Personal View site logo
Mic decision help?
  • I got the gh4 , Im wondering what you guys recommend me to get for a decent mic for the Gumball3000 Rally this upcoming week. I used to have the VMP but sold it , now I have the Choice of buying a used one of a guy in SF for $160 or buy a new VMP GO from a camera store in SF for $100.

what do you guys recommend i do? Ill also be renting a voigtlander 25mm lens when Im in Sf as well for $55 for 4 days.

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Just as a hint: There´s now coming up the new version of the VMP, with a new capsule (better sensitivity / less noise) and the rycote shockmount system (which is way better than the rubber bands of the original VideoMic Pro). IF you plan to get it, don´t oversee, that it´s now also a little bit bigger. So don´t order a deadcat (which was designed for the original VMP) - They just don´t fit anymore ^^.

I think in general the VMP (or now the "VMPR" Rycote version) is more or less the best & least complex solution (if you don´t want to carry around an external recorder and / or a bigger directional mic - AND if you want to feed the audio directly into your camera). On the other hand: If you want to go externaly (or if you want to invest more), you could also check out the new RODE NTG4 or NTG4+ (the "+" is coming with an internal rechargeable battery) - Plus a compatible recorder ^^. You could even try to use the NTG4+ and feed it directly into your camera (maybe with a voltage control / XLR to 3.5mm adapter inbetween). Though I don´t know, if it can provide enough signal strength for a direct feed (or to use it with a passive volume regulator and / or XLR to 3.5mm Adapter inbetween). ^^

LG

• Yeah don't go for the Rode GO if you have any bigger budget at all. A used VMP makes more sense, or the newer version if you can afford that.

• ok thanks ill get the vmp then for $160.

• New AT8024 may be worth to check it out

• I've been happy with the NT4 straight into the GH4. My NT4 came with a cable with 3.5mm plug and the mic can be battery powered in lieu of phantom power.

• found even better deal on a vmp with deadcat for $120.

• I too am very happy with SE electronics Promic laser.

tested it against VMP and it excelled. great definition I use it on gh2 with level 1 or 2 recording and if sound is too hot you can switch -10db attenuator, which is very practical, also the low cut is very effective for taking care of most if not all handling noise.

• Got the mic but I cant seem to get the foam on the windscreen or vice versa any suggestions? lol besides having to cut the foam or the windscreen so it will fit? I have two of the winscreens the Black one and a grey one

• @JLemos Would SE ELectronic Promic Laser mounted on GH4 good for interview ? I am using 12-35 mm Pana

• @jclmedia: So you got the original VideoMic Pro - Right?
    Not the new rycote edition. Which windscreens do you have now exactly?
    Btw.: Most of the windscreens are quite tight on the foam ^^.

LG

• Yeah the VideoMic Pro, No I got it used off a kid for $170 came with 2 Dead cats the Black one and then this silver/white one that isnt as good he said. the Foam was missing so i ordered it off B&H for $11. It was kinda hard to get it on there but it is a tight squeeze like you said. looks like its fine now tho wish it went over the back of the mic alittle but its good for now.

• @tinbeo - whatever mic you use, it will need to come off the camera and onto a mic stand

• i was thinking to add some kind of splitter to the camera. plug in an on-camera mic such as VMP, then also plug in a lav (wired or wireless) when i need to do an interview. this would avoid having to remove the on-camera VMP and put it onto a mic stand to get it closer to the person. anyone done this?

• @mrbill in a gun and run situation here -;) , not a sit-down interview

• I got SE Electronic today its brighter and more omni then VMP also has better mount. VMP wins for me.