Personal View site logo
Nebula 4000 lite, mini gimbal for GH4, A7s
  • this looks interesting http://shop.chdntech.com/nebula/nebula4000-lite-gyroscope-gimbal-stabilizer-bmpcc-gh4-nex-eos-m-a7s.html

very little information, specs but at that price and with Paypal I'm tempted to try one out.

• 218 Replies sorted by
  • "The price point of this device means that it becomes more readily available to consumers with little or no experience. This also means that you will get a raft of inexperienced footage shown to the masses.

I think the device is more than capable in the right hands"

I totally agree! @Sph1nxster

• Great thread so far. Two questions remain:

• What lens would you recommend for usage on the Nebula 4000 with a GH4? Which wide-angle would you pick? Olympus 12mm 2.0 or SlrMagic 12mm 1.6?

• Can the Nebula mimic crane movements, when it is used on a boom pole?

Can you help me figuring this out?

Best regards VisualLifeLine

• @vstardust I think that's going to be way to heavy / front heavy of a combination. I have the much lighter 28-70mm kit lens and it barely makes it on the Nebula. Even though the suggested weight limit is 1kg I would say that 800g is closer to the max viable level as well as having a pretty centralised center of gravity.

• Has anyone tried Nebula 4000 Lite with A7s and 24-240mm combo? Is it too heavy to stabilize properly?

• Just wanted to share my thoughts on using the Nebula 4000 Lite for the past 3 weeks on a documentary trip to South East Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam). Here's a music video I created for my brother's band while visiting the temple of Angkor Wat.

Overall, I really love this tool, and it worked great with the GH4 and G6 (the lighter G6 was easier to setup, but wasn't as stable as the heavier GH4 with the Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 lens) without needing to change the original PID settings. The main thing is that I wished there was some way to attach the protuding motor arm to the main body as you walk between shooting locations. Also the glue on the grip for the camera attachment base will wear off quickly in places where there is a lot of heat and humidity. Also, it is not tool-less as everyone knows but I rarely changed the settings once set for the camera I wanted to use (mostly GH4), and I could swap lenses quickly but just re-adjusting the camera forward / backward / left / right. I mostly used the panasonic 12-35 2.8, 20mm 1.7 pancake & 9 - 18mm Olympus lenses on it, and it was all quite easily adjusted on the fly in a couple minutes once you have set it up for the GH4. I stabilized some of the shots in post (a couple shots didn't stabilized that well but that's fine). Overall, I really like this tool and obviously we all know the pet peeves around it... but it's a great lightweight addition to a filmmaker's tool kit. I'm currently using it for doc, events and personal projects and find it to be an amazing product for the price, especially when you don't want to haul a big stabilizer with you. The battery last for about 1 to 1.5 hour of continuous shot. I was able to use it on and off for 3 hours at a time, and then attached their longer lasting additional battery whenever I ran out on the built-in battery, which gave me about 2.5hours of additional shooting time. I haven't had the time to play with the PID settings and frankly don't need it for my purposes. Hopefully there will be improved versions of this Nebula Lite by that company or others. Enjoy!

• Just took my new Nebula 400 for a walk in the park. Actually it works pretty well with the pocket, but it needs still some tweaking in the software profiles, and some more practicing how to walk - it's still a bit bobbing. Also the pans need more attention - but overall I'm pretty happy.

• same thought here, it gets the job done, I had a shoot in LA in feb from Australia and ordered one to be delivered there. I wouldn't have gotten any of the shots I got without it because of travel constraints. Id say stability wise its 75% compared to its bigger counterparts but you get the shots because of its size and thats all that matters to me =)

• Just checked in -- saw this thread. I can report that my unit still works fine -- used it on a shoot yesterday.

Bought my unit in December and have used it since. If it breaks down I'll report it.

My reaction is what I said in my video. It's nothing magical -- but -- if you use it properly -- yes, it's a kind of substitute for a real camera stabilizer. You need wide angle lenses (and/or equivalents) and fast frame rates to make this gizmo work -- exactly the same as you would with an (US) $18,000 Steadicam rig.

• I think this sturdyflight is the most promising of all the single handle gimbals, the walking motion seems smoother. Need to hear some feedback from folk actually using it

• @ReflexFilms Thanks! I used here GH4 on Nebula 4000 90% of screen time, max ISO 1600, with AF-C autofocus on Olympus primes 12mm 2.0, 25mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8, little Sigma 60 2.8 and Lumix 7-14mm. For upper shots like cran it was GH2 with Samyang 7.5mm 3.5 with mini LED light on it, it makes also great ambient light for second camera on Nebula (I shoot simultaneously two cameras on myself about one hour or more at party time). Super slow motion shots - Nokton 25mm 0.95.

Some shots with Nebula are jerky, but not too much about 5%, overall I get more great shots with Nebula at the end of the day than with Ronin, because I can shoot non stop and don't feel tired. These jerky 5% I can polish with stabilization plug-in like Mercally ( but Mercally not good to stabilize close up's). At this clip no more than 2-3 stabilized at post shots. Hyperlapse (w/o stabilization at post) shot with Lumix 7-14mm f/4.0 lens at P mode, at night time it was very slow shutter speed, that OK to get some motion blur.

Very little shots made with slider, and some shots just "slider style" made with Nebula. It has not modified 8bit alexmos. I didn't tried newer Pilotfly 32bit, so I can't compare. I'm very happy with light one-hand gimbal, after more than ten projects with Ronin. Nebula4000 is really great to work at crowds.

About robotic shifts: I learned that lowering pan and tilt speed at profile 1 at Nebula to number "4" makes all moving more natural. I keep tuning Nebula after watching edited footage ( Nebula's engineers can't know what you prefer, but you know). That's not my last project, I made little changes after that work.

• at ACT : That wedding video was great for energy and sound and lighting / exposure. Low light was great - GH4, A7 or or something else?

The gimbal shots were a bit jerky though - are you happy with it? It seems to add robotic frame shifts rather than organic looking flight motion. Especially on the hyperlapses - which is perhaps to be expected with the fas speed revealing drift as it does.

Were the dolly shots done off a slider or was that handheld with the gimbal?

Perhaps there are some settings that allow you to add ease in ease out for direction changes - or is this a 16 bit vs 32 bit controller issue?

I'd love to know your thoughts after using the Nebula and editing the footage as i am considering buying one of these for my GH4. I shoot a lot of events and an easy low profile gimbal would be awesome. Walikng around with an attention attracting double handled chest buster doesnt really appeal to me - especially as i work in crowds. The nebula design just seems to make a lot of sense.

Just to make my point clear though - at the end of the day though the video was great and i am sure the clients are super stoked.

• does anyone know if this can fly a Samsung NX1?

• Would anyone know if the Anker 20000 mAh 12v battery work with the Nebula 4000? Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/20000mAh-Aluminum-Portable-Multi-Voltage-Technology/dp/B005NGLTZQ

• Small commercial for Herbalife Nutrition for the 24 Hour Athlete. Made with Nebula 4000 Olympus 12mm 2.0, Olympus 9mm 8.0 Fisheye, Olympus 25 1.8, Olympus 45 1.8, Lumix 7-14mm 4.0, Kowa 8mm 1.4

• The Nebula 4000 Lite surprised me in almost every way. Just like working with any Steadicam or stabilizer, it does require some practice and time to get the most out of it, but it's definitely worth it. For me personally this is the kind of electronic stabilizer I've been waiting for. Lightweight, single handed operation, simple to use, great results and affordable. Although it doesn't make Steadicams obsolete, it's coming dangerously close and is a real game changer. So should you buy it? Well, let me put it this way. I wish I already had this device years ago while working on different productions. It would have saved me lots of time and many troubles! But for now, I need to be thankful for being able to work with it from now on forward.

http://derrannl.blogspot.ru/2015/04/review-nebula-4000-lite-3-axis.html