Personal View site logo
Fotga DP3000 series matte boxes
  • 69 Replies sorted by
  • Does that height adjuster work with the swing away mechanism? In the pictures it looks like it might not. Yeah I'd go with the Fotga if I were doing it over again.

• My Schneider filters just arrived. Unfortunately, they are too thick for the Fotga filter trays. They're just barely able to fit in the Cinematics trays. Right now I'm using the Cinematics trays in the Fotga matte box so that I can use these filters, but they don't rotate more than 90 degrees (-45 to +45), and they sit in there kind of awkwardly. Now I'm wondering if there is a sort of universal filter tray? Something with a higher build quality, ideally metal?

edit @fotosiamo that means that no, Fotga filter trays won't take 4mm filters. Bummed.

• Thanks @Sangye.

I've heard that many of the Chinese-made filter trays, including the Fotga and TrusMT, can only hold filters that are 3mm, while the nicer glass filters are 4mm.

Ok, that's good to know. Do your Schneider filter rotate alright in the Cinematics?

• It is because in China all filters are 3mm :-)

• Lol. So you can't just buy a separate 4mm filter holder from another company and drop it into either the Fotga or Cinematics, then?

• So you can't just buy a separate 4mm filter holder from another company and drop it into either the Fotga or Cinematics, then?

It is simpler to buy 3mm filter. As Skier was in stock they worked ok with them as I remember.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev -- you're saying it's easier to sell your filter collection and switch to a relatively unknown Chinese brand (as good as they may be), rather than try to find a universal filter tray? What about filmmakers with a whole set of Schneiders? I only have 2 so it isn't a huge deal for me, but in my area the serious filmmakers have large collections of Tiffen or Schneider 4x4s. No one has even heard of Skier around here.

This might be a good application for 3D printing... although I'd trust aluminum more with $300 pieces of glass.

• No one has even heard of Skier around here.

In this case it is best to check topic about them.

• I've got one of the matte boxes (not the 'swing away' type) and also the rig.

However, I find that even when I put the riser plate on the highest setting my GH2 still sits too low in the matte box, even when the matte is on it's lowest setting - yes the lens fits in but very much 'off centre'.

Would anyone know if a longer riser plate (for the rail/plate mount)? It's the thing on the right in the photo.

download.jpg
    300 x 202 - 6K
  • I read about problems that some filter glasses such as tiffen might not fit into the brackets. That true? What about different nd faders?

• I read about problems that some filter glasses such as tiffen might not fit into the brackets. That true? What about different nd faders?

Most Chinese MBs are made for 3mm filters or such, but not all. I have no idea about thickness of each and every filter.

• Thank you. That's good to know.

• Skiers ones with 2.9mm shall fit then.

• Skier IRNDs will fit but it is very tight, you need to put some pressure on it.

• @Thx. Is there any good alternativ to fotga?

• Is there any good alternativ to fotga?

Not in this price range.

• Are these still the best for the price? I'm seeing some for $65 on ebay and that's an awesome deal.

Is it true we can replace the filter holder to hold 4mm filters?

• You mean other models?

As for deals, I need to update all terms and also add new models, Hope to do in few days.

PM me if you want some specific thing.