Personal View site logo
Australia's renewable energy investment stops
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • Actually, in No Impact Man, Colin Beavan recommends NO CARS. Not a shift to electric cars. Electric cars still strain the environment and don't solve traffic problems. It's way too radical and may never happen. But basically he's advocating extremely efficient and comfortable public transportation that people would actually want. Where is the fun in driving anyway? Is it actually an enjoyable experience stopping at red lights every 10 minutes? Not to mention all the traffic-related deaths.

Imagine going to work this way instead of sitting in traffic. Taking a tram with leather reclining seats, gourmet food on board, individual 4K monitors for viewing internet or films streamed from Netflix, enough room to operate your laptop comfortably, a full recliner that allows you to sleep an extra hour on your way to work. Driving a car in traffic is better, right? Even if you don't give a rat's ass about the environment, you can't argue that there's a far better way to get people around cities than what we currently have. And with all the space saved by taking cars off the roads, there would be more space for actual green space, parks...

Cars can be reserved for race tracks. We can to to racetracks or specially designed areas for driving on weekends and rent a Porsche 911 and drive it around the track for a couple of hours.

• Those are cool little cars! Want want want!!!

• @brianl

You'll be shocked to know how much electrical transport (not cars only) Chinese make (and how many are used inside China) :-)

• I actually love bikes for their simplicity. Still, for $900

• @brianl

Well, except for designers look (and big flat thing that is very bad for strong wind, especially that it is rear wheel only) it has very little actual difference to cheap wheel kit and battery that you install on bottle cage place.

• @Vitaliy I just cannot get excited about the concept. A person can't pedal up a hill? If you don't like pedaling buy a Ducatti.

• I just cannot get excited about the concept. A person can't pedal up a hill? If you don't like pedaling buy a Ducatti.

LOL. I think you never used bike for long rides in real life (not for sport or fun). Many people in the world use bike to travel to work, shop or such.

Electric bikes are popular as people at work do not like if you smell not so good after going up 3 big hills (and most workplaces do not have showers) :-)

• people at work do not like if you smell not so good after going up 3 big hills (and most workplaces do not have showers)

HA HA! True! I never thought of that. But maybe what we need is shower stalls at every street corner. Bikes are beautiful. The designs of bikes are more innovative than (most) cars, apart from maybe the high-end sports cars. Get to Vietnam before everyone trades their bike in for a car....soon.

• Another Chinese electric car

• Before my mum passed away, she had a mobility scooter. I had a load of fun 'testing' it for her.

• London, UK is an example of a city that would truly benefit from a policy of only cars and electric cars on many of the streets. I know it's a dream, but so many streets are not suitable for anything larger. It would take a massive shift in attitude of our Gov and Boris. The benefits would be huge.

• @wordsofpeace

Capitalism has limits on systems it can do. For example it can not do such things (it can only close center of the cities and make huge parking prices and fines).

• Leonardo DaVinci invented a self-propelled car.

http://www.livescience.com/11329-leonardo-da-vinci-10-ideas.html

It's no Ferrari, but Da Vinci's designs for a self-propelled vehicle were revolutionary for his day. His wooden "car" moved by the interaction of springs with geared wheels. Scientists at one museum in Florence built a replica in 2004 and found it worked as Da Vinci intended.

Also he had a vision of an ideal city built on 2 levels, so maybe this can be looked at by city planners to solve many of the shortcomings cities face?

• @babypanda

Most DaVinci stuff is like bible (you need to believe in it), not like science. Unfortunately.

People believe in almost everything, reading internet. And lots of people made it their business.

We do not actually know if it was revolutionary and if someone else made any such drawings of ideas. We do not know it.