Personal View site logo
Sony a6000 topic
  • 318 Replies sorted by
  • I thought that Rocky Mountains Movie Converter would be able to convert mts files, but apparently not. Shame. 5dtorgb screws up the luminance ranges. Whats a good free alternative that could give me a good prores conversion?

• On Mac you can use ClipWrap http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap, but it's not free. I've used it with my Sony Hx9v that use that kind of video container, but with my a5100 (sister of the a6000) I've never used it again: now I can import directly into FCPX, Resolve or Premiere without issues.

• Hm, Im on PC so that may not help.

I've used it with my Sony Hx9v that use that kind of video container, but with my a5100 (sister of the a6000) I've never used it again: now I can import directly into FCPX, Resolve or Premiere without issues.

This seems a little contradictory... what do you mean you never used it again but can import directly to resolve? Is there a resolve update which accepts MTS or something?

• http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140212_2-SonyA7-RawDigger-posterization.html

As discussed in some detail in the review of the Sony A7R, the Sony A7 and A7R and other Sony cameras all use an 11 + 7-bit lossy compression scheme: 11-bit range with 7-bit delta values from 14-bit pipeline (8 bits per pixel in effect). Compare that to a Nikon 14-bit lossless image file. There is a difference, and I am certain it explains some of the not-so-great pixel quality I’ve seen in field images (in localized areas, not in totality), but it has been hard to pin down.

I know that in most cases this is not much of a problem, but still annoying that its not at least just standard 12 bit raw.

• This seems a little contradictory... what do you mean you never used it again but can im import directly to resolve? Is there a resolve update which accepts MTS or something?

With the a5100 I always use the Xavc s format for video. The Mts was used by the Hx9v.

• Oh I see, sorry for the confusion.

• The bodycap is very loose on my a6000, is this the case with all of them? Im wondering if I should get another one that might fit tighter.

• This camera (and A5100) its very awesome.

• Does the high iso noise reduction menu setting only apply to jpgs, or does it also apply to videos? Shame there arent individual NR settings for the profiles like so many other cameras.

EDIT: Sony support confirmed that noise reduction settings do not apply to video. I assume it defaults to "ON"? Shame. Really wish I had known this before purchasing. Are all sony cameras like this? All of the grain detail is just smeared away, med/high iso detail is softer than my GH3. Unbelievable. I dont understand that choice of configuration at all.

Also, is there a screen/viewfinder setting for turning on/off the shutter speed preview like the GH cameras have?

• Im getting some weird ghosting on high iso video in a dark enviroment. Very weird artifacts when moving slightly, terrible when panning. Gets worse as you go up in iso. Whats that about?

• One good thing Ive seen so far is the highlight recovery is pretty awesome for an 8 bit codec.

HLRecoveryBefore.jpg
    1757 x 664 - 131K
    HLRecoveryAfter.jpg
    1749 x 664 - 196K
  • Some serious issues with Sony mirrorless cameras and the a6000 in particular that have been reported on the Sony community forums. No response yet from Sony on these issues.

A7/A7S/A7R (possibly APS-c models as well which use similar image processing) - Image processing is eating stars in in-camera noise reduction in bulb mode - moved to A7 thread.

a6000 - EVF/Wifi/NFC draining power even when camera is off.
    http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/Solution-to-Sony-A6000-battery-drain-even-turned-off/m-p/512298 http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/Battery-power-on-my-Sony-A6000-camera-drops-even-when-off/td-p/449422/page/3

I have had my A6000 for a month and noticed battery drain even when powered off from 100% to 85% in less than 12 hours. I tried airplane mode to shutdown wifi and though this help reduce the power drain by about 5% it did not eliminate it. Then I read a post by a fellow with the same problem who also owned an A5000. He experimented with swapping batteries but the A6000 still drained to 85%. The A5000 did not. The main difference between these two models is that the A6000 has the EVF eyepiece. It appears that the EVF proximity sensor will drain battery power even when the camera itself is powered off. I isolated the camera so nothing was near the sensor and overnight drain was reduced. My next step was to switch from auto to monitor only setting in FINDER/MONItOR before power off. IT WORKED. 0% BATTERY DRAIN OVERNIGHT WITH POWER SWITCHED OFF. Summary: To conserve battery, (1) leave the camera with airplane mode on unless you need wifi and (2) before switch the power off set FINDER/MONItOR from auto to moniter only to turn off the EVF proximity switch. Please fix these in firmware if possible Sony. Clearly neither of these features needs to remain active draining battery power if the a 6000 camera is powered off . It would make this amazing camera even better.
  • @joethepro

First do not related to this topic at all. And is not serious issue.

Second does not seem like serious issue at all (just some firmware logic glitches).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev The first is not a serious issue to you because you apparently do not do bulb astrophotography. To those that do that type of photography it is a massive issue if over half of the stars in your shot are removed by over-zealous image processing, and some of the ones that are left have dark spots in the center. How can you say that is not an issue with a straight face? But you are correct that it does not directly name the a6000, Ill move it.

Second is huge problem. I dont understand your logic. Ive seen this on my a6000 as well, where the batery level drops massively overnight while it is off. This is terrible, and while it could be fixed with new firmware, it shouldnt have been an issue in the first place, and should not have lasted this long without any resolution.

• Are there any electronic Sony A to Sony E mount adapters that allow all electronic capabilities of the lens to remain functional?

Also I was a bit too harsh about the video noise reduction earlier. It doesnt become intrusive in the shadows until around 2500 iso or so. There is alot of shadow detail in the lower ISOs.

• @joethepro I believe the adapter you're describing is the sony LA-EA series of adapters.

• That Sigma is for Sony APSC (AXXXX) or full frame?

• Sony really dropped the ball by not having a standard 2.8 zoom for the E mount. Doesnt make sense to me. Other manufacturers dont even have them!

Found a smart EOS to E adapter sold on RJ's ebay store. Looks promising as it maintains all electronic functions. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-auto-Aperture-Canon-EF-EOS-lens-to-SONY-E-NEX5-NEX-7-FS700-VG-adapter-/200822676987

Here is another much cheaper one - EOS to E http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOTGA-AF-Electronic-Lens-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-EF-EF-S-lens-to-Sony-NEX-E-mount-/171708608424?hash=item27faa16fa8

• Does the exposure meter on the a6000 not respond in certain configurations? I need to investigate more, but it seems like it just doesnt show the current exposure value most of the time. I remember seeing it in some cases, like video mode with manual ISO, but even in the viewfinder it just shows the -5 to +5 increments but not indication of where the current exposure is.