Personal View site logo
DJI Phantom 3
  • 73 Replies sorted by
  • Mine arrived Monday. Maiden flight went fine. I locked on to 15 or 16 satellites and the drone's static hover footprint was literally just a few inches. The gimbal seems incredibly stable. The main issues are vague instructions in the manual and what seems to be some disabled features in the app for certain Android devices.

• Update (for anyone considering this drone) - The full list of features are functional on Nexus 7 II. The aircraft performed flawlessly on a couple test flights last night taking a combination of video and stills. The gimbal stabilization is absolutely fantastic. I did not experience any jello in low wind without ND filters. Here are a couple of stills that were pushed around in LR -

DJI_0010-3 DJI_0003-2

• Wow quality out of that camera looks great. Looks like gopro has some serious competition to this.

• @rumi The raw stills are decent considering the sensor size. I've noticed a few stuck pixels when zooming in on the images, so I think DJI still has further to go developing LR support to scrub out the stuck or dead pixels. They can probably accomplish that in a firmware update but even if they don't I can still live with it.

Also, the video Log files grade very nicely. It's not ultra-flat like some other Log modes out there, so I've been using Filmconvert with the GH4 Cine-D profile as a starting point. I'll post a video of some clips soon.

I still can't get over the stability of this gimbal. There have been reports of operators being able to shoot up to 8 sec exposures without any noticeable image blur. This thing is literally a tripod in the sky just like the Inspire 1 boasted.

IMO, GoPro should start thinking about a larger sensor, non-fisheye camera for their rumored drones if they want to have any impact on this market and attract serious filmmakers. My guess is that they'll instead focus on "follow-me" type features for the wannabe "hero" market and accommodate their existing camera form factor.

• My theory is that the 3DR SOLO is the first GoPro "brand" Drone.

• @bannedindv You may very well be right. I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly different looking "GoPro branded" drone bundled together with a Hero4. 3DR gains GoPro marketing behemoth able to push a lot of OEM product volume while GoPro also gets to avoid the need to tool their own factories and develop a broader support system. Will they eventually ditch the fisheye in a new drone-specific camera model? I hope so.

Here are some clips from the P3X downrezzed from UHD to HD. Keep in mind my experience flying drones was exactly zero prior to this acquisition. I'm also still waiting on the availability of ND filters, so motion blur had to be induced in post which has slightly altered the image. No post-stabilization was used in the edit.

• DJI has cornered the consumer drone market by making its products accessible and easy to use. Despite the "Professional" name, the Phantom 3 is a 4K video drone that's perfect for the masses. Hobbyist video makers and amateur fliers have an easy choice in the Phantom 3, but we'd love to see it get a facelift and some smarter features.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/26/dji-phantom-3-review/

• Still diggin' this little machine -

• DJI Phantom 3 standard introduced

PR

DJI, the global leader in innovative aerial robotics, today released the most accessible flying camera (‘drone’) the company has ever created.

Designed specifically for first-time pilots, the DJI Phantom 3 Standard brings DJI’s signature attention to stability, flight, and imaging to make capturing aerial images easier than ever before.

“Based on the remarkable success of the DJI Phantom 3 Professional and Phantom 3 Advanced, we wanted to create a new drone that addresses people who are curious about aerial imaging, but not quite ready to commit to a more professional system,” said Frank Wang, DJI’s CEO and Founder. “The Phantom 3 Standard makes it easy to get into the air to take great photos and videos.”

With a newly designed and integrated camera, the DJI Phantom 3 Standard records up to 2.7k HD video at 30 frames per second using a high-quality 94 degree distortion-free lens. The camera also shoots still images at 12 megapixels in both DNG Raw and JPG formats. Using a standard WiFi connection, the DJI Phantom 3 Standard allows pilots to see what their camera sees in near real time in HD, capture photos, start / stop record for video and adjust camera settings all from the updated DJI Go app.

The remote controller is an updated version of DJI’s previous Phantom 2 Vision+ controller, with an integrated WiFi range extender and wheel to angle the camera. Based on the Phantom 3 design, the new DJI Phantom 3 Standard includes GPS-based stabilization and flight times up to 25 minutes using DJI’s interchangeable Intelligent Flight Batteries for the Phantom 3 series.

The DJI Phantom 3 Standard will be compatible with intelligent flight features including Follow Me, Waypoint Navigation and Point of Interest flight planning.

Follow Me – The drone intelligently follows the user based on their orientation.

Waypoint Navigation – Allows users to set a multi-point route that the Phantom 3 flies automatically while leaving camera control (pan and tilt) to the user. Users simply have to pull back on their controller and the Phantom will retrace its path to the beginning. Point of Interest – Lets users define an object that the Phantom will fly around in a circle with the object framed perfectly in the center – capturing a cinematic shot that is otherwise difficult to fly manually.

These intelligent features, originally released for DJI’s professional products, will be available through a firmware upgrade for the rest of the DJI Phantom 3 series and the DJI Inspire 1 in coming weeks. They are also available through SDK apps already developed by third party DJI developers.

The DJI Phantom 3 Standard is available for purchase at US$799* via DJI.com and is scheduled to begin shipping before the end of the week.

• that's pretty friggin' amazin' ! better grab one of these up before they're outlawed !

• This really does look like a great bit of kit. The relentless lifestyle bullshit in their promos gets a bit wearing though

• P.s. Any sign of ND filters for the phantom camera?

• @mrbill u have google y dont u use it…??????? lol…. http://polarprofilters.com/shop/DJI-Phantom-3-Filter

• I've switched from PolarPro to Taco RC filters, which are even lighter and do not require balancing on the gimbal (better threads too) - http://taco-rc.com/phantom-3-accessories/

• Is it 60mbps compression for the DJI Phantom 3 Standard at 2.7K and 30 fps ?

EDIT :- 40 mbps Stupid of DJi 60 mbps would have matched GoPro in 2.7K mode.

• @Tron - excellent link, thanks

• I stitched 3 photos together to make this panorama. Phantom 3 professional

1SKonKz.jpg
    2048 x 794 - 567K
  • DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Quadcopter Drone with 1080p HD Video Camera+$150 Visa GC for $999 at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-3-Advanced-Quadcopter-Drone-with-1080p-HD-Video-Camera-150-Visa-GC/321837897699