Personal View site logo
"The End" - Patch for GH2 Hack
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • same patches now with frame limit adjusted for 24p intraframe in 120 and 144 versions:

qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_gt_es_ipp_30p_fl.zip
  • The last upload above has all updated tweaks.

Test the stability also, with camera movements in detailed scenes.

I believe these 120 and 144 patches will not work for the auto electronic features and native lenses in 24H, better to disable the features and use manual lenses with adapters.

Please report which lens are on tests and about stability.

The 120 versions can be good option if 144 becomes unstable due to very high datarate. Maybe the 120 version will have a good average bitrate and more stable than 144.

24L has lower datarate 96 if auto electronic features and native lenses are being used. The average bitrate being high can make the 24L 96 good to use with similar average bitrate of Moon.

The higher average bitrate is due to lower quantization in the matrix and lower second quantization (Qp).

120 version is: 5:1 compression in 24H, 6:1 compression in 24L

144 version is 4,15:1 compression in 24H, 6:1 compression in 24L

• @apefos I just finished recording test of the last settings on page2 before you update frame limit. Does frame limit affect image quality? I can do testing again later for stability once I narrow down choices for image quality.

• @Manicd No need to redo, the frame limit is just for better stability. I am waiting for you to say which version shows better image (or the advantages/disavantages of versions) to do final tweakings for stability.

Please do a careful look in NR3 vs NR4 in iso 320 and 2000. These two isos are the best to perceive noise texture differences in the versions. It seems NR3 or NR4 will be the good one... but if you like other version, please say.

• the end little grading test:

• qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_gt_es_ipp_30p_fl - climax stable:

• the patches below are very special ones. nr4 denoise fallback looks better to my eyes, it minimizes the horizontal strip lines in high iso without increasing quantization so much. main matrix also changed to calibrate the quantization for intraframe 24p and for hbr in the intraframe version. both hbr pal and ntsc working great. both 720p pal and ntsc working great. 24p 24H intraframe working around 4.6:1 ~ 5:1 compression ratio. 24L is around 6:1 compression ratio, good option for more stability. second quantization also tweaked for 120 version. 120 version is more stable than 144 and excellent quality. gop tables adjusted for all modes. this can be considered the new "high" version of "the end". now I consider there are two choices, this version for very high quality image and "the end nr4 stable" for using auto electronic features, both are here, and also the high gop3 version.

second upload is correct.

apefos_patches.zip
    apefos_the-end_stable_high_intra.zip
  • @apefos About page 2 patches.

I only tested full hd, hbr and 24h modes, PAL version. The main test was done outdoor, before 8 o'clock in the morning. At that time the objects are still filled with the darkness of the night, while the sun is bright. Dealing with such a great contrast is a difficult job for the little GH2.

GOP 1. HBR. Hbr never works properly at gop 1. The only exception was with The End NR1: hbr was almost ok. Unfortunately in The End1 24h-120 I had two “stop and go” shots.

DATARATE 144. What for? Working at datarates like 144 or 138 or 152 the camera stops. No matter which card, try to stress the camera, and it will freeze. But ok, very beautiful picture. Noisy, problematic, but beautiful.

GOP 1. DATARATE 120. 24H. This is interesting. Gop 3 at 104-96 or Gop 1 at 120?

Shooting at 24h, Gop 1 is a good option. The picture is excellent. If shooting carefully, Gop 1 gives back brilliant results.

GOP 3. Gop 3 is almost beautiful like Gop 1.

Useful in both hbr and 24h mode, it is less sharp and clear than Gop 1, proving to be more Stable&Safe.

TASTE I would choose Climax or Denouement/Epilog. The End is a less predictable patch. I also found that Catharsis works fine at Gop 3.

• @producer @RdC thanks for the tests, nice images!

@frullaccia thanks for careful tests. the patches on page 2 does not have correct gop tables. also quantization and matrices changed now. try the patches uploaded in post above: "apefos the end stable high intra" they are working ok for all recording modes including hbr, with best noise reduction I could find.

• @apefos Ok, I'll try them.

• THE END NR4 INTRA 120 seems to be the best thing I ever did. It is stable and very good quality in all recording modes. 720p60 SH is working ok with the 14-42mm kit lens with OIS enabled using manual exposure and manual focus with iDynamic disabled.

• I tested all 144 patches and your new NR4 patches. I can confirm END NR4 120 is very good. Better image than moon t8.

• Awesome. I'm installing the 120 now. Those results at ISO5000 from @producer are INSANE. I usually get terrible noise very easily. I'm also going to stick to the 3100k color and do some tests to see how the image comes out.

Have you found this hack and keeping those camera settings helps combat a cooked in image for doing some post work? I know the image falls apart pretty quickly using Moon in post work.

• short spot: fsh 50i, 400 iso, 8mm samyang + 50 mm nikon. bit rate: near 45mbps. color using curves.

• okay, i see a lot of apefos patches, even in other threads...i am a bit lost. I have Transcend Class 10 64GB card....so gurantieed write speed is 10MB/s.....that is 80Mbits.

Which patch do you recommend for HBR PAL user for below 80Mbits usage?

OT: now i see this is actually the old thread......admin, sry for double posting