Personal View site logo
Collapse: Low Oil Prices

Energy prices stayed high longer than other prices, perhaps because they were in some sense more essential. But now, they have fallen as much as other prices. The fact that commodities tend to move together tends to hold over the longer term, suggesting that demand (driven by growth in debt, working age population, and other factors) underlies many commodity price trends simultaneously.

Another good article by Gail at http://ourfiniteworld.com/2015/09/29/low-oil-prices-why-worry/

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • So we need a new source of energy- which is compatible with our current systems- and that is almost free. (Possibly better if totally free).

Any ideas?

(Also has to be substitute not PV or wind etc)

Helium3 looks like good contender. Especially given the cheep work force that occurs when there is a depression. (Think 1930's) Workforce needed for building new reactors, better electric infrastructure.

But we have to remember that lifespan increased by 6 years on average during the Great Depression.

• Any ideas?

None

Helium3 looks like good contender.

All you need with Helium is to calculate cost of new infrastructure and cost of extraction. After this you can start seeking good tight rope and tree.

But we have to remember that lifespan increased by 6 years on average during the Great Depression.

And we need to remember that it coming thing has absolutely nothing to do with "Great Depression".

• I suppose that the idea of doing "noting" doesn't really sit well with me. And I suppose that we are in a predicament that there is no solution for.

However it kind of flys in face of logic to discuss apocalypse on internet formum without trying to think about "any" solutions.

Even post collapse solutions.

• Even medieval logic was better than this: "the end is coming repent". Now we just have: "the end it coming".

• I suppose that the idea of doing "noting" doesn't really sit well with me. And I suppose that we are in a predicament that there is no solution for.

I do not see where you see anything about "doing nothing" idea.

But it is good to understand that stability of current system is just horrible and people do not really know how it will feel with such unstable system, huge density with lack of local food and resources.

• First most important thing is shelter - then water, food is least important short term.

Research rule of 3's.

• Don't worry, it never get to this. We're running out of bullets to kill bacteria. It's going to wipe out lots of people and make energy supplies seem far more robust.

• We're running out of bullets to kill bacteria. It's going to wipe out lots of people and make energy supplies seem far more robust.

Nature has solution to this - one who is strong and adapt survives :-) bacteria gave us some summer vacation and it is time to go back to real life.

• First most important thing is shelter - then water, food is least important short term.

Most important thing is people who like you :-).

• I'm ready. We need a reset.

• I'm ready. We need a reset.

Ready to what?

I think if you do some time travel to 1400s and try to live as normal people lived you will change your opinion.

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev LOL

• For now Gail predictions are working good

zebra490.jpg
    800 x 428 - 58K
  • Oil prices separately

zebra491.jpg
    680 x 564 - 50K
  • There's way more oil than people say, but it is not infinite.

• There's way more oil than people say, but it is not infinite.

You mean that they hide it in their underpants?

The world’s leading oil producers are preparing for the possibility of oil prices halving to $20 a barrel after a second day of financial market turmoil saw a fresh slide in crude, the lowest iron ore prices in a decade, and losses on global stock markets.