Personal View site logo
Tascam DR-70D, more and better
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • Don't blame that kind of hiss on Tascam.

• Well I'm returning it. Did the factory reset and now none of the inputs work and the head phone jack works intermittently. Now it won't except the Line input from the 302 also plugging the mic ins directly doesn't work either now. Looks like I got a bad one.

• Ok so double checked everything and confirmed that I can get a clean signal by inputting my ntg3 directly into Chanel 1 with out without dual record mode. Channel 2, 3, and 4 all have hiss even when bypassing the 302 and going directly into the recorder.

• Yes the newest firmware is installed, first thing I did when I took it out of the box was to upgrade it.

I called Tascam and they said it's probably because I I'm using a unapproved SD Card. Not sure how that works because the hiss is there before I even record. Right now I'm using a 16gb 90mbs PNY Card, but I should receive a "tested" SanDisk card this week sometime. They said if it's not the SD card then I should just return it.

Not sure if I should exchange for a new one or sell my SD 302 and use the extra money towards a Zoom F8. My original plan was to use the dr-70D for a few years till I could afford a better recorder like a F8 or 633. But I guess you get what you pay for. Just worried that my replacement will have issues too.

• @Chaos123x You definitely have the newest firmware installed? There were initial sound issues with the early firmwares. Since then, many (including myself) have noted drastic improvements, that have really put this recorder above a lot of the other options in this price range. Also, try a system reset.

• Tried turning off all the inputs and trying to use each input by itself. Still get the hiss. Used 2 different cables as well. Nothing fixes it but dual record mode. I'm thinking maybe 2 inputs are bad and when dual record mode is activated it switches the good ones to channel 1 and 2 and the bad ones to the backup channels 3 and 4 with the hiss. But when dual record mode is deactivated it defaults those bad inputs back to channel 1 and 2.

The clean audio I do get sound superb. I'm thinking I have a faulty unit or Tascam makes crap products or both. Not sure what to do.

• If it was the wire, why would it be fine when I put it in dual record mode? Also it makes the hiss when nothing is connected to it at all. No hiss in dual record mode...

• @Chaos123x Sounds like you have a wiring/cable issue.

•  I just got the DR-70D and it seems ok. 

I do have one big issue though. I'm using it with a Sound Devices 302 as a mixer/pre amp. If I have dual record mode on my primary tracks it sounds incredible no noise, but the secondary backup up tracks are loaded with noise and hiss.

It doesn't matter how -db they set at either -1 is as bad as -12 still the same hiss! But what's worse if I turn dual record mode off my primary tracks get filled with hiss and noise!!!!

No matter what I do if DON'T use dual record everything is recorded with lots of hiss straight on to the SD card of the DR-70D. But if I leave it on my backup tracks have the hiss which them pretty lousy backups, but my main tracks sound great. Is this a software problem? Or a hardware problem?

• Actually, I should have said that the 70D has 60% lower output not 40%. From the Tascam website specifications:

TASCAM DR-60DmkII

PHONES connector 3.5mm (1/8") stereo mini jack Maximum output level = 50mW + 50mW

TASCAM DR-70D

PHONES connector 3.5mm (1/8") stereo mini jack Maximum output level = 20mW + 20mW

TASCAM DR-680mkII

PHONES connector 3.5mm (1/8") stereo mini jack Maximum output level = 50mW + 50mW

• I was thinking of upgrading to the 70d from 60d, but after hearing that, I think I'll wait or step up to a higher price bracket. The 70d also does things via menu the 60d does by mechanical switches. That's important for me.

• It's in the specifications. I have the 70D and 60D, using the same headphones there is a significant difference in the output level. I'm using Sony MDR-7506 headphones, industry standard.

• @Cavemandude

It can also depend on your headphones. If they are not very sensitive and hard load - such thing can happen.

• One thing Tascam changed on the DR-70D compared the DR-60D is that they lowered the headphone output level by 40%. I had to add an external headphone amp to get the level back up to a reasonable level. What were they thinking, trying to conserve battery power?

• The latest 70d firmware resolved the noise issue into the gh4 for me or at least with the old firmware I got the noise with the new firmware I did not, obviously correlation != causality but that's what I observed for my personal experance.

Re. The rode wireless system and shotgun one interestin option is you can easily drop one of the rode video mics into the wireless transmitter rather than a lav so gives you some interesting additional possibilities for positioning. I've used the rode 3.5 to xlr converter fine into the 70d. Hopefully going to use the rode wireless, 70d and gh4 in anger this weekend for the first time, will be interesting

• I acknowledge this probably isn't the most useful post - but my GH4/DR70d noise issue has disappeared completely. The GH4 audio is now very clean with only a small amount of noise - i.e the expected noise floor of the device - the large amount of added white noise that I was experiencing before has gone.

The problem is I have no idea how I did this... I didn't change any settings/mics/cables/anything. It just stopped doing it.

Either way, it's led me to believe the noise issue lies with the GH4, not the 70d. I've also recently experienced the common audio buzz problem using other plug in mics so I decided to send it off for repair.

Back to the 70d - I have been using this for a few months now recording 40+ 3hour interviews and it hasn't dropped a beat. Fantastic device and great results. My only tips - avoid Transcend cards as they seem to give write errors (rainbow label), get a power pack for all day power (it eats batteries), use good quality cables, and update the firmware (especially using NTG2 - the mid gain level is essential).

• Is there a rule against remedial advice? I don't have an ASC card, can I still post here?

• @Alexauwa, The 70D is supposed to have much better preamplifiers which should cause less noise, also, the NTG2 is not meant to be very sensitive, which means that you are going to have to amplify the sound that comes from it quite a bit. People on the internet have often complained about the NTG2 + H4 combo being noisy.

Regarding the GH4 question, google around and you'll find out that there is an issue that causes noise when combined with the 70D (some argue it is a grounding issue).

Regarding the last question, you are asking for comparisons between a recorder (70D) and a wireless system that you will use with a lavalier microphone. These are not two items that you would usually compare because they perform very different functions. This gives the impression that you are at the very, very, very beginning of learning about sound capture and spacewig's advice is solid.

• You really should read a book/website (or watch a tutorial, if available) on microphone and audio recording fundamentals to help you develop a broader understanding of the equipment you would like to use.

• Also how would the 70D compare to the new Rodelink wireless kit when using a Rode NTG2? How will the in camera recording be?

• I only plan to record on the Rode NTG2 on the GH4. It the DR-70D worth buying over the ZoomH4 for example. I might not use more then two XLR micros.

Any experience how the recording straight into the GH4 performance?

• Here is a little sample with the very quiet BP4025, with downloadable FLAC at 24bit

No limiter, low gain. No changes, other than to lift by 7.5db in post (peaking was around -12 when recorded)

https://soundcloud.com/sage-pictures/tascam-0004s12-01

• @spacewig I don't see any real world noise reduction in the mods, but it probably doesn't make it worse. If your mic contributes 12dB and the room 15-20, you are way above the floor. I mean, you could record without a microphone, I suppose. On my 680 I just don't hear any noise using 10dB mics. Maybe I'm getting old.

@stauffec if you can do an AB I'm always interested!

• @stauffec

I've a modded 70d as of yesterday. Haven't had the chance to try it yet. Fwiw, the dslr is the weak link in that chain. You can record the real track internally in the 70d as a 24bit WAV, and send a back up signal to the dslr for syncing etc. The second most likely culprit in the chain is the mic, unless it is a particularly quiet type of mic. The stock 70d is quite good on the noise front, granted you don't use the limiter apparently.