Personal View site logo
Quad and Hexa copters
  • 423 Replies sorted by
  • Gong Hay Fat Choy!

• If you fly a drone and post footage on YouTube, you could end up with a letter from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Earlier this week, the agency sent a legal notice to Jayson Hanes, a Tampa-based drone hobbyist who has been posting drone-shot videos online for roughly the last year.

The FAA said that, because there are ads on YouTube, Hanes's flights constituted a commercial use of the technology subject to stricter regulations and enforcement action from the agency. It said that if he did not stop flying “commercially,” he could be subject to fines or sanctions.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-faa-says-you-cant-post-drone-videos-on-youtube

• Wow, this FAA mess could be crazier than I think, big government! They really need to put clear clear guidelines down on this thing. Maybe just move over the videos to vimeo then lol

• It seems the US government is happy to allow commercial drone flights for those folks who can afford the legal fees necessary to file for an "exemption." I find it particularly interesting that the primary supplier of exemption paperwork to the FAA is a Chicago law firm that charges between $5000-$7500 to offer their "assistance" with obtaining the exemption. Unfortunately this makes the price of entry impossible for many small operators who are just trying to start up or expand their filmmaking business. ETA: Ah, you also need a pilot's license!

• Lily Drone..

Here's the official site: https://www.lily.camera/ Price is $519 including shipping if you pre-order by June 15. It's $1,019 if you pre-order it after June 15. Expected release date is February 2016 which is a pretty long way off.

Hands on: http://www.slashgear.com/lily-camera-drone-hands-on-aerial-video-no-pilot-required-12383161/

• The Lily footage doesn't look as chaotic as one would expect without a gimbal, it may use some kind of software image stabilization. I wonder if 5 axis Olympus-style IBIS could work effectively on a drone like this - no possibility of down-facing shots obviously, but still good for clean horizontal shots. Or perhaps just run with two IBIS cameras, one down-facing and the other horizontal. Then you just select a straight down or horizontal framing shot on your wrist remote.

ETA - Slashgear article describes digital image stabilization and use of multiple drones for different shots. I still think it would be better to have the two camera angles on a single drone, less drones to worry about crashing into things. Plus with only a 20 min flight time and two hour recharge cycle, its best to save the second drone for the next sequence of shots.

• it says it comes with two cameras front and bottom. Really want to get my hands on some footage to grade. I think it'll be a fun toy to mess around with for the introductory half price. hope they keep on improving on in from now till then and maybe a manual mode in future. Stick that intel avoidance tech and its the beginning of SKYNET ha

• 14330943218720.jpg
    487 x 685 - 354K
  • For anyone that remembers me, I am a GH2 owner that films in Japan. I stopped posting for the most part a couple years ago, and there are a couple of reasons. 1, I am now a daddy, and two, I have spent the last two years learning to build and fly multicopters with the intention of doing film eventually with a GH2, or similar camera. Though I am still working with a gopro 3+, I am starting to get work, and expect to put a larger camera in the air sometime this summer. The following video is from my 3rd medium-large build, a 680mm quadcopter with an Eagletree Vector flight controller (kicks ass over naza). I would appreciate any suggestions on improving the color in the video.