Personal View site logo
Sony A7r II new 4K FF beast with 5 axis stabilizer
  • 376 Replies sorted by
  • From Dpreview:

Sony says the on-sensor phase-detection AF can be used with A-mount lenses using the simpler LA-E3 adapter, rather than the LA-E4 that had an SLT mechanism built in. At the press launch in New York we even got a glimpse of the a7R II autofocusing Canon EF lenses using a Metabones electronic adapter. Focus appeared to be on par with OVF focus on a native Canon body, and the AF experience itself didn't appear to be limited simply because you're using a third party lens (full coverage and tracking are available).

On-sensor phase detection elements cover 45% of the sensor, which may sound small but actually translates to around 67% coverage in each direction. While this is some way behind level of coverage offered on Samsung's NX1 (or even Sony's APS-C cameras), it's still a considerably larger area than that covered by any full frame DSLR's focus sensor.

It also gains an electronic first curtain shutter option to eliminate shutter vibration, which was a problem with the original a7R at longer focal lengths. It also offers a fully electronic silent shutter.'

• Hoping the price will come down.

• This looks like real cutting edge tech, and I hope it galvanizes the other turtlecams into action. Interesting to see how Samsung responds, hopefully they will drop the recording time limit.

Price. One thing enough to kill it as widespread camera.

Also two other cameras are much more important for camera industry, as Sony that they are able to improve sensor speed very significantly.

• It's so amazing to see Sony leading the way, especially after all the crap they produced after buying Minolta. This looks like real cutting edge tech, and I hope it galvanizes the other turtlecams into action. Interesting to see how Samsung responds, hopefully they will drop the recording time limit.

• Impressive Sony! My biggest fear is actually one simple thing: battery capacity. This camera has everything needed for compact run and gun. But have they improved battery from the first gen A7?

• Porca vacca!

• What do you guys thinking now ? Will be an A7s II ? Soon ?

• @kurth Yes, thanks for the reminder! It might work out best to pair either of those two with an A7s so use them only for the hi speed stuff. It's a shame they won't do SLog2.

ETA: I was wrong. That RX10 does SLog2. Nice!

• Holy crap. I can't wait for August!

• @SuperSet - obviously if hs is your need, the other 2 cameras are far more interesting.

• Still only 720p at 120fps? My A7s does this already so really, it's only the addition of 4K internal that's the selling point to me.

• I read the super35 full pixel readout mode shoots 5k ! omg ! What'll they do with the S camera ? It'll most likely shoot a million iso ! Sony released 3 cameras of the year....on one day !

• If nothing else, this will force Panasonic to release the S-Log for the GH4. Sony have produced what seems to be an awesome camera here. Pricing is not unreasonable either --- ~$3200.

• In Super 35mm mode, the camera collects a wealth of information from approximately 1.8x as many pixels as 4K by using full pixel readout without pixel binning and oversamples the information to produce 4K movies with minimal moire and ‘jaggies’.

This is the part I like best. But the frame rate is just 30 fps.

• Awesome camera and more expensive. Sony is breaking the rules.

• Looks good. Fingers crossed for 10-bit hdmi from the s II

• Impressive. VERY Impressive.

• @Tron

For two compacts introduced it must :-)

• Impressive specs, I wonder if the faster sensor read-out will reduce the rolling shutter substantially. ISO 3200 looks clean.

sales39.jpg
    592 x 378 - 47K