Personal View site logo
IPCC releases latest climate change data. More bad news.
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • Peer- review is still the best process/institution to evaluate science and subsequent policies. You guys say the system is corrupt. The only thing resembling credible evidence for the overall corruption of science/climatology is the long debunked "Climate gate" scandal, which turned out to be no scandal at all. Is there orthodoxy? Yes. Are there fraudsters that chase grant money? Yes. But indicting science and climatology in general as corrupt, without anything but anecdote for evidence is a fool's play and argues for a policy response of sitting on our hands.

The issue of pause is not accepted in many credible scientific circles. Here's what the American Meteorlogical Society said. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/BAMS-D-14-00106.1 Cooke writes that three different studies so far have refuted to socalled pause that deniers carry on about.

What's the best policy response? I dunno, but it's likely a double tipped spear, it will mitigate CC as well as the issue Vitaliy frequently comments on: limited supply of energy. I'd like to think there are solutions that don't require a near extinction event.

• The pause is acknowledged in the latest IPCC AR - are they deniers?? Even 'climategate' scientists like Trenberth acknowledged the pause in private emails back in 2009, describing the lack of continued warming as a travesty.

Cook is not a climate scientist - he is completing a PhD in cognitive psychology. And his 97% consensus paper has been shredded not least by authors of climate science papers he erroneously categorised as supporting the 'most global warming since 1950 is due to humans' contention.

You use the term 'denier' - This is a risky strategy as it may turn out to be you and global warming alarmists who are in denial. The AP has dropped this term.

I made very specific observations from a properly conducted study into global warming consensus. Climate scientists have low confidence in the ability of models to accurately predict global temperature. Yet the predictions of catastrophe are entirely predicated on those models being correct.

In the UK, there is a statistic called excess winter deaths. Some of these are attributed to pensioners not adequately heating their homes in winter due to cost. I am a doctor and have seen some of my elderly patients behave this way. In developing countries, the bias against oil and coal is causing considerable excess illness and death due to the poor using biomass to cook their food. Carbon trading markets perversely increase CO2 emissions. Wind farms require immense energy to construct and environmental damage through mining rare earth elements and concrete. Yet their EROE is terrible, they need backup diesel generators and their owners get rich through subsidy from energy bill payers.

So policy based on global warming can be and is immensely harmful.

• The 97% per cent figure has been challenged and defended competently, not shredded. It's in fact corroborated by the link you yourself provided -- your study actually put the figure at 98%. I don't know what to say, the citation you reference totally undercuts your own position on this. You think 98% of scientists are either incompetent or fraudsters and yet you work in a profession that relies on their work.

You might be right about the issues with various policy responses.

• A former climate modeller for the Government’s Australian Greenhouse Office, with six degrees in applied mathematics, Dr Evans has unpacked the architecture of the basic climate model which underpins all climate science.

He has found that, while the underlying physics of the model is correct, it had been applied incorrectly.

He has fixed two errors and the new corrected model finds the climate’s sensitivity to carbon dioxide (CO2) is much lower than was thought.

It turns out the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has over-estimated future global warming by as much as 10 times, he says.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/miranda-devine-perth-electrical-engineers-discovery-will-change-climate-change-debate/story-fnk0b1ks-1227555674611

• The latest IPCC AR actually increased the range of climate sensitivity to CO2 including the lower bound. This was wilfully misrepresented in the Summary for policy makers as increased certainty. Well I can make the statement that I am 100% certain that the sensitivity is between -10 deg C and +10 deg C. Such a statement indicates almost complete uncertainty about what the sensitivity actually is. By the same token, the IPCC actually expressed increased uncertainty for CO2 sensitivity compared to the previous ARs. If uncertainty increases with more data, the underlying theory is in serious trouble.

The increasing body of scientific work supporting lower CO2 sensitivity actually goes hand in hand with the pause/ hiatus that many alarmists seem so keen to deny.

• LOL! The NT news is part of Ruport Murdoch/Fox News -- a reliable source for denial of climate science. This article you linked misrepresents Evans's own research. Evans says we are not not warming, we are actually cooling and in fact he predicts an ice age by 2030.

• Here's what NOAA says about the "pause"

warming.pause.jpg
    900 x 683 - 281K
  • @brianl

Well, who knows how they get it. I prefer to set on local records that are much harder to tamper.

Btw, this is how Europe is investing new clean energy

http://about.bnef.com/presentations/clean-energy-investment-q3-2015-fact-pack/

zebra141.jpg
    800 x 540 - 77K
  • Another straw on the camel's back.

Warming ocean temperatures a third of a mile below the surface, in a dark ocean in areas with little marine life, might attract scant attention. But this is precisely the depth where frozen pockets of methane 'ice' transition from a dormant solid to a powerful greenhouse gas. Methane has contributed to sudden swings in Earth's climate in the past. It is unknown what role it might contribute to contemporary climate change, although recent studies have reported warming-related methane emissions in Arctic permafrost and off the Atlantic coast.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-10-plumes-washington-oregon-warmer-ocean.html#jCp http://phys.org/news/2015-10-plumes-washington-oregon-warmer-ocean.html

• @brianl

Proper way is to say

Methane MIGHT contributed to sudden swings in Earth's climate in the past.

• @Vitaliy I don't have enough intimate knowledge of climate science to agree or disagree. Phys.org is among the more reliable news services on the web. It's editors are reputable and esteemed. But it's still a news service not a journal.

Among most concerning passages is here, regarding ocean acidification.

But most of the deep-sea methane seems to get consumed during the journey up. Marine microbes convert the methane into carbon dioxide, producing lower-oxygen, more-acidic conditions in the deeper offshore water, which eventually wells up along the coast and surges into coastal waterways.

• @brianl

One thing I know is that all this guys understand very little and write that is expected to get their grant.

• I know marine biologists in the private sector that say exactly what scientists in the large institutions say regarding acidification. They are not chasing grant money.

• Oh No! We're all doomed!!

image002-3.gif
    495 x 313 - 25K