Personal View site logo
Tascam DR-70D, more and better
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks @stauffec, I hadn't thought about attenuating the signal with the cable itself, I'll give that a go if I can find sescom cables in the UK.

Seems odd to have to do this, though. Surely the whole point of having line/cam and output level settings is to solve this problem out of the box.

Also, I just tried sending the headphone output to the GH4 - it actually gives a much cleaner signal. You'll lose the ability to monitor but may be a workaround for some.

• I believe people have been using a -25db attenuator cable and setting it to line out. I have had similar issues, mucked with the cables, and while I saw some improvement I can't say it was anywhere close to the internal recordings.some people with GHs though sware by the sescom cable. My primary concern though is to have audio just decent enough to use for syncing, not actually heard.

• I've been using the 70d for the last week and found it outputs a very noisy signal to the camera. The internal recordings are great and noise is not really a problem, however when I output to my GH4 I get a large amount of hiss on the track.

For settings on the 70d I have the Output Gain set to Cam and on the GH4 the Mic Level Adjust set to -12dB but the noise is still very noticeable. By comparison, when I use a H5 with the same setup (same mic, cables, gh4 settings etc) I get camera audio that is much cleaner and closer to the internal recording on the H5. Other mics that plug in directly don't have this problem either.

The hiss is a constant level too - whether I have the Output Level from the 70d at -100dB or +12dB the hiss is the same level, which makes me think the camera out signal must just be poor quality in general.

Has anyone else had this problem or know a workaround? Syncing audio in post isn't exactly hard but it would be nice to have the option of fairly clean camera audio to start with.

• From recordings Im hearing of the different top model tascam portable records, they seem to have noticable hiss/noise both with onboard mics and with external mics. I was surprised to hear this as I thought the preamps were of a level to not hear much noise at all. Some scenarios seem worse than others, so maybe it was the way they were recorded, or the levels they were recorded at? Should I expect to have a very low noise signal coming from one of these guys?

• I have been using it now for a week and really enjoy it. One thing I'm not clear on though is the balance/pan functionality. Can anyone confirm if pan only applies to line out and headphone out, and not also the stereo files written to the card? I found that a but I unintuitive. Specifically if I setup 2 mics and then pan to mix them, the stereo file written contains the pure left and right channels even though the headphones are panned.

• @brianl - not really, but I'm not a sound guy either. 60D was "good enough" fidelity for me, and the same goes for the 70D.

• Thanks Sangye, do you notice improved audio fidelity?

• @brianl - 4 XLR / 1/4" TRS combo inputs instead of 2, built-in mics, better form factor for mounting under camera, carrying in a bag, or mounting to a rig, more solid construction, no noticeable steps in the (still digital unfortunately) pots. I owned a first generation 60D and had a love hate relationship with it, the 70D is all love. Really can't beat it for the price.

Room for improvement (70D mark II?) is in battery life, making the pots analog rather than digital, and although they're already great of course the pre-amps can always get better.

• How about some opinions if this a meaningful, significant or worthwhile upgrade from a tascam 60d (first generation)?

• Are the built-in mics on this of camparable quality to those on the dr100mkii? Trying to decide which is a better option for me. I dont need the extra mic inputs of the 70d, but I like the form factor. It would be nice to use the onboard mics in certain situations as well, so that may be the deciding factor.

• ah bummer :(

thanks

• @kitano

This worked only during NAB.

• Tascam DR-70D + Sony Sound Forge Pro 11 for $199 Use BHNAB2015 code http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086798-REG/tascam_dr_70d_4_channel_audio_recording.html

Hi @Vitaliy_Kiselev

How do you apply the code on BHP, I can't seem to find the option?

Thanks

• Thanks for posting my review earlier Vitaliy :)

I've been using the 70d for a bit now, and im still satisfied, there was an absurd sale the other week for $179!!!, that's nutz. I did have some odd noise issue which others have had, but i somehow got rid of it by accident or it just went away... and i am unable to recreate it. Almost seems like there's a short burn in period.

In any case, i still feel this is the recorder to get for the DSLR shooters.

• Right different beast but as you know GAS will take over and people will loose all sensibility and sell all their recorders, house and children.

Never saw people selling recorders to get another recorder costing around 4x-5x and build for people recording concerts, sport events and such.

• Yes, the F8. Right different beast but as you know GAS will take over and people will loose all sensibility and sell all their recorders, house and children.

• Just remember Zoom will raise the bar and come out with a new 8 track recorder up ahead.

You mean their F8 recorder? it is absolute different beast in different price range.

• Just remember Zoom will raise the bar and come out with a new 8 track recorder up ahead. If you don't get it now at this great price, I am sure everyone will see the discount later again.

• @majoraxis

Yep, very good package.

Recorders progress and prices are very good now.

• Can't say no to buying a Tascam DR-70D for $199. Thanks Vitaliy!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I really like this review. Thanks for posting!

• I didn't say I need to "change" cards - I said I needed "access" - because I pull it out and put it in many times. Why? Simple - I want to offload the card! So if I record something, and want to offload it immediately, I have to go in and out all the time. I could use the usb, but I use the usb to power, so it is taken. I do that when f.ex. testing various mics and want to give the files immediately to process. Bottom line - the door is terrible. As to the noise levels the rating for the 70D is -120 EIN, I haven't used the R-26.

• How do the noise levels on the preamps compare to the R-26? Have they improved any in this model? I like my R-26 but the form factor and touchscreen interface are more difficult to use in a belt case or on the camera and the 70D looks much more useable on set.