Personal View site logo
sony's new high speed mode
  • Perhaps someone with more knowledge about video resolution and processing than I can add some insight, but when I view the scaled 1080p hs mode videos at 480fps and 960fps, released for the rx10 ii and the rx100 iv, I see a visibly apparent vertical resolution higher than that stated by the specs. And the specs tell us that the horizontal resolution is higher than the vertical, almost double, percentage wise related to a 16:9 frame, for these two modes. The 240fps mode is scaled at exactly 16/9.

240fps = 1824 x 1026
    480fps = 1676 x 566
    960fps = 1136 x 384

...so the idea ...is sony using that additional horizontal res to process a higher overall apparent resolution in the 1080 output ? I guess we'll have to wait for the cameras shooting resolution charts for a definitive answer, but that's what my eyes see.

ps....interestingly, have all the youtube samples have been stripped of all resolutions offerings other than 360p ?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I guess my point is .....that the 480fps mode has a total of 919,616 pixels. Well 720p has 921,600. So why didn't sony just scale this at 16:9 ratio and achieve true 720p for the 480fps ? They're using almost the same number of pixels ! The same holds true for the 960fps mode , even more so. It has more than enough pixels to make true 480p 16:9 footage.

• since sensor read in horizontal lines so it is always faster than vertical as you have to finish one line before going to the next one

• so you're saying the sensor reads 1000 pixels faster if they're on one line, versus being on separate lines...i.e that there's a reading lag when the sensor jumps from one line to the next ? Does the sensor read the horizontal line completely at one time ?

...would like a little more detailed explanation .

• It's the same as Casio high speed modes. The higher tje speed, the wider the aspect ratio. People came up with all sorts of ways to apply it... like turning 90 degrees and stacking images side by side.

But basically. it limits the highest speeds to specialty and novelty uses. I used to use 300fps to shoot videos of fights for analysis and education. The things you can learn from that are incredible but you won't be using it for storytelling.

• @Leto - so the casio's outputed the video like that, 'cause sony is scaling and outputting to 1080p ? And the 960fps mode looks better than 380 lines. I want to know why . And com'on, you mean people were shooting dv movies in 480i and showing them in theaters , and you don't think the 480fps mode is useful ? Didn't david lynch shoot inland empire on a sony pd150 ...a dv camera ? Ah dancer in the dark...the celebration ....can I go on. I think alot of folks will get some utility out of the hs mode in these cameras. I mean, you gotta a s16 sensor shooting a higher resolution image than s16, constant f2.8 lens, reading the full sensor which means shoots at 24mm, which can also shoot a 1000 fps, and costs a little more than a grand, fits in a small bag and also shoots 20mpxl images at 14fps....that's pretty fuxkin' amazing in my book. Have you checked out the prices of used aaton's ? Unless there's a fire, this camera will sell millions....get in line....and to me as well !

• Not saying the camera isn't good/useful... I want one badly. I love shooting high speed video.

What I'm saying is the aspect ratio and resolution of tje high speed modes is going to make it impractical to intercut with higher quality normal speed recording for storytelling. The differences will just be too jarring. But for documentary work it will be huge. Also for SCIENTIFIC applications. You really can capture so much not visible to the naked eye. This is not like twixtor where the frames are interpolated, this is actual high speed video and I know from experience how useful that can be and tjis is a huge leap forward for consumer-level priced high speed video.

• I used 300fps for analyzing fights. That was low res stuff on Casio... I'll gladly give up 60 frames each second for 6 1/2 times the resolution and a vastly superior compression scheme!!