_ev_nx1zzzbzbus_nx1_digital_camera.html

• Seams very sad. Hopefully there will be an NX2? But I think samsung is very smart- get in quick then if it doesn't work get out quick.

I think people really only want a smartphone now anyway. Who needs food? There must be an app for that.

• This is the example of new Samsung investments:

• According to Stern online, Samsung has big problems selling their products and their warehouses are full. When you buy a smartphone S6 for example, you get loudspeakers for 350€ for free or a 2nd smartphone (galaxy grand prime) for free for example. Despite innovations their cameras do not rank in the top 3 of the cameras. As a result they will withdraw from the camera market in Germany.

Smartphones, Fernseher, Festplatten: Lager voll: Samsung wird seine Produkte nicht los http://www.stern.de/digital/smartphones/samsung--bekommt-der-galaxy-hersteller-seine-produkte-nicht-mehr-los--6574590.html

• @aked: Thanks for the link. A very interesting article that explains a lot. (Yes, I can read German)

• @DMZ Otherwise it would be hard :-)

• Despite innovations their cameras do not rank in the top 3 of the cameras.

What does it mean? In top 3 in sales?

It will be quite strange to expect this, as Sony made very smooth progress also.

• Yes, the sales. At least this is the way I interpret the text. Everything else would make no sense.

• UK market also done

In a statement sent to Amateur Photographer following reports circulating online, a Samsung representative said: ‘We quickly adapt to market needs and demands.

‘In the UK, we have seen a gradual and sustained decline in demand for standalone digital cameras and camcorders and related accessories.

‘For this reason, we have taken the decision to phase out the sales and marketing of these products.’

The UK statement added: ‘This is a local decision, based on local market conditions

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/samsung-to-axe-digital-cameras-and-camcorders-sales-in-uk-66286

• It appears that Samsung went all out to make an exceptional NX1 and NX500, and they did, but they had an unrealistic expectation that they will move into the top tier of the enthusiast/semi-pro market. Yes, they did somewhere, but not in the key western and other markets. That reminds me of Pentax - a great camera, very popular in Asia, but not very known elsewhere. To beat Canon, Nikon, and Sony with the 1st generation of great cameras by a company known for phones, TVs and appliances is not realistic, regardless how much money they pump into marketing. It did not work with their phones and TVs either.

They overproduced and are in a trouble sitting on huge inventory or products and components. Since they did that across the board indicates that their management is out of touch with reality - not unusual with Asian companies, where the management tends to live in a bubble and no one wants to burst it until it becomes very obvious. Now they are wide awake and are scrambling erratically for solutions. The stereotype "Asian haywire" did not came from nowhere.

No offense. I am just ranting on a slow Thanksgiving day, and am thankful to Samsung for such a great cameras!!! For my needs, they are still the best.

Joyful Thanksgiving to everyone (who cares) :).

• @DMZ

Again, you do not know Samsung management well enough. It is their style. In same style they killed their DSLR line (copy of K20 of Pentax).

I asked some people (who sell cameras) and none know about any big stock of NX500 or NX1.

Error with NX500 and NX1 is great overestimating of video crowd size.

• @Vitaliy: thank you, you just confirmed my conclusion. It is their style. :).

• If the stories all over the internet are true, it seems Samsung is exiting loads of different markets across Europe with its cameras. The frankly excellent NX1 is to be discontinued in Europe, Hong Kong and Australia, and it seems the Korean giant may be closing or selling its camera division completely. If we lose the technological innovation that Samsung showed in its flagship NX1, then photography will be all the poorer for it.

http://www.hashtagflash.com/why-samsungs-nx1-doesnt-deserve-to-disappear/

• This sucks. They were rolling out the firmware updates really showed promise. Only issue with this cameras is dealing with the codec. If anything their only fault was making a camera ahead of its time and not taking it to NAB.

• Only issue with this cameras is dealing with the codec. If anything their only fault was making a camera ahead of its time and not taking it to NAB.

No one waited Samsung at NAB. Contrary to idealists who do not know how things work, management had quite grounded understanding.

As for codec - no one in Samsung expected so hard patent wars (they had been unavoidable as US/EU companies want free money from consumers).

• The stereotype "Asian haywire" did not came from nowhere.

wha? It's always ugly when someone stereotypes a race, and it's always funy when someone comes up with a stereotype that doesn't actually exist. Carry on personal viewers!

• And now the TV department

As of the end of September capacity reached 33.47 million, down from 44.8 million a year earlier. This represents the largest capacity decline over the last five years. The company expects its capacity to reach 45 million units for 2015, down from 63 million in 2014, which is also another record drop

Same day in mobile branch

Samsung Electronics Co. said Tuesday that its mobile chief J.K. Shin and another co-chief executive officer would step back from day-to-day operations, as the South Korean technology giant looks to new leadership to revive its once-booming smartphone business.

And this is their two top performing things.