Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX8 camera official topic
  • 265 Replies sorted by
  • The Giulio Sciorio samples look like JPG direct from camera. I think the great difference respecto to the GX7 would be in low light and video, I dont see nothing in these samples that I cant do with my GX7.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I only mentioned the 12Mp sensor due to the off chance the system diverges with the GX becoming the top photo cam (featuring 20Mp+ sensor) and the GH maintaining top spot for video with emphasis on proper crop size for 4K and superior low light performance. I doubt they will go that route as the GH has traditionally maintained a slight edge in both photos and video. More likely than not they will just oversample from the 16Mp or 20Mp sensor and then downscale to 4K (hopefully at near 2x crop).

On a separate note, it's nice to see available ISO coming in at 100 on the GX8. I hope this will also be available in video mode and not considered to be "extended." Perhaps @driftwood can verify?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev yes I wonder if anyone has confirmed it has the ability to record longer than 30m in avchd and span etc

• Does the NTSC GX8 have a 30m recording limit in 1080p?

Modern Panasonic bodies have limits in all regions, sometimes except AVCHD.

• Does the NTSC GX8 have a 30m recording limit in 1080p?

• @DrDave @driftwood: Of course it's easy to downscale 4k recordings for 1080p output, but you don't get any useful 1080p recordings at the higher frame rates that are supported only in 1080p but not in 4k.

• In this 'comparative' says output HDMI dont work while recording.

• @karl Totally agree that 28mbps is cheesy, but the fact is you can just dump the 4K footy into premiere and render out 1080p and it will look awesome, so I can't see that 1080p with a higher rate would be better....unless you want to upload an unedited clip, of course.

• grab something like 'EditReady' to create 1080p quicktime prores .mov files from the 4k files as you copy over from sdcard. No brainer.

• Sad they keep putting in this insane "1080p at 28MBit/s, only" limit. So (without a hack) it's basically a "4k @ 24fps only " camera, if you don't like compression artefact mush.

• revert to a 12Mp sensor to get back to a 2x crop.

As far as I understand it is Sony who decide that sensors to make and that one to provide to Panasonic now, or something like it.

Most probably next year we will see staggering difference (considering video) between Sony and Samsung cameras and rest of the pack.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev GH3 has 2x crop in video, right? GH4 has 2.3x or whatever, now GX8 has ~2.5x crop.

From page 2:

Thanks ... - so effectively 2.5x [crop] in 35mm equivalent. That's moving in the wrong direction IMO. The GH5 will need to either oversample and downscale to 4K, or revert to a 12Mp sensor to get back to a 2x crop.
  • I wonder why they increased the crop? Why not just keep the standard MFT 2x crop?

Huh, it records 4K using 1:1, no rescale. Even 16mp sensors have larger crop than 2x. And here it is higher res.

• I wonder why they increased the crop? Why not just keep the standard MFT 2x crop?

• @Manu4Vendetta Yeah, usual profiles, but maybe its not so weird that Cinelike D seems improved with the new sensor!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Next iterations will have 10 bit HEVC video and at 60fps. But companies need money now"

@NickBen Now that sounds like a nice camera that serves my desires for 2016...

Id much rather see 4:2:2 8bit than 4:2:0 10bit. I really hope they dont maintain 4:2:0 in the next generations....

• I doubt the GH5 will come in at $2K, too much competition from Samsung and Sony these days... my guess is that it will hold firm around the $1,499.00 price point.

Camera prices are now mostly dependent on the cost of department existence and cost of development. As sales fall they need to increase prices.

• @NickBen I doubt the GH5 will come in at $2K, too much competition from Samsung and Sony these days... my guess is that it will hold firm around the $1,499.00 price point. The GX8 will probably drop to $999.00 a few months after release (which is a great deal, IMO).

• The GX8 can record UHD 4K (3840×2160 / 16:9) video at 25p/24p and at data rates of up to 100mpbs with HD at 28mbps. The GX8’s UHD 4K is captured without scaling to reduce artefacts, the downside being that it comes with an increased crop factor as the active sensor area is smaller than when taking photographs.

The GX8 also comes with full manual exposure control, adjustable audio levels and adjustable luminance levels. There is also a 2.5mm jack for use with an external microphone (a nice improvement but I was hoping for a 3.5mm jack!) but no headphone jack. According to the specs I have read, the GX8 also has a clean HDMI output which will output in 4:2:2 8 bit but I haven’t managed to test this yet.

The GX8 also has the additional features such as zebras, peaking and cinelike gammas that make it a much more powerful film tool. The Cinelike D and V profiles allow you to shoot ‘flat’ and can help with grading and footage matching at a later stage. A small downside to the GX8 is it’s 29:59 limit of filming, this is a common feature on hybrid photo/video cameras (mainly for tax purposes) but a GH4 like system where multiple files are created would have been a nice addition.

http://jacobjamesphotography.co.uk/gear-review/panasonic-gx8-review/