Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX8 camera official topic
  • 265 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood thanks! was crossing my fingers and hoped to see a vlog profile. lol. looking good man.

• @zigizigi, I know what you mean. With Olympus you can use S-AF before AND during recording when in manual focus mode. With Panasonic you can only use autofocus before starting to record (when in manual focus mode). You can adjust focus manually in S-AF mode, but you need to hold down a button and you lose focus assists like peaking. Not great in my opinion. Sometimes the S-AF is useful in manual mode just to get focus back on track on quick moving subjects (run-and-gun or my kids!)

• Panasonic GX8 and FZ300 press kit (around 510Mb) http://we.tl/uItPugkjew

• Bummer about IBIS for video - unfortunately no buy for me. Apart from that the cam seems awesome:)

• @driftwood

Thanks for reply, perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I mean with other Pana cameras with AF/AE lock set to HOLD you can only lock exposure just once before hitting rec in P,A,S modes. Once you release locked exposure while recording - you cannot reuse this button any longer. On any other brand you can use it as many times as you wish during recording. Has this behavior changed with GX8?

• Stuff over the GX7

• Photo: Dual I.S. (Body 4-axis / Lens 2-axis), Video: HYBRID O.I.S.+ (5-axis)

• 1/3 Step Wider Dynamic Range

• Multiple Panoramic mode: 'Standard' (Imaging Priority) Max. 8176 x 1920 Pixels & 'Wide' (Angle Priority) 8176 x 960 Pixels.

more to come

• @zigizigi It works only in P, A, S modes in movie record, whilst recording if you select the AF/AE Lock choices and the HOLD menu selection = ON, then hit the AF/AE lock button you should be good to go. Toggle the AF/AE lock button to show indication on screen / release focus.

• @driftwood Does AF/AE Lock button eventually work unlimited while recording video? Or is it traditional Pana style: works only one time before pressing rec?

• The menus and a few vid clips. Barely had time to do anything as only just received it yesterday pm.

• Thanks Vitaliy

igorek7, thanks for the link to the Richards review.

• What does this mean for stabilized video shooting? Will the GX8 have it or not?

For now as I understand - sensor stab is for still images.

• @Vitaliy

"For video recording, 5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S.+ (Optical Image Stabilizer Plus) which has been available in Panasonic’s professional video camera development, corrects complex movement for more stable imagery."

"In video cameras HYBRID OIS means optical OIS + electronic stabilizer, not sensor stabilizer."

What does this mean for stabilized video shooting? Will the GX8 have it or not?

I read people like the Panasonic video camera stabilization, is this marketing or will there be a difference. I found the GX7 stills stabilization acceptable, could have been better, but still OK, and would have loved to have it for video, so at least PR says there will be something, the question is what exactly it is, and how good. What are your thoughts?

• According to this review http://photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-gx8-review/

When Taking Photos with:

• Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. + Body I.S. (Dual I.S.)

• Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S.

• Other lenses = Body I.S.

When Taking Videos with:

• Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on)

• Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on)

• Other lenses = N.A.

In other words, E-stabilization for video only to help lenses with in-lens O.I.S. (?)

• @bealbuoy

In video cameras HYBRID OIS means optical OIS + electronic stabilizer, not sensor stabilizer.

• According to PR (see Vitaliy's post post above):

"For video recording, 5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S.+ (Optical Image Stabilizer Plus) which has been available in Panasonic’s professional video camera development, corrects complex movement for more stable imagery."

• If they disabled the OIS for video...that's just...dropping the ball. Scandalous! :D They always do that, always keep the customers in check for the next model with that crucial feature finally unlocked. I got too hyped too quickly over this camera. But then again maybe GH5 will have it. Imagine if they don't put that feature in GH5? Shooting themselves in the foot.

• Yes very confusing indeed. Some say it doesn't work for video at all, others claim it works for 1080p only, Panny don't clarify it either:)

• I'm confused about stabilizer. The press release states 5 axis Hybrid OIS+ for video. The Canadian guys told the new stabilizer doesn't work in video mode. Did they mean just this new Dual IS? So what the heck is Hybrid OIS then? How does it work?

I always thought that 5 axis Hybrid OIS found in Panasonic camcorders is a kind of sensor shift tech. Seems like it's not. The results are stunning for their camcorders, however.

Anyone to make it clear? Will this 5 axis Hybrid OIS work with manual lenses in video mode?

• So OIS in video for 1080p and 4k or just FHD?

• Did it say 24p "unlimited" in the press release or did I eat too many microwave nachos? Color looks like Sony.

• From the official announcement two things were a nice surprise for me:

• "For video recording, 5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S.+ (Optical Image Stabilizer Plus)"

• 2.5mm Mic Jack

The battery appears to be the BLG12-type, the same type as in FZ1000 and G7,6,...

• Two things would be really interesting to know: What size of battery it takes? And what crop factor is present in 4K video?