Personal View site logo
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • @wickitom

We'll see.

We had discounts on 11/11.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev will there be any Panasonic G7 Body-Only Black Friday deals from here?

• @feanorfinwe not sure what your point is but at those focal lengths the better DOF is up for debate.

• Makes you wonder if that can be used like focus stacking?

• “Panasonic will soon release new firmware update about end of November. The new function will be post-focus. It works just like 4K Photo as a photo mode. Camera shoots short 4K MP4 video and user can touch on any area to change focus point and save as JPG.”

Quite good news, if true (via 43rumors)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev. Is this just for today or for the rest of the month of Nov.?

5% discount on all cameras and lenses today from prices on deals.

• @skud007 That link works that Ezzelin mentions which has a link to his DVXuser post. There is also a discussion in the "GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail" thread about page 42 it starts. Everything you need to know is in the DVXuser post and downloads. I also see there is a post on using the system in Lumetri here http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/12795/gh4-firmware-2.3-v-log-for-99-epic-panasonic-marketing-fail/p51

• 5% discount on all cameras and lenses today from prices on deals - http://www.personal-view.com/deals/cameras/panasonic

• A few days ago, I used the AC power supply from the GH2 with the G7. Works fine; fits fine. The battery is underneath the camera which is a bit if a pain as far as access when the cam is on a tripod, but that's true of several of Panasonic models.

• @Scot Could you direct me to the info you mentioned below, thanks

Balaser created some LUTS to bring CineD into a log space for the GH4. Make sure to follow his instructions for setting up CineD to use his LUTS correctly

• I use the mp4v2 muxer with mp4 output. Try that instead.

• Could you be so kind and tell us which version of Avidemux have you used and which options have you selected? On my Avidemux 2.6.8 (64-bit?) I choosed the first file and appended the second file. Then I choosed Video output: copy and Audio output: copy and Output format: AVI Muxer. From two 4GB input files I get one 4GB file which does not contain any sound and which stutters when playing.

By the way, I am using UHD mp4 files with uncompressed sound on my GH4, but this should not be the problem, I suppose.

Damir

• I just recorded an hour long concert tonight continuously, using the G7 I purchased from this site. AviDemux can join the spanned mp4 files seamlessly into one mp4 file using Copy mode. I really like the G7. It has all the features I want, save sensor-based video stabilization in 4K (and a headphone jack would be nice). That'll be the next upgrade.

• Is the NTSC version limited to 60Hz frame rates or can you switch to 25 and 50p? (World cam?)

• @Scot thanks that is very helpful. Have you tried the curve adjustment feature? I'm very curious about that, it looks like a very powerful feature.

@quadrabay and the rest of you spanners lurking about. I think it's important to separate out spanning from time limit. Spanning traditionally means that when you get up to whatever the file size limit is, you start a new file. AVCHD "spanning" has its own set of annoying problems, and usually with MP4 clips, you just select them all and dump them on the timeline. On the GH2 (and the GH1) the camera would sometimes "choke" on a high bit rate or complex scene right when it was supposed to span, i.e., create a new file seamlessly after the previous one. So "spanning" in a hacked cam meant that it could record longer, even though there was no actual time limit. It recorded longer because it did not grind to a shuddering halt.

However, spanning does not mean a thing if the camera stops at its hard-coded time limit. When the camera stops after 30 minutes, there is no recording, and, therefore, no spanning. It's nailed to the perch.

Lastly, though Panasonic cameras use spanning, this is seriously stupid. A camera need not span at all; it can just make a really big file like the Sony ax100. Up to a point. Some cameras can also "span" two cards.

However, Vitaliy's magic cam just keeps on truckin'.

• There is a post on PhotoFunStudio that comes with camera and it will down convert. I suggest putting any questions there :)

• @DrDave Sorry missed your post. The 2 available zebras can be set from 50% to 105% and work great. I have done some crude tests inside and out and am thrilled with the Luts so far. As far as exposure set normally. Using CineD vs say a GH4 vlog it is more of a what you see is what you get. I use them with Resolve which is such a Breeze to use these Luts with. I apply the CineD to Log in the media bin. Than the Log to 709 to a node with or without light roll off as needed in the timeline or group the G7 clips together and apply them to the group as Resolve permits. I than create a node in each clip and do my log corrections as needed.

• @quadrabay

Use another topic for this question, please.

• Also...is there an application out there (PC) that will conveniently Downconvert the 4K files to 1080P? I can always simply do this in my editor (Edius) but it would be GREAT to have a convenient way to simply tell some software where the 4K files are, and automagically make them 1080p while I'm "doing many other things" and waiting. (like sleeping, for instance...)

Erik

• @quadrabay

Sorry, but all this added such a mess here, please read the topic before your posts.

US or PAL versions both have 30 min limit in 4K and high bitrate 1080p.
    Deal version is NTSC and does not have this limit.
    And it has nothing to do with spanning.