Personal View site logo
Sony A7s II 4K low light beast topic
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • Sony Announces Addition of Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW Still Image Capture for New α Cameras

Sony Electronics, a worldwide leader in digital imaging and the world’s largest image sensor manufacturer, has today announced user selectable Compressed and Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW image capture will be featured in the new α7S II once it arrives in stores this October.

Additionally, they have announced plans to add user selectable compressed or uncompressed 14-Bit RAW still image capture via firmware update to additional cameras beginning with the recently introduced α7R II full-frame mirrorless model.

“The voice of our α community remains the most important guiding force of our product development plans,” said Neal Manowitz, Deputy Vice President for Digital Imaging at Sony Electronics. “The addition of Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW processing is a direct result of customer feedback. Widely requested by photo and video enthusiasts, we believe the choice of RAW processing types will further elevate the performance of these extraordinary cameras.”

The α7S II and α7R II are compatible with Sony’s growing lineup of α -mount lenses, which now totals 63 different models including 12 native ‘FE’ full frame lenses. By early 2016, Sony will add an additional 8 new lenses to its FE full frame lineup, bringing the FE total to 20 lenses and the overall α -mount assortment to over 70 different models.

• The A7sII has a different body that is supposed to dissipate heat better, thus allowing internal 4k and 1080P120 recording. Question might be whether it will last 29 minutes when recording 4k internally in the Sun?

How much body is different to A7r II?

• No DCI Cinema 4k (4096x2160). Am I the only one that uses this?

• " Vitally, One thing I want to see is how fast all the A7r II proponents in video related part of the spectrum (and this was for camera that overheat during any long video shooting!) will move to prizing A7s II only."

My A7s got really hot only once. I typically record Video externally for over 3 hours. I do leave the LCD on but of course there is less processing done without internal recording.

The A7sII has a different body that is supposed to dissipate heat better, thus allowing internal 4k and 1080P120 recording. Question might be whether it will last 29 minutes when recording 4k internally in the Sun?

• Does it overheat like A7r II?

• ok, seems like you can't have it all (yet): the a7rII and a7sII are two such different types of cameras I was thinking of waiting for the a7sII but always wanted to have a high MP camera so I think I am going for the a7rII to use it as photo and video camera and will have to deal with the issues (overheating, low battery life, rolling shutter, moiree...). The Sony A7sII would be the perfect video camera though for me if it wouldn't have the 29 minute limitation and longer battery life but I can only assume that besides the 29 minute limitation it will still suffer from overheating and when I buy a camera for the sheer purpose of making videos...well...I can't deal with these drawbacks then

• I think Sony did interesting decisions. A hurry up release so people can decide fast between A7RII or A7Sii instead of keep waiting. It seems this sensor is the same from A7S ? No BSI ? If so, the A7S 3 will have the BSI for people wants to upgrade and also 4K 10bit to be full compatible with Blu-Ray 4K. If you have S35 lenses go for the A7RII, if you have FF lenses go for the A7SII, no S35 in A7SII makes sense because the S35 area does not have enough pixels for 4K. But it could do 1080p, if not 1080p in S35 crop this seems to be marketing decisions...

• Shame there's still a 30 min limit.

• 400 for V-Log.

• I dont understand. For record interior to that ISO you can need ND filter. And with the GH4?

• 3200 for S-Log 2, 1600 for S-Log 3.

• The S-Log work to ISO 3,200 with A7S, what ISO need A7SII?

• @RRRoger

One thing I want to see is how fast all the A7r II proponents in video related part of the spectrum (and this was for camera that overheat during any long video shooting!) will move to prizing A7s II only.

• I just ordered an A7sII.

Now, what to do with that old obsolete A7s beast? Perhaps I will include a half dozen batteries and that old 24-70 lens I have only used twice and sell it on Graig's list.

• Good thing to understand that current generation of cameras is transitional, as real new 4K generation will feature 10bit HEVC or similar codec (legal encoder issues are severe now), all this at 50 and 60 fps. Top video oriented cameras will all feature raw recording (same as latest DJI).

I expect prices on A7r II and A7s II to set record on falling in the industry in next 1,5 years.

• @Renovatio
    It is not clear from the video. The problem with electronically-controlled producs is that Marketing tells you what the range of various settings are in isolation, without ever mentioning the cross-effects likes in "sure we can do 5.5 frames/sec" but then you discover that it can do this only with fixed ISO of 200 or without auto-focus...

On needs to wait 3 months after general availability and read comments by early-adaptors to flesh out all the limitations before committing.

• Sorry, can get the last part. Means in video mode iso start from 600?

• 3400€ for 5fps, contrast AF, no touch screen, old 12MPx senzor????? WTF, Sony???

• AlbertZ, I agree this should be the big headline feature for this camera!! But I fear its 8bit can't cope with the aggressive s log 3

• @monowav Internal, yep. HDMI out is 8 bit 422.

• Is the video in 8bit 420?

• But SLog3 and SGamut3? Finally! SLog2 is a PITA to grade.

• Yeah Sounds amazing!! But I will wait and see what the Rolling shutter is like along with the battery life...and heating!!!