Personal View site logo
Panasonic FZ1000 1", 4K video, superzoom, official topic
  • 297 Replies sorted by
  • Cheers for the tip, the iDynamic was set at Standard. Turned it off, helped a little but not much :-( its just as you described @belfeyman bright lights and the blacks are fine, but when its that sort of dim light, murky, it just has this mess of speckled noise, even when running a low ISO. So if the ISO is low, say 200-400, why is that digital noise cropping up to spoil the picture. I can under stand it at ISO 3200 or something, but not say 200-400. Again, maybe i just havnt worked out the correct setting or best way to film these situations. Still a fab camera though :-)

• Hi Rich, are the speckles you mention white pixels?

It's another issue with this camera - it creates white pixels at certain exposures, even at low ISO. It was discussed extensively in this thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3749799

• Chris Taylor's video is good in that it shows both the strengths and the weaknesses of the FZ1000. In clear light everything looks great, but the footage shot in the dark (1:10, 3:10 and 4:33) shows a massive amount of artifacts. In fact, none of the video footage shot in lower light situations is very crisp, especially compared to the clean and sharp time-lapse sections that are obviously made with hi-res photos. I cannot say I'm particularly impressed by the video quality of this sample.

Performance from the FZ1000 is outstanding. The camera is able to capture its first image after being turned on in less than 1 second and has virtually no shutter lag when the AF system has already focused. Allowing the AF system to work lets the camera capture its images in just 1/10 to 2/10 of a second, depending on the zoom and lighting conditions.

As one of the first point-n-shoot cameras on the market to offer 4K video recording, the FZ1000 is definitely a step ahead of the competition. Adding this to Panasonic's already terrific video recording capabilities and controls makes this camera a must for any aspiring videographer or anyone else looking to take full advantage of their 4K HDTV with their home movies. Offering recording in both MPEG4 and AVCHD, you have plenty of options for compression and quality.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz1000/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz1000-review.html

phantom31.jpg
    800 x 470 - 83K
  • Solar eclipse in 4K : max intelliZoom

• @Vitaliy Is a firmware hack or improvement in the works for the FZ1000? If so, can we have some info on it? Details? Thanks, Brennan

• New Firmware for DMC-GH4 "NEW Apr. 22, 2015" ... I think we have to wait for new firmware for FZ1000 soon...

• @chaoscloud I seem to be fortunate and have none of those white speckles. Low-light / night shots are getting better as I tinker. Still love the camera for the money and the lens.

@mvesseur this shows some good night shots, doesnt look to disappointing for a £600 camera with a 25-400mm lens and 4k. Be nice to know what all the settings were in the clip though

When I have loads of money, I will spend a good few grand on a camera, then I can complain lots if its a bit disappointing or a bit noisy in low light ;-)

If there is one thing I would like, is the option to have 30 and 60fps. When I go on holiday to countries that use 60hz, when I'm recording at 25fps with a shutter of 50 (for example), lights etc flicker madly. So I have to fiddle often to get rid of it. Not much of an issue as it can be worked around, but why not just let us have all options available to us ! Is it such a big deal to enable 30 and 60fps on UK versions and vice versa !!

• Are there any videos posted featuring the FZ1000 zooming in and out, and holding focus. It's something I often need to do for industrial clients and I haven't been able to find any good examples.

• About shooting Wide Angle in UHD video mode.

As I understand there is a crop in this mode of about 1.28 , 25->32mm (35mm equivalent), Has anyone tried a wide angle converter on their FZ1000? Any recommendations for a light weight reasonably sharp for 4k video converter? I think the outer edges may be a bit blurry as the camera crops in the UHD mode.

This would make the UHD recording much more practical indoors, for video and photographing moving subjects. Otherwise panorama mode would do.

Thanks for your replies,

Kars

• Vitaly, i can hope, that you start work on the firmware to the camera? It all is well, except for limited-time video recording.

• @snh

For now I do not work on this firmware. We'll see how it goes later.

• Is anyone experiencing aliasing or moire issues with this cam? I consider the gh2 to have acceptable levels in this area. So anything beyond gh2 levels won't work for me.

• I've been doing some wide angle adaptor searching, and I think the 0,7 is about the sweet spot for UHD video, giving about an 24mm of 35mm equivalent view angle.

1) Since the UHD is a cropped sensor mode, could I use a 58mm thread and use a downsize ring?

2) in regard to adaptors many are labelled camera specific, but in what way are adaptors camera specific? is there more then thread type and diameter I should take into account?

3) I'm considering these adaptors, planing to take one up in the mountains for panoramic UHD video shots, what are your thoughts? A: Raynox HD-7062 Pro 0.7x 62 B: Olympus WCON07 C: Olympus Camedia WCON-14B D: HD-6600PRO Wide Angle 0.66x E: SIOCORE 58mm 0.7x

Thanks for the replies.

• @cas1....I don't think you'll find any of those cheap adapters are worth a bean shooting 4k on a 1" sensor , at least not raynox.

I read this is the best but requires some mod -

Sony VCL-DEH08R ...made for the sony r1

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VCL-DEH08R-Conversion-DSC-R1-Digital/dp/B000BOPENI

or an easier solution that only needs stepping up ....Sony VCL-DH0774

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VCL-DH0774-Conversion-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000PH00EE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436480673&sr=1-1&keywords=Sony+VCL-DH0774

• Thanks Kurt,

I think Panasonic really screwed up with the 35mm like fov in the UHD mode :( Maybe a G7 with a 14-140 will work better, although I love the fz zoom reach, as I've shot some very cool close ups with my current fz150. You see I love hiking and weight and speed are big factors to be fast enough to grab that moment and don't hold up my partner with my photography and video, which I do plenty. The Sony RX10 II sounds nice too, but 1300 euro is too steep.

Your second recommendation sounds heavy, nearly half a kilo. Though I'm careful with my equipment, I think it may too much for the FZ1000. Also considering the weight I need to carry up, together with the 25% field of vision gain it's looking less attractive. Mayby the FZ300 will bring some relieve, though I've not heard any technical details about it yet.

Thanks for the help Kurt!

• Summary prepared a wedding, pictured with FZ 1000 ,FHD 50p,edit with EDIUS 7

password: cortoA&Es

• The zooming in and out is a bit clunky, nothing like the zooms on ENG style lenses or camcorders.
    The focus will not hold, as the lens has floating elements.
    The lever on the hand grip works better than the manual ring, which is fly by wheel adjusting (if set to zoom), and very unpredictable.
    I really hope they improve the zoom function on the new fz300!

• Wow, that's damning, you're locked down on a stationary subject and focus drifts? Is that what you're saying?

• Image-quality of the FZ1000 is competitive and visibly improved over previous generations. The output is perfectly usable to ISO 400 with a gradual decrease in maximum print sizes thereafter. Metering is good and colors are not perfect but acceptable after some tweaking.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 is extremely usable and has unequalled versatility. Video is particularly well-integrated and this digital camera offers one of the most seamless experiences for it.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/panasonic/fz1000/review

• @Christaylor425 if you're not dead, please continue with your list of tips. I like what you say. I went from GH2 to NX1 and didn't like the NX1 and think it underperforms its specs. So I recently started with the FZ1000 with mixed results but remain optimistic, at worst, it's a good stopgap/inexpensive until the BIG THING that comes out next that will for sure have awesome specs, a high price and end up disappointing everyone. I've noticed more than desirable noise in murky lighting and a less than mind blowing dynamic range. Seems no better and maybe worse than GH2 actually, but I'm still new to the camera. I think I can live with the noise (I pretend it's film grain).
    The build quality of the FZ1000 is kinda shitty, especially compared to the tank that was my NX1. But GH2 also had crap build quality and I had three of them and still have the one I abused that shit out of filming on windswept beaches along the pacific ocean for years and it works flawlessly to this day. The SD card on my beater GH2 stopped clicking into place for a while but the door kept it engaged, then about a year ago, it fixed itself and the SD cards again fit perfectly. Probably some sorta nano self healing technology right guys?

UPDATE: shot a location today that I've shot before using NX1 and GH2 among other cams. FZ1000 produces significantly less aliasing and moire than NX1 when capturing 4k and viewing in 4k. Some people aren't bothered by aliasing and moire, if it bothers you a lot, FZ1000 can be seen as affordable replacement/alternative. The video image of the NX1 is superior in several areas, but not in moire and aliasing reduction.

• I meant while zooming in and out it will not stay in focus. Focus stays put when stationary.
    Sorry if it seemed damning, but it does have its benefits, like the 5 axis stabilization, which combined with a simple glidecam can work marvelously.
    Also wish the 1080p MP4 bitrate was higher, maybe 50mbps?

• Tip, Adorama is in essence selling these for $699 as you get a $100 gift cert now. At least of last week. BH is still $799 but you get free Ruggard holster bag.