Personal View site logo
is it possible to get this laptop to edit 4k?
  • Hi all,

I have a laptop for quick edits (<5 mins) and cc on the road. But now that I've moved on to GH4, I can bearly edit 4k footage with 1/8 resolution, and adding any filter is out of the question. My output needs to be in 4k. I'm wondering whether it's possible to simply upgrade it rather than getting a brand new one.

Current config: i7-3630QM 2.4GHz 6MB 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD GT 650M 2GB gDDR3

I can expand to 16g ram or add SSD (usb 3.0). I don't want to get a new one as this is still newish by my std, but would hate it even more if the upgrades turn out to be useless...

So, what do u guys think? Is there anyway to salvage this laptop?

Tkx! Cindy.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • First thing first is to try another software. Before any upgrades.

• wow Vitaliy, that's fast:)

currently on cc 2014. which software would u recommend? Vegas?

• Something lite

Like Magix offers or PowerDirector.

• I have good results with Edius, but haven't edited 4k footage yet.. But it's pretty damn quick on Core CPUs on 1080p footage.. and I haven't any special hw, my specs are i7-4770S, 8GB DDR3, GT640 2GB Export to h264 with few filters is done in about 3/4 of footage length..

• You can make proxies(720p or 1080p) during your editing and replace the shot with the original 4K scan when rendering.

• Yes.

I have the previous version of this machine and handles GH4 4K files fine. Load them to the SSD then render to the hard drive. The previous version had same specs except for processor and was a little less expensive. I know you do not want to get a new machine but this works well, and you can use it at home for full project or in the field.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=1083623&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

• Search "cuda hack." Enable mercury playback in Premiere and see the night and day difference

• Also those partial resolution playback options dont help much with GOP type video. You should be able to playback the footage at full res ( will scale to 1080 on your pc) just fine in premiere. Also check power settings in windows or power4gear if it's an asus and select "high performance". Know someone recently with same issue and it was bc pc was in battery saving mode. Also go in Nvida preferences and then into 3D settings. Go into application 3d settings and tell it to always use the Nvidia card for Adobe Premiere. Shoukd be pull down menus to do this.