Personal View site logo
Sharp Aquos 4K Next TV
  • Sharp is back to their roots. Again we see RGBY panel, plus also separate subpixels for each pixel.

Result is "8K" provided by Sharp X8-Master Engine PRO upscaling SoC.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2925432/sharps-latest-4k-tv-adds-yellow-subpixel-for-8k-resolution.html

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • A TV that is unable to receive and display an actual 8k image should not be advertised as "something 8k" at all. Plus I don't think a lack of resolution is what people are missing in most of today's 4k TVs.

Sharp has made some really impressive TVs in the past, especially regarding glare reduction and good color reproduction. But if they stick with LCD, I don't see how they could close the gap to what OLEDs can do today.

• A TV that is unable to receive and display an actual 8k image should not be advertised as "something 8k" at all. Plus I don't think a lack of resolution is what people are missing in most of today's 4k TVs.

No one advertise it as 8K TV.

Does it have much more pixels than usual 4K set? Yep, of course.

Sharp has made some really impressive TVs in the past, especially regarding glare reduction and good color reproduction. But if they stick with LCD, I don't see how they could close the gap to what OLEDs can do today.

No one is closing gap with OLED. Actual OLED production and sales are very small (and LG only).

• If the statement from LG that they reached 80% yield in their TV-sized OLED production is true, then I think we will see a dramatic increase of OLED TVs being sold, a decrease of prices, and other vendors will sooner or later need to rethink their LCD-only decision.

• LG said it expects to sell 600,000 OLED television panels this year and 1.5 million next year

It is still tiny amounts. But good progress.

In the future it is clear that OLED can be made much cheaper than LCD.